Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've read a ton of these forums for DIY car service, but never posted. I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze LTZ with 125k miles (completely out of warranty). Lots of problems with this car... but here to talk about the touchscreen radio today.

My radio was acting up for a year - it appeared to get stuck on 1 trip from March 2017. It always reverted back to those settings (including asking if I wanted the same GPS navigation). It would reset itself 3-4 times every time I started the car, then it would stabilize. However, I always lost some functionality. It differed every time between the clock, radio presets, navigation.... Took it to the dealership to get a software update and they said they "don't do that" (not true from what I've read here). Paid them $100 to troubleshoot with no luck, so I just put up with it.

I've tried every trick - replaced the negative battery cable per the TSB, tried the "leave the car door open for 5 minutes" trick, checked & cleaned fuses (they aren't blown), tried disconnecting the battery... no luck. Also got my battery checked at Autozone, and they said it's good (for what that's worth). The battery is 5 years old. Not sure if replacing it would help?

Last week the radio completely died, and I also got the "Service Park Assist" notification. Took it back to the dealership. They told me it's getting power & ground, so the radio is dead. And it's $2k to replace it. Uh... no. They told me to replace it with p/n 22879332.

I've found a few similar radios at junkyards, but they have less ports in the back. The only radios with the exact p/n are ~$500 used, or $900 OEM. My backup option is an aftermarket radio, but I'd really rather just replace it with the GM version.

Any advice?

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've read a ton of these forums for DIY car service, but never posted. I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze LTZ with 125k miles (completely out of warranty). Lots of problems with this car... but here to talk about the touchscreen radio today.

My radio was acting up for a year - it appeared to get stuck on 1 trip from March 2017. It always reverted back to those settings (including asking if I wanted the same GPS navigation). It would reset itself 3-4 times every time I started the car, then it would stabilize. However, I always lost some functionality. It differed every time between the clock, radio presets, navigation.... Took it to the dealership to get a software update and they said they "don't do that" (not true from what I've read here). Paid them $100 to troubleshoot with no luck, so I just put up with it.

I've tried every trick - replaced the negative battery cable per the TSB, tried the "leave the car door open for 5 minutes" trick, checked & cleaned fuses (they aren't blown), tried disconnecting the battery... no luck. Also got my battery checked at Autozone, and they said it's good (for what that's worth). The battery is 5 years old. Not sure if replacing it would help?

Last week the radio completely died, and I also got the "Service Park Assist" notification. Took it back to the dealership. They told me it's getting power & ground, so the radio is dead. And it's $2k to replace it. Uh... no. They told me to replace it with p/n 22879332.

I've found a few similar radios at junkyards, but they have less ports in the back. The only radios with the exact p/n are ~$500 used, or $900 OEM. My backup option is an aftermarket radio, but I'd really rather just replace it with the GM version.

Any advice?
If you got 5 years out of the battery, you’ve done very well.

The electronics on this car seem to be very susceptible to even the slightest voltage drops or inconsistencies. Gremlins start to crop up first with the radio and/or warning lights.

Your battery may still test as “good” but after 5 years, I’d start with a new battery before looking at replacing the radio. Even if it doesn’t work, your battery is (or soon will be) due.

Reactions: Tomko

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem solved! I ended up sending my radio out for repair. I used United Radio. They replaced the control module IC.

Still ticked at Chevy that it broke in the first place. Both the dealer and the Infotainment hotline were useless. But glad I was able to avoid giving them $2k to purchase a new one!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts