Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my wife got pulled over the other week for her taillights being dark (I wasn't entirely sure it was because of that - the sun was going down and was shining directly on the lights - you'd never see a completely stock light in those conditions either, but I digress).

Now, the lights are dark, but you can still see them just fine - that said, a set of brighter bulbs in there would definitely not be detrimental.

I am thinking of picking up the Diode Dynamics XP80s, but I wanted to make sure that buying four of those would be correct - I saw one thread where LEDs were installed (not sure the brand) and the trunk lights were basically on full-bright (like the brake lights being on), rather than just being taillights.

I just want to make sure that won't be the case with these. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
I don't remember what model DD I put in, but I had that problem. The wiring on the trunk lights are a bit odd. Both filaments are tied to power but only one is grounded. Works fine on "real" lights, but confuses LED systems that are expecting to see only the positive side switched. But a bit of electrical tape, or if you're willing, a clipped lead will fix that.

Reactions: MP81

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn't seem too difficult - maybe I'll shoot them an email and see if they plan to make something that just works without having to modify it, haha. LEDs definitely can be a bit funny when it comes to low power/"off" situations.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: Blasirl
1 - 5 of 5 Posts