Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 1.4T to the dealership this morning for an oil change. Took forever (1.5 hrs for an oil change!) so I was of course late for work. I got in an took off for work. As I'm getting on the interstate the car felt a little sluggish so I stepped on it a little harder than normal. And to my surprise a cloud of white/blue smoke came out the back! I thought something may be wrong, but no check engine light came on and no other warning lights were on. I thought maybe they spilled a little oil and it just burned off. I drove about 10 minutes to my exit and got off the interstate.

As I pull up to the stoplight, my car starts idling very rough and smoke starts coming out of the hood. At this point I know there is something wrong. Finally my check engine light comes on. I pull over and pop the hood.

Sure enough, there is smoke and oil everywhere. I am beyond pissed, because I know I take very good care of my car. This is why I take it to the dealer, so I know stuff is done correctly.

So I call the dealer in a rage, and they send their service manager out to take me wherever I need to go. She says she can get me a loaner car immediately if we go back to the dealer. So we head there and she gets me a Cruze loaner right away. As I head to work I check to see if my car is still sitting where I left it. Nope, they have already had their tow truck pick it up. So about 3 hours after I'm working, the manager calls me. She apologizes for everything and says the technician didn't tighten the oil cap. She gives me a free oil change and tells me the head service technician drove my car for a good 20 minutes to make sure things were ok.

So really, while they did royally screw up an oil change, the dealer was actually very quick to get me into a loaner, get my car towed, and fix the car. But seriously, how do you forget to screw the oil cap back on! I would've checked it before I left but I was in a hurry to get to work after waiting an hour and a half for an oil change.

TLDR VERSION: Technician forgets to screw oil cap tight. I blow smoke everywhere. Dealer tows car back and fixes in 3 hours.

My only question is is there anything I should do to make sure things don't go wrong later that was caused by oil being everywhere? They said they degreased everything and cleaned it up really well. I asked them if the seals/gaskets/belts would be ok after having oil on them. She said yes, but if I have any problems to let her know directly.

So all-in-all I am upset with the dealer and the tech that did my oil change, but pleased with how quickly they rectified the situation and how they took responsibility for messing up the oil change.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I get all my oil changes done at the dealer, after 3,000 miles last time when I went to check the oil I notice a good amount of blow by around the oil fill cap. After further inspection the cap was only put on half way. On my car at least it takes a good amount of down pressure when turning to get the cap on right, I will be making sure next time the dealer does not send me on my way like that. Was more surprised it did not set off a CEL.

Looking at some 2015 shots, seems the newer 1.4T has a different oil fill cap. Does anyone know if this is a new design to go along with a different valve cover? I hate the design of the current cap and can't blame anyone for not getting it seated correctly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would like to know what the check engine light code was for.......... hopefully it wasnt oil pressure related
this. Not good but keep in mind when you visit a dealership for JUST an oil change, more than likely it's a first year apprentice mechanic probably 19-23 years old doing the service, not a master technician who's been fixing chevs for 20 years. they are young and make mistakes since they are constantly being pushed by the tower operator to get that oil change done because there is 5 more waiting to be done. i've seen it lots in all the dealerships i work at. Hopefully it's the last time he/she makes a mistake.

·
Administrator
25,096 Posts
I've had this happen in the past. Mine was at a Jiffy Lube and the cap wasn't seated properly. It actually fell off but landed where it was caught by the engine so it didn't disappear. Mistakes happen - your dealership did the right thing and took care of you.

I bet the check engine was either vacuum or oil pressure. Since you pulled over as soon as it came on your car should be fine. Just expect to smell burning oil for some time since it's nearly impossible to get all the oil cleaned up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will give you guys an update later tonight after I pick up the car. I will see what the CEL was for but I'm pretty sure it was for oil pressure.

I didn't know the oil cap was a B to seat... always had changes done at the dealer lol.

Do you guys think I will have any problems with seals/gaskets/belts down the road from oil getting on any of them? At least the service manager told me to give her a call if anything happens in the near future so I guess that eases my stress a little.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I will give you guys an update later tonight after I pick up the car. I will see what the CEL was for but I'm pretty sure it was for oil pressure.

I didn't know the oil cap was a B to seat... always had changes done at the dealer lol.

Do you guys think I will have any problems with seals/gaskets/belts down the road from oil getting on any of them? At least the service manager told me to give her a call if anything happens in the near future so I guess that eases my stress a little.
Get all of this in writing with an admission of fault from the dealership. May help if you need warranty service in the future and they try to say that xyz was damaged because you let it run low on oil.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I just sent my lawn mower in to get service at one of our larger power equipment places. They called me to say that the spark plug hole was stripped and that I would need a new head. I told them it wasn't stripped when I brought it in and they said they aren't in the business of stripping heads for profit. Needless to say I brought it home and put in a heli coil myself.

Sometimes the professionals make mistakes, at least your service centre was willing to correct it.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
4 quarts of oil thrown out of the engine would've made more of a mess than you could describe.......4 qts. of oil looks like 400 when spread out......and take more time than you had it running.....highway speeds or not.

Rest assured, the code was vacuum related since the oil cap was off.....other than a mess a free rustproof job the car will be fine.

Rob

·
10,695 Posts
Looking at some 2015 shots, seems the newer 1.4T has a different oil fill cap. Does anyone know if this is a new design to go along with a different valve cover? I hate the design of the current cap and can't blame anyone for not getting it seated correctly.
Yes, new VC and cap. way better than the 2 tab BS they had before. Not sure why a traditional threaded one wasn't used.

WP_20150407_10_26_54_Pro.jpg WP_20150407_10_27_24_Pro.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
My experience with my two local dealers is this: If you want something done right, do it yourself. This has became apparent to me from the numerous things adjusted or gapped poorly.
Kind of agree. I usually go to an independent shop for work on my GTO and the same shop I used for mods when I had my Cruze and recently had a Magnaflow cat back installed on my 320i. So I decided to take my GTO to the GM dealer I bought it from for a Coolant flush and Dexcool refill, I asked also if they would do an oil and filter change using oil and filter I supplied. Oil change and filter change went well, however when I get home I see the coolant overfilled, the coolant overflow hose resting on the exhaust manifold and my MAF pipe way over tightened and deformed. I was wondering what the smell was (melting rubber) and why the rough idle. I will not likely be going back to them for service. How difficult is it to return a car back to the customer with out screw ups like this?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,561 Posts
Years ago, we'd just picked up our Saab 900 from having an oil change and took it on a family trip to the beach.

EVERY TIME you'd coast down to idle, it would just shut off. No warning, no fight...just bam, off.

Got there to find out...you guessed it...oil cap was halfway off.

I actually forgot to put the dipstick back in completely on my Cruze (I usually pop it up slightly to help the oil drain without making a mess) and it wasn't too happy either.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Took my 1.4T to the dealership this morning for an oil change. Took forever (1.5 hrs for an oil change!) so I was of course late for work. I got in an took off for work. As I'm getting on the interstate the car felt a little sluggish so I stepped on it a little harder than normal. And to my surprise a cloud of white/blue smoke came out the back! I thought something may be wrong, but no check engine light came on and no other warning lights were on. I thought maybe they spilled a little oil and it just burned off. I drove about 10 minutes to my exit and got off the interstate.

As I pull up to the stoplight, my car starts idling very rough and smoke starts coming out of the hood. At this point I know there is something wrong. Finally my check engine light comes on. I pull over and pop the hood.

Sure enough, there is smoke and oil everywhere. I am beyond pissed, because I know I take very good care of my car. This is why I take it to the dealer, so I know stuff is done correctly.

So I call the dealer in a rage, and they send their service manager out to take me wherever I need to go. She says she can get me a loaner car immediately if we go back to the dealer. So we head there and she gets me a Cruze loaner right away. As I head to work I check to see if my car is still sitting where I left it. Nope, they have already had their tow truck pick it up. So about 3 hours after I'm working, the manager calls me. She apologizes for everything and says the technician didn't tighten the oil cap. She gives me a free oil change and tells me the head service technician drove my car for a good 20 minutes to make sure things were ok.

So really, while they did royally screw up an oil change, the dealer was actually very quick to get me into a loaner, get my car towed, and fix the car. But seriously, how do you forget to screw the oil cap back on! I would've checked it before I left but I was in a hurry to get to work after waiting an hour and a half for an oil change.

TLDR VERSION: Technician forgets to screw oil cap tight. I blow smoke everywhere. Dealer tows car back and fixes in 3 hours.

My only question is is there anything I should do to make sure things don't go wrong later that was caused by oil being everywhere? They said they degreased everything and cleaned it up really well. I asked them if the seals/gaskets/belts would be ok after having oil on them. She said yes, but if I have any problems to let her know directly.

So all-in-all I am upset with the dealer and the tech that did my oil change, but pleased with how quickly they rectified the situation and how they took responsibility for messing up the oil change.
Hi Dan200615,

We truly apologize for that outcome! It's truly unexpected for this to happen, but we are happy to hear that the dealership took good care of the situation. If you experience any additional concerns, please send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Yes, new VC and cap. way better than the 2 tab BS they had before. Not sure why a traditional threaded one wasn't used.

View attachment 150226 View attachment 150234

Thanks for posting this, I guess this would be a good reason to hope for a PCV issue before I hit 100K? Valve cover isn't that expensive anyway, much rather have this new style oil cap as it looks like won't be as easy to screw half way on.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
My experience with my two local dealers is this: If you want something done right, do it yourself. This has became apparent to me from the numerous things adjusted or gapped poorly.
This is certainly not the experience we wish for our customers when working with the dealership. If you have any further concerns, or would like assistance connecting with another dealership in your area we'll gladly assist. Just PM us your full contact info and VIN. Thanks!

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
156 Posts
I absolutely hate the design of the oil filler cap, they are such a PITA to fill with oil. You need three hands, one to hold the funnel, and two to hold the 5 gallon jug of oil. Having said that, mistakes happen to everyone, we are all human. The dealership did the right thing. The wait was excessive yes and the hassle of it all is cruddy, but they did try to rectify the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I absolutely hate the design of the oil filler cap, they are such a PITA to fill with oil. You need three hands, one to hold the funnel, and two to hold the 5 gallon jug of oil. Having said that, mistakes happen to everyone, we are all human. The dealership did the right thing. The wait was excessive yes and the hassle of it all is cruddy, but they did try to rectify the issue.
It would probably help you greatly if you tried using a 5 QUART jug instead. :smileystooges:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts