Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has come up before or not in the right section. I have a 2014 LTZ and a few weeks ago don't know why but put my hand on the dash above the glove box and it felt like it was going to melt. The next day it was the same thing. I now realize that it only gets super hot when the AC is running. Is anyone else having this issue. Also checked to see if filter was clogged and nothing. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Did you consider the solar radiation penetrating the windshield and heating the dashboard?

Reactions: spacedout

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Did you consider the solar radiation penetrating the windshield and heating the dashboard?
Heck it was 48.3333 C this Weekend, that's 119 F here and I never touch my dashboard. If one was to put a thermometer on the dash I could imagine the darn thing bursting shooting out little balls of Mercury and hitting my good eye and making me radioactive and burning my hand as well. There are some things I never touch!

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Well it's 29c in Dayton right now.

My weather station measures solar intensity in a number of ranges. Right now it's reading 206 watts per square meter which is bright - but not seeringly bright.

I'm at 45 degrees north latitude and on the brightest days I'll top 1,200 watts per square meter. The max reading capable of my unit is 1,800 - but for me I'm happy with anything at 100 or brighter. Even on the clearest moonlit nights it reads 0 watts.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The only thing in the dash I'd expect to get hot is the heater core. I'm not sure where it is in the Cruze, but I thought it was closer to the center - people were finding the sides below the radio were warm from that.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Sorry if this has come up before or not in the right section. I have a 2014 LTZ and a few weeks ago don't know why but put my hand on the dash above the glove box and it felt like it was going to melt. The next day it was the same thing. I now realize that it only gets super hot when the AC is running. Is anyone else having this issue. Also checked to see if filter was clogged and nothing. Thanks in advance.
Hello jzeddead,

I see that you're having a concern with your dashboard feeling hot while the A/C is running. You have some great suggestions here, but if you're thinking you'd like to have a Chevy certified technician take a look at this, we'll gladly contact them on your behalf. Just send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership to get started.

Thanks for your time!

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Heater core is always hot, regardless where the temperature control is set or if the AC is on or off.

But with the AC on, cooling may be too much for your temperature setting, so the blend door will be opened heating up the duct work that goes along with automatic climate control.

What really gets hot with the AC on is the high side line of the compressor and the condenser, even hotter if you have insects blocking the air flow. Only time the evaporator gets hot if your system has a heat pump mode, doubt if you have that.

Can always tell if your blower motor is okay by judging the vent air flow. With the manual system, on high, will darn near blow you out of your seat. Only time my dash gets hot is when the sun hits it, has to be a dark color to limit windshield reflection.

·
Registered
39 Posts
On mine('14 2lt) the small compartment is actually cool when the A/C runs...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts