Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I new here so excuse me if I posted in the wrong forum.
Here's the deal; Yesterday afternoon my wife took her 2011 Cruze LTZ auto trans to make a few short trips to return a few gifts. (we all know how that goes) I get a call from her about 3 hours later and she says the car wont start. Dead battery? She calls the AAA and I run out to lend some assistance. When I arrive on site I try the ignition and sure enough it's dead. She says the traction light came on and it didn't start. I notice that the wheels are turn full lock to the left. I try it and nothing but a very dim check engine light appears. The key is also hard to remove but eventually it came out. So, the AAA guys shows up and he connects his jumper box to the battery and it reads 9.4 volts. The engine starts and all seems ok but a noticeable ticking sound is coming from the area near firewall right side. Alternator? Anyway, she gets in my Blazer since I'm about to drive the Cruze home and maybe pick up a new battery at sears. Well I go to leave the parking spot and NO STEERING TO THE RIGHT! steers to the left but not to the right...WTF? So the AAA guys calls a rollback and we have it dropped at the local Chevy dealership which is where it is now. I called them this morning and told them exactly what happened as it posted here.
They will call after diagnostics. Now what? has anyone experienced this?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
You're the first to report no steering. I can believe the battery dying, so get one of those while you're at it. Hopefully the steering is a simple (read: inexpensive) solution of resetting the Electric Power Steering system. Welcome to CruzeTalk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks obrmd.
My wife just found a letter from Chevy dated January 2015 stating a possible problem with the NEGATIVE crimp at the battery. If that's the case, then yes add a new battery and the diagnostics are covered!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are a few more ditties while I'm waiting for the shop to call back. My wife says that she noticed a moan or low click from the steering column over the last week or two. The service stabilitac light is mentioned in the letter from Chevy along with numerous other service lights being affected by this negative battery cable crimp issue.
Just posting some food for thought.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The no power steering thing is explained in your owners manual.....page 9-4 Steering.

This will occur (no or reduced assist) anytime the car is left parked at full steering lock.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The no power steering thing is explained in your owners manual.....page 9-4 Steering.

This will occur (no or reduced assist) anytime the car is left parked at full steering lock.

Rob
Will this prevent the wheels from being turned to the other stop or just make it difficult to do so?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts

Hmmm.

If you turn the steering wheel in
either direction several times until
it stops, or hold the steering wheel
in the stopped position for an
extended amount of time, you may
notice a reduced amount of power
steering assist. The normal amount
of power steering assist should
return shortly after a few normal
steering movements.

Overheating?

Reactions: RGwiz

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sounds like a candidate for NASCAR, they only steer to the left. I lost power steering my my 2012 in the first 1,000 miles, with its high ratio, really took a lot of muscle to turn that thing, was just glad my wife wasn't driving.

With yours have no idea if you have a mechanical or an electrical problem, what's ever in that thing is top secret. Understand the rack and pinion has an extended 10 year or 150,000 mile warranty, but not sure is this applies if yours has a scratch on it.

this is the recall #.

# 14232A: Special Coverage Adjustment - Power Steering Stick-Slip - (Jun 4, 2015)

As I recall any C code set kills the assist. Also code stored in flashram, feel this is a bad idea, with voltage problems, can get a glitch.

Negative battery terminal used for years, is actually for the positive post, this post is 50 mils larger, can't tighten the darn thing on the thinner negative post. But not the only problem, sticking bare copper wire into the terminal and crimping it, should have soldered dipped it first. Wire turns brown, copper oxide that is a very good insulator.

Let us know what your dealer finds, very curious.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Will this prevent the wheels from being turned to the other stop or just make it difficult to do so?
I've never experienced it, and I think any electric assist design can behave in this manner under the same circumstances.

I am told it feels like there is no assist at all.....again, though, this is most often noticed if the car has been parked for a length of time with the wheels at or close to, full lock.

ChevyGuy......I've never speculated why....just was aware of the potential.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Don't forget about this one:

[h=4]Recall Number: 11V270000[/h] [h=4]Recall Date: 05/06/2011[/h]
Component: STEERING:GEAR BOX:SHAFT SECTOR
Problem Summary: GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 CHEVROLET CRUZE VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM OCTOBER 2, 2009, THROUGH APRIL 21, 2011. THE BOLT ATTACHING THE INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT TO THE STEERING GEAR INPUT SHAFT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PROPERLY INSTALLED.
Consequence: THIS COULD ALLOW THE SHAFTS TO SEPARATE, RESULTING IN THE LOSS OF STEERING. LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
What Owners Should Do: DEALERS WILL INSPECT, AND IF REQUIRED, REPAIR THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT/STEERING GEAR ASSEMBLY TO ASSURE THE BOLT IS FULLY SEATED AND THE SHAFT PROPERLY ASSEMBLED. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON MAY 23, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, OR WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it's 2:50 pm and no word from the dealer. There must be lots of head scratching going on over there...mmmmmm.
Yah I saw a lot of those recalls. Any one of those can apply here.
They just called! Nothing found out of normal. They want to keep it overnight. Battery is good. I told them about the wheel lock deal and he agrees! That may be the problem. We shall see in the morning.
Ha, lol...take two asprins, and call me in the morning!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
What does happen when you try to turn to the right, is it like the steering wheel is locked like when the key is removed from the ignition. Or will some extra muscle be able to rotate the wheel. Well, maybe a lot of muscle.

Did you dealer verify this condition?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Don't forget about this one:

Recall Number: 11V270000

Recall Date: 05/06/2011

Component: STEERING:GEAR BOX:SHAFT SECTOR
Problem Summary: GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 CHEVROLET CRUZE VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM OCTOBER 2, 2009, THROUGH APRIL 21, 2011. THE BOLT ATTACHING THE INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT TO THE STEERING GEAR INPUT SHAFT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PROPERLY INSTALLED.
Consequence: THIS COULD ALLOW THE SHAFTS TO SEPARATE, RESULTING IN THE LOSS OF STEERING. LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
What Owners Should Do: DEALERS WILL INSPECT, AND IF REQUIRED, REPAIR THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT/STEERING GEAR ASSEMBLY TO ASSURE THE BOLT IS FULLY SEATED AND THE SHAFT PROPERLY ASSEMBLED. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON MAY 23, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, OR WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.
And OP has a 2011 model year car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NickD, I was standing outside the drivers door when the AAA guy jump started it. So, once I got behind the wheel to drive it, I put it in gear and rolled forward to pull thru the parking spot. That's when I noticed that it didn't turn at all to the right. I only rolled at idle like 4 feet or so. I yanked on the wheel to try and go right but no, nothing to the right at all! Just dead on straight and to the left. I didn't seem like "manual right" at all. That's why I only moved the small distance. It's was a very weird feeling!

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Did your steering wheel turn to the right or did it stay locked in place? If it turned but the wheels didn't I think the recall I posted could have some merit.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Just dead on straight and to the left. I didn't seem like "manual right" at all.
I wonder with the low power situation if the steering wheel didn't unlock properly. With the battery situation resolved, the problem may not reappear.

Reactions: obermd

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
From the shop manual:

"The power steering system consists of the following components:

The rack and dual pinion electric power steering system reduces the amount of effort needed to steer the vehicle utilizing the power steering control module to control the power steering motor to maneuver the steering gear. The power steering control module also uses a combination of the torque sensor, motor rotational sensor, battery voltage circuit and GMLAN serial data circuit to perform the system functions. The power steering control module monitors vehicle speed and engine speed from the engine control module via the GMLAN serial data circuit to determine the amount of steering assist needed to steer the vehicle. At low speeds more assist is provided for easy turning during parking maneuvers. At higher speeds less assist is provided for improved road feel and directional stability.

The power steering control module uses a combination of the torque sensor, motor rotational sensor, vehicle speed, and calculated system temperature inputs to determine the amount of assist needed. The power steering control module continuously monitors the digital torque sensor's torque and index current signals. As the steering wheel is turned and torsional twist is applied to the steering shaft, the steering input and output shafts are monitored via the torque signal circuit and then processed by the power steering control module to calculate the steering torque. The voltage signals of the motor position sensor and the digital torque sensor's index current signal are both processed by the power steering control module to detect and calculate the steering wheel angle.

The power steering control module responds to the change in the digital torque sensor signals as well as the motor rotational sensor's voltage signals by commanding current to the power steering motor. The power steering control module controls the pulse width modulated motor drive circuit to drive the 3-phase motor. The power steering control module and motor assembly is attached to the base of the steering gear housing and assists the steering gear pinion to maneuver the rack from left to right according to turning the steering wheel.

The power steering control module has the ability to calculate an internal system temperature to protect the power steering system from damage caused by high temperature. To reduce a high system temperature, the power steering control module will reduce the amount of current commanded to the power steering motor, which reduces the amount of steering assist. The power steering control module has the ability to detect malfunctions within the electric power steering system. Any malfunction detected that disables steering assist will cause the SERVICE POWER STEERING message to be displayed on the driver information center."

Steering wheel locks were intended to prevent thief, worthless, a tempered steel key blank that fits the ignition lock with a 4" handle and easily break those tiny tumblers in the ignition key lock, and a thief could start your car and drive away. Anti-thief devices came into effect as further protection means, so why are they still using key releasing steering wheel locks? If you bump your key while driving and lock the steering wheel, can be the end of you.

If you get into your Cruze, put pressure on the steering wheel, you cannot turn the ignition switch to the unlock position. Worse yet, if you are diagonally parked remove the key, and if the car rolls forward with the right wheel hitting the curb putting lots of pressure, you will never be able to unlock the steering wheel.

If you switch the key to run, but do not start the engine, steering wheel almost feels like it is locked. Only active when the engine is running, but hydraulic power steering behaves the same way. If you engine dies while on a busy interstate, have to use a lot of muscle to pull over.

See a three phase motor is use, but reversing the just one phase these motors will reverse, and reversing is constant whenever you rotate the steering wheel from one direction to the other, if this is the case, sure is an electronic problem. Not too hard to rotate the steering wheel with the engine off with both front wheels off the ground.

Electronic problems also can be very erratic and if a little wife is driving, can be hazardous to her health. Best to replace the entire rack and pinion and the control module, or GM could be in for one heck of a liability suit.

When my power steering went dead, listened to the conversation between my not so good dealer and Chevy tech service, they said, replace everything.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
If you engine dies while on a busy interstate, have to use a lot of muscle to pull over.
Not sure what kind of car you had, but I never had problem with loss of power assist except in parking lots. Once the car's rolling, it's only a nice to have.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
If you switch the key to run, but do not start the engine, steering wheel almost feels like it is locked. Only active when the engine is running, but hydraulic power steering behaves the same way. If you engine dies while on a busy interstate, have to use a lot of muscle to pull over.
Have you tried this in your Cruze? I can drop my ECO MT in neutral and turn off the engine and then put the key back into run (to keep the idiotic steering wheel lock from activating) and I have full steering control until the car coasts down to a slow walking pace (< 2 MPH). Don't know if it's power steering but it sure feels like it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Have you tried this in your Cruze? I can drop my ECO MT in neutral and turn off the engine and then put the key back into run (to keep the idiotic steering wheel lock from activating) and I have full steering control until the car coasts down to a slow walking pace (< 2 MPH). Don't know if it's power steering but it sure feels like it.
That is correct. The Cruze and most other electric power steering systems these days will continue to provide assist as long as the vehicle is in motion. This, I believe, is a very good safety feature.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts