Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that are affected, I hope everyone remembered to "Spring forward". That means stays lighter longer at night and darker in the morning. FWIW warmer temps also. spring is here. For me, I just got back from VN and it is 12 hours different, so I have adjusted to that time change so 1 hour is nothing. The problem is making sure all the clocks are properly adjusted. Even my Atomic clocks that are supposed to automatically update but have a "DLST" switch on them that don't work until after the appointed time? My brother in law went to VN this morning so I had to mention he only has an 11 hour time diff not like me I had 12 hours so the 1 hour spring forward is nothing to him. But it will still be night there when day here and sleeping gets messed up for a while.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Still woke up early, even by DST standards.

We should just get rid of this tradition or choose to ignore it like Arizona.

Speaking of spring and airplanes, saw this this morning on the Washington Post - this is over Reagan National.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Still woke up early, even by DST standards.

We should just get rid of this tradition or choose to ignore it like Arizona.

Speaking of spring and airplanes, saw this this morning on the Washington Post - this is over Reagan National.

I saved this to my Washington DC pictures folder. Absolutely gorgeous.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
You know, one could argue, if somewhat tongue-in-cheek, that following any time other than the sun itself, is a form of government regulation.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Good thing I had the alarm on my phone set. I have 2 alarms to get up in the morning to as a single alarm usually isn't enough. I forgot about DST and didn't turn my clock ahead. My phone of course set itself automatically.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
You know, one could argue, if somewhat tongue-in-cheek, that following any time other than the sun itself, is a form of government regulation.
Prior to the advent of the railroads, we did use local solar time for everything. Railroads .Commerce Clause, which led the US Congress, at the lobbying of the Railroads, to establish four time zones in the US. Other countries followed suit and now we have 27 (I think) time zones around the globe. There are 24 primary zones, each theoretically representing 15 degrees of east-west arc. There are three zones that are 30 minutes off from the rest of the world. Time zones make sense when looked at as a tool for long range commerce. One of the quirks of the US time zone creation is that Congress put the bulk of the US population at the time into one time zone, making our Eastern Time Zone significantly wider than the other three zones. Again, this was done for reasons of interstate commerce.

DST, on the other hand, was created because industrial urban areas wanted more daylight at the end of the day. DST really makes no sense and switching back and forth was the compromise. I'd love to see us either go to DST year round or eliminate it entirely.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
I recall some jurisdictions experimenting with double daylight savings time a few years ago.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Tried to explain that to our wild turkeys, but they still fly to the top of my trees at sunset, and fly down at sunrise. One told me, in turkey talk, this hasn't changed.

But the time between sunrise and sunset is increasing, so spending more time goofing around than sleeping.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Hey Nick, weren't you around when Congress passed the first time zone laws? :)

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Yeah, but too young to pay attention. Ha, all my manual clocks were easy to set an hour ahead. But did have some problems with my Cruze. Did get it right the 3rd time. Like to get it to the nearest second.

·
2,254 Posts
Yep, I agree with jblackburn. I wish we could ignore it too.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I'll be the bad guy here. Daylight Saving Time. No s. :)

I like it. Having the sun come up a 5:00 in the morning kind of would not benefit most.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Had DST for a couple of years in a roll, schools complained, picking up kids in rural areas in the morning in the dark. But with standard time, dropping the same kids off in the dark at night.

Idea of DST was to save energy, but not very much, at CST in the winter would get dark at 4:30, with DST, dark at 5:30 PM.

Wife wanted lawn lamps, 24 of them, had a GE timer with stiff plastic tabs on it to program it, and had to change the times for each day, thumbnail was turning blue.

Saturday, found one of these.

For 12 bucks, a Smart Electrician Indoor Astronomical 7 Day Timer, nice push buttons. Can set one day at a time or the entire week, used the week. Has a yearly calendar from 2001 to 2099, ha, said in the year 2100 would have to buy a new one.

Can precisely set the sunset time for the norther latitude, and changes every day by itself. Sunday, it automatically switched to DST. And as each day goes by, a little longer, switches on the lights exactly at sunset. Use to be a weekly chore, now I can forget about it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like how my 2015 Cruze will set the time from my phone as soon as it bluetooths in. Easiest car I ever had to set the time in LOL.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
We should just set the time 1/2 in between and leave it. That way we get a bit more daylight in summer but don't have the hassle of changing the clocks twice a year and getting used to it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Weird thing here, is that we are only 90 miles west of the Eastern Time Zone, and they are already an hour ahead of us.

Four time zones in the Continental USA ain't enough. People that live in Marinette, WI and Menominee, MI only have to cross a creek to be either an hour ahead or behind.

When I use to hop in my airplane, was all Zulu time, maybe we should have stuck with that. Then we have both 12 and 24 hour time.

Whatever it is, its all arbitrary.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts