Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just got a new Cruze diesel. First new car.

As the sales guy was showing me the car we drove to gas station. As he was inserting the nozzle I noticed that the gas door says ulsd only and pump said lsd. He said diesel is diesel and filled it up. I took a picture of the recipt And drove 58 miles.

Now I read what the difference is and I am worried. Any advice what to do?

So far no malfunctions.
I called 800 Chevy they hang up after saying that only ulsd fuel should be used.
Going back to dealership with no error codes is useless.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would contact Chevy and have them remove the LSD, also document the incident. The Cruze TD emission system can be damaged by sulfur. It produces sulfur dioxide when burned and combines with water to produce sulfuric acid which will damage the emissions system long term. Will 1 tank damage it? Who knows. The switch to ULSD was a prerequisite to introduction of clean diesel to the US to avoid emission damage. I can't believe the Chevy salesman is that ignorant about their products. I had to show the salesman who I bought my CTD from how to use the glow plug. The use of ULSD in a LSD vehicle (Dodge Truck) is a completely different issue (reduced lubricity of ULSD) and not useful for the use of LSD in a ULSD (Cruze) vehicle. The Owners Manual clearly states ULSD only. Contact Customer Service immediately, these CTD emissions systems are prone to failure even when fueled properly.

·
Super Moderator
7,787 Posts
I had no idea that low sulfur diesel was even available for retail purchase.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I had no idea that low sulfur diesel was even available for retail purchase.
According to this EPA page I wouldn't think so. Not unless that station is used by a lot of "nonroad, locomotive, and marine (NRLM)" users.

Which raises the question - was the sticker just out of date and it really was ULSD?

Reactions: oilburner

·
Registered
261 Posts
All stations carry ULSD now and the sticker is out of date... I have seen pumps in my area that have that and I have spoken to the jobber and wholesaler as well (Owns a TDI and new cruze diesel ) He got one after he test drove my car and we had many long conversation on the cruze TDI . The most important thing one must do and I can't stress this enough that you MUST use additives in every fill up, let's just call it more then peace of mind in so many ways.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Enjoy the trip.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
According to this EPA page I wouldn't think so. Not unless that station is used by a lot of "nonroad, locomotive, and marine (NRLM)" users.

Which raises the question - was the sticker just out of date and it really was ULSD?
Many rural stations in my state have off road diesel sold on the pumps, would be really easy to fill with the wrong one. Its dyed a different color and taxed at a much lesser rate, have heard its a $10,000 fine if you get caught running it on the street.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You didn't put LSD in your car. The sticker is wrong. Even off-road is ULSD now, just dyed. New machinery even has most of the emissions stuff our cars do now. My buddy's new Kubota mini-excavator has a DPF. It will give you a warning during a regen that exhaust temperatures are very hot. That sees nothing but off-road.

I don't know about everyone else but every time I buy off-road I have to physically go inside the store and tell them what it's being used for (IE Construction) and they fill out a special slip with my information. The exception is the fleet fueling stations such as pacific pride. They are unmanned but you need to have an account with them.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Did you confirm with the gas station that it is, in fact LSD?

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two Chevy dealers said it was not an issue. By now I am down 1/4 tank. I failed to open any issue with gm.

The gas station is an hour away from me but tommorowI will try to visit them

Car drives fine for now.

I have to say this is not a good star . :/

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
All stations carry ULSD now and the sticker is out of date... I have seen pumps in my area that have that and I have spoken to the jobber and wholesaler as well (Owns a TDI and new cruze diesel ) He got one after he test drove my car and we had many long conversation on the cruze TDI . The most important thing one must do and I can't stress this enough that you MUST use additives in every fill up, let's just call it more then peace of mind in so many ways.
running an additive every single tank seems like over kill. we have members with over 100k miles and no issues. Are you talking in the long run?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Reactions: KpaxFAQ

·
Registered
791 Posts
at least your fuel pump will be well lubed for one tank if it was just LSD...... but I agree with others its most likely ULSD. check with the retailer where you got the fuel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts