Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
So my car died at a stop light in the middle of a 4 lane 55mph highway outside of Detroit. I figured it was something electrical because it all the check engine lights were cycling like crazy, the car wouldn't even crank, and cars that stopped next to me asked me to put my blinker on though it was already on.
Long story short, dealer that I was towed to said I needed a new fuse box, which they replaced $500 later. They said it was because of my HID conversion connection and advised that I take it down.
What do you guys think?
The lights (HID and LED fogs) are wired to draw directly from the battery, but with relays that draw input from the regular wiring. Actually I have the LEDs getting input from one of the fuses on the fuse box that stays on as far as the car is running using one of those add-a-fuse from ebay. Could that be the cause? Or is it wire I used (not sure what gauge, I've had them a while)?
Should I take it down? I don't want to spend money again replacing the fuse box, but I really like the lights as they are.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I'll try to say this correctly.......the fused circuits should only be powering the relays..... the switched section......this way they do not experience the load from the lamps.
One leg of the relay should have full, uninterrupted 12v supply, fused......the leg that is switched by the circuit from the from the fusebox goes to the lamp.
Most likely one of the gang will put up a diagrahm.

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Will they give you the old fuse box such that you can post photos of what burned out? Because something isn't adding up.

You're saying the power for the HID is coming from the battery via a relay. As long as the relay coil has some kind of spike suppression so the coil doesn't spark back into the BCM, that's all fine. On the LEDs, how big was the fuse you added the fuse to? I wouldn't "add" a 50 Amp fuse to a slot that only had a 10 Amp in it. The wiring leading to the fuse might not be heavy enough.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
So the only thing drawing from the fusebox is the current for the relay. Nope. That won't do it.

One caution - rather than connect the black wire to the battery, I'd connect it to the frame point where all the other wires connect. If you connect direct to the battery, it may cause a faulty battery current reading.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts