Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm hoping for some ideas or maybe even someone who knows abiut a certain app I'm looking for.
I have installed an android system in my cruze along with a camera.
I'd love to be able to record my journeys behind the wheel, but without doing it manually everytime I start the car.
There are a lot of apps out there but seems all are created to use a smartphone, and doesnt seem to work with my setup.

Anyone out there with an android system and dash camera that works?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Android isn't really suited for this task. You simply cannot get that functionality without a custom OS. Technically you can but it's a real hack and won't work well. No such OS exists because it's just not worth it compared to OSes that do (a real setup). Android also has very poor peripherals support that is more or less hacked together. External cameras almost always run their own protocol because that stuff just doesn't exist on Android natively.

I'm sorry but that's just the way it is. Google is trying to make these low level services more accessible in 'Android 2.0' but that's years away

Tldr. Buy a real dashcam.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look at Dailyroads Voyager PRO.

I used it a couple years back for a dash cam in a no longer activated phone. Thinking about using it again. 4wheelers on teh freeway are getting insane.
Already tried since it looked great, and has the functions needed. However, this app along with others only works with smartphones/tablets and not with external camera.

I have figured out I need another type of APP (ADAS/DVR) just seems these apps are few and poorly designed with very limited options.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I have, let's see now, 7 smartphones, 2 of them active.
I'm thinking of finding a way to mount them and using two per car, one front, one rear.
The problem is they tend to run warm when used indoors as security cams, I'm afraid they'd overheat and shut themselves off if in direct sunlight in a car.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I have, let's see now, 7 smartphones, 2 of them active.
I'm thinking of finding a way to mount them and using two per car, one front, one rear.
The problem is they tend to run warm when used indoors as security cams, I'm afraid they'd overheat and shut themselves off if in direct sunlight in a car.
Yes they will.overheat

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
You can get a dash cam from under $100 up depending on how good a camera you want. They have a mini memory card and it holds up to 5 hours on a 32 gig. I have a second card for use if I want to record a longer trip or record an accident, then I would swap them so as not to wipe the incident until I can put it on my computer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts