Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Daytime running lighta

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ChevyGuy 
#1 ·
So I'm about to buy HID headlights for my 2013 Cruze LTZ. From what I understand the more the HIDs turn on and off the shorter of a lifespan they have. I know that during the day my headlights and the orange DRLs are on. I don't like the way it looks with regular headlights on nor do I want to be driving around daytime with HIDs once I put them on. So I guess my question is, how can I make it where just the orange light is on not my headlights? I like the way that looks plus it's still something for safety.

#3 ·
I know that during the day my headlights and the orange DRLs are on.
Orange DRLs? News to me. In the US the low beam headlights are on at about 80% as a DRL. The parking lights are NOT on unless the headlights are on. Their purpose is to "mark" the corner of your car if one of the headlights burns out.

#4 ·
I know that during the day my headlights and the orange DRLs are on.
Orange DRLs? News to me. In the US the low beam headlights are on at about 80% as a DRL. The parking lights are NOT on unless the headlights are on. Their purpose is to "mark" the corner of your car if one of the headlights burns out.
I was messing around with my headlights while I was driving today using the car in front of me as a mirror. So maybe I'm wrong. But it was 8:00AM and I could of sworn the headlights were on along with the "parking lights." I thought the orange would be considered the DRL not the headlights themselves.

Maybe a fuse you can take out that will turn them off? Isn't there a DRL fuse?

#6 ·
I was messing around with my headlights while I was driving today using the car in front of me as a mirror. So maybe I'm wrong. But it was 8:00AM and I could of sworn the headlights were on along with the "parking lights." I thought the orange would be considered the DRL not the headlights themselves.
No. Daytime Running Lights are in effect when normal headlight function is off. In my Cruze, the DRLs only come on when the lights are in "Auto" and there's enough light to prevent the normal headlight function from kicking in (also, the car has to be in gear). In DRL mode, what I see is my headlights are on - but only 80% or so, and all the other lights are off.

You can turn the DRLs off by switching to "off" but you have to do that every time you start the car - unless you take the spring out that prevents it from staying "off".

I'm not sure what "parking lights with headlights" are called, but I think that's been a standard feature on all cars since 1968 or so. As I understand it, it's in case one head light is out. That way oncoming traffic can see that you are a car and not a motorcycle.

Now, Diode Dynamics has a cool light bulb - the parking light is white, but the turn signal is amber. $60/pair, but that seems like a good solution to me. Free shipping for forum members.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.