Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, 2015 6MT LT1, 40K - This has been on-going and seems to be getting worse. Middle to right side of the dash when I go over "sharp" seems or a jolt. I've checked the usual, glove box, anything loose, obvious screws or loose interior panels - nothing. I removed the glove box and the lower right interior panel (just below the glove box) - nothing. I would continue to disassemble but I am a bit scared to start removing the knee airbags to get a better look. Things are packed pretty tight and would like to get the fabric air bag panel off also but again - I don't want that thing going off or screwing up some sensor.

My question is, is there a shop manual that describes the R & R of the dash and associated components? I did a search on this site and the ever-popular youtube but nothing with that detail.

Nice car, 40 mpg, really no problems, its that rattle that makes the car feel cheap. Suggestions?

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes but its one of those things that sneak up on you and gets worse very slooooowly. Oddly is seems worse in the morning - before the sun heats up the dash.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sure its not that squirrel cage blower wheel rubbing on the shroud above it? Had, this problem with my Cruze, just dropped the blower motor and glued on 1 mm thick washers, three of them as I recall, where the mount meets the blower motor housing.

Glued them so they wouldn't fall off, kind of tight under there. This lowered that cage so it wouldn't hit that shroud anymore.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,126 Posts
Just for grins, pull the two plastic rivets holding the outer cabin filter cover and look inside for debris. Just remember that you cannot pull the filter out this way. Probably take 3 mintes to remove and replace.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,126 Posts
Just thought of another place to look. Pull the little mat out of the upper junk box on top of the dash, remove the two screws and pull forward and up gently until the whole assembly comes out. You can see into the dash to see if something is loose or in there. If you head is not small enough, look down through the windshield.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I did a drive test with the new Cruze Diesel, MT. For almost 2 hours I heard similar rattling you described. The car had less than 200 miles...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With the recent heat wave the rattle has diminished to almost zero so I cancelled my dealer visit. It will be back I'm sure - everything takes longer (and costs more) than first anticipated.

JK

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I have a rattle that comes and goes. I've isolated it to the plastic rear view mirror mount/housing that's flat against the windshield. Haven't found a permanent solution yet, only happens on certain rough roads.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Can you hear the rattle if you pound on the dash with your fist? Might be hard to find if you can't duplicate it somehow.

Removing the entire dash is difficult. You also have to remove the steering wheel. Disconnect the battery and let the car sit for a couple minutes so that the airbag system is disabled.

·
2,170 Posts
You can install massive subwoofers and then everything in your car will rattle equally. That was my solution.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mine too has recently developed a rattle somewhere in the dash. I have 4,900 miles on the clock. My tires (18 inch RS wheels) are inflated to 40psi and this may too have an impact on the road harshness being transmitted into the cabin.

An unrelated rattle has also started in the passenger side door panel near the upper corner closest to the small window area. I suspect it's due to the guy who tinted my windows popped out the top portion of the door panels in order to access the window weather seal and be able to tint below the weather stip line. I might purchase new panel locks (not sure what they are called) and take the panel off to ensure this rattle is gone - it's driving me nuts and is loud.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts