Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Dealer Oil Changes = CEL's

Tags
cel dealer oil
18K views 132 replies 26 participants last post by  Chevy Customer Care 
#1 ·
I am about to begin my oil changes outside the dealership, as suggested on this forum. My 2014 diesel is just over 2 years old, 38k miles, and it's had over 10 CEL's, all (except 1) occurring in a string right after oil changes at the dealership. It's always due to soot. I've had my 02 & NOX sensors replaced several times, ducts replaced, ECM reprogrammed, etc. I can't say 100% for certain, because correlation is not always causation, but I feel like there is something wrong with the emissions system in this car that gets flared up when ever it goes into the dealership for oil changes. I guess I will find out once I start taking it elsewhere for oil changes! 75% of my driving is highway, so city driving is not the problem. I will also state, because the paperwork doesn't say that I cant, that I received a settlement from GM over all this. This next oil change will determine if I give up and sell this car. I can't do the oil changes myself. I am a young, urban, garage-less female with no car experience. I've never even opened the hood myself. If I had a heated garage I'd give it shot, but I don't. Thankfully I purchased the 100,000 mile extended warranty (for $1600) with $0 deductible, so I'm not too worried about future problems, but the constant trips to and from the dealer are time consuming and emotionally exhausting, coupled with the "maybe we'll give you a loaner" issue.

So on to my question! I called the Oil Express near my house, and they carry Dexos2 oil but not the filter, they said I could bring my own filter. I found the filter part link on this forum and have several in my shopping cart on gmpartsnow.com. Since this oil change will determine my future with this car, I want to put in the best oil. I figured I could bring the filter AND oil over to Oil Express. From reading the forum, the most recommended is Mobil 1, 5w30. However, when ever I follow the link or look it up, the bottle says its for gasoline engines and its dexos1. What's up with that? Which is the best oil to buy? I'm hoping using high quality oil will solve the miserable CEL problems that have been occurring after oil changes. Thanks!

See less See more
#5 ·
Bad and misinformed advice. Shell Rotella is not appropriate for this or any dexos2 engine.

Jaax - it sounds like you've done your research. You're correct. There is no Mobil 1 dexos2 oil currently in the North American retail chain. It is said to be available at the trade level to dealerships, but so far I haven't seen it.

The AC Delco dexos2 oil is readily available through a Chevrolet or GMC dealer. Other dexos2 oils are available but typically are a special or Internet order. FWIW I have used a dexos2 oil called Total Quartz INEO MC3 for 40,000 miles and have not had the troubles that you've had.

As well, I'd be very curious to know what dexos2 oil a quick change shop would carry in stock. As for now our cars are the only ones in North America that call for a dexos2. This will change very soon as a new smaller Duramax Diesel engine will begin delivery next week, and it too requires dexos2.

Reactions: GlennGlenn
#3 ·
The diesel Cruze takes Dexos2, part # 88865157 at the dealer, and the filter is PF2260G (AC Delco). Hope this helps some. The oil is specific to this car, but may be cross referenced to another oil. That would be a question for Cruze diesel owners.

#4 ·
Your probably not going to find any Proper oil labeled Dexos 2, I Always heard that Shell Rotella oil was very good and inexspesive for Diesel engines...I'm sure some oil nerds should be chiming in here soon to help you...
While rottela is excellent it does not qualify with dexos 2 standards and even shell told me not to use it. i use it in my motorcycle and cars. buy the oil at the dealer and filter, take it to a trusted lube place and have them do it.

#6 ·
Using the GM oil, from the dealership, is the exact thing I am trying to avoid. My hypothesis: Dealership oil + service ='s ~ 4 CEL's & 1-2 months of total aggravation. I am trying to test my hypothesis by removing dealership oil & service from the equation. I guess if I did buy the dealership oil, and only removed service from the equation, it would be a better controlled experiment... but I'm not trying to publish a peer reviewed theory here I just want to skip over the aggravation and move on with my life post-oil change.

#9 ·
You're smart. I also like your methodology.

You've proabaly already seen this - but here are the dexos2 registered oils. However, not all are the 5W30 required by this engine.

dexos2 Brands | GM

#11 ·
OP?

I really doubt if the oil change (or oil used) is causing a problem.
If it was the cause, you would have the same failure after the sensor was exchanged since the fresh oil is still in the crankcase.

Anyways, if you wish to perform the experiment (although you may now have the updated sensors) look up and purchass a case of Mobil Super 3000 XE.
This is marketed as a full synthetic dexos 2 rated oil and is the alternate oil most (good) GM dealers have on hand for the diesel drivers that wish to use a full synthetic.

It is marketed on the web, sold by the case.

Rob

#12 ·
#13 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone for your input! Gives me some direction. This is what I have gathered as my options:

1) Total Quartz INEO MC3 5qt bottle @ $42.32 ($8.46/qt) on Amazon, Dexos2 certified, but 1 out of 3 amazon reviews state they shipped the wrong product.

2) Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP 12qt case @ $109.88 ($9.16/qt) on Amazon, NOT Dexos2 certified, but from what I read Dexos2 is merely a certification one pays to get, and if problems arise it may void your warranty? I've already sued GM, I've signed a release from all future claims, and I'm outside the 36k warranty and into my 100k extended 3rd party warranty. The likelihood of Mobil 1 making my car any worse than it already is.....1M to 1? Based on reviews from TDI users on Amazon and this forum, I'd say this stuff is a safe bet, but I acknowledge the risk of using a non-certified oil.

3) Mobil Super 3000 XE 1qt @ $7.99/qt pre-tax, Dexos2 certified, DIFFICULT to find, only US supplier online w/10min search is jegs.com and they wont ship it for over a week. I am on 1% oil right now....

All options here seem to be good ones, but each has their own qualm!

#16 ·
but from what I read Dexos2 is merely a certification one pays to get,
True. However, since you're concerned the oil might be a cause of problems, I don't think I'd go that route - at least not on this change.

Something to think about - the oil change job is about the bottom of the totem pole for techs. It's going to be the newest guy they're testing to see if he (or she) will work out. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they've been putting the wrong oil in the car. At least if you supply the oil and see it poured in - you'll know for sure what's in there.

Reactions: Tomko
#15 ·
I think she's trying to avoid the dealer at all costs (literally and figuratively).........

Sure, she can BUY it at dealer, BUT she's trying to establish if she can avoid CELs by trying another oil change place/method. Can't say I blame her for that.

BTW, @Jaxx, are you under a NDA or can you discuss the reasons for the "settlement" with GM about the car??? I'd love to have a new thread and hear about this one.

#21 ·
I found a kit with the Total Quartz INEO MC3 oil & the OEM filter on Ebay for $55. Good Deal! The only little problem is shipping takes 2 weeks, but in my search I had one of two choices 1) wait on shipping of foreign oil, or 2) Get non-Dexos 2 oil. So I'll wait on shipping. This is coming from Massachusetts at least. My car is on 1% oil...I feel terrible. I didn't think finding non-dealer oil would be such an issue.

2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel Oil Change Kit 55577033 | eBay

#25 ·
#23 ·
@Jaxx, at this point, I'd be hustling over the another Chevy dealer and getting this done. You have nothing to gain or lose and I agree with another post that correlation does not mean causation. Typically oil changes require a drain of old oil and new filter and a reset of maintenance minder. A CEL from an oil change is highly unusual.

#33 ·
Jaxx be sure to measure the oil out to 4 and 3/4 quarts before you let them do it or they will dump all 5 quarts in. That will trigger a cel. I have 97000 miles and use Mobil 1 5 w 30 esp. I get the filters at the dealer wholesale for 9.00. Tire discounters charge me 20.00 to change the oil with me bringing it to them.

#39 ·
Good to know!!! So basically dump 1/4 quart out of the bottle? If this oil change goes well, and I have no string of CEL's causing me misery forcing me to trade the car, I will go the route of Mobil 1 next, that would be easier to get. But I don't mind pay $12 for the filters online, the dealer is 45 minutes away from me. And I hate them :grin:

#38 ·
I've purchased the Total Quartz dexos2 oil & OEM filter from the eBay link. I am going to take it to a reputable oil change place or mechanic in my area. I am not, under any circumstances, going back to the dealer. I'm proceeding with my non-dealer oil experiment. What do I have to loose?

Even with the settlement, I am barely going to break even on the car as a trade-in, and THEN I have to throw a few thousand more into the black hole of down payment, tax/title/fees, and major loss driving another new car off the lot. Not to mention the 10k+ I've invested in this car. This is my first car. Painfully expensive! :mad:

I just got home to look back at my service invoices after the last oil change, which should answer some previous questions and maybe I can solicit a few more opinions on what may be wrong with this car.

6/9: Oil change and DEF topped at Dealer.
6/17-6/19: (range indicates length of time at dealer) CEL P11D7, replaced NOX sensor 2
6/19-6/23: CEL goes off same day I pick it up. CEL P11D7 & P22A3, found out old discontinued NOX sensor 2 was ordered & installed. They order newest sensor.
6/25-6/27: (CEL actually went off w/in 24 hours of picking up car, but I wanted to drive it hard on the highway to see if I could burn off the soot and make the light go away. Didn't work.) CEL P0113, reprogrammed ECM and reset fuel trims
7/1- 7/9: CEL P2459 Replaced air outlet duct and PCV oil separator, reset fuel trims
7/20-8/6: CEL P11DB, P11DC, P2459, P0133, P24A5 (this seems to be the string of codes from the entire summer) Could not find leaks, advised to remove catalytic converter, and verified no damage. Found engine overfilled with 2.25 quarts of oil. Drained oil and replaced filter (my oil gauge on dash was not reset at this time so im thinking I might be ok being late for my oil change now) Replaced oxygen sensor due to excessive soot on sensor. (FYI This is my second O2 sensor in a year, which was a CEL following a previous oil change!!!)
10/20-10/22: (yes this is a bit of a time gap) CEL P22FA sooted NOX sensor1, installed air adapter to air cleaner outlet tube and pressurizing system. Cycled EGR valve open and closed. Found air rushing out of engine exhaust indicating EGR leaking. Replaced leaking EGR valve and seals. Replaced NOX sensor 1.
12/14: CEL is on after picking it up from auto body shop where body repairs were being made. Goes off within an hour. Phew.

#49 ·
Also Jaax, again with all due respect but it's very hard to believe what kind of a Chevy dealership overfilled your engine and not checking the oil level, we talk about 2.25 quarts overfill here as you stated, again, I just can't imagine what dealership would do that without checking the oil level.

#40 ·
Everything was a known issue with a solution before the 2.25 quart overfill on the oil.

That counsellor, is where the dealership ruined your ownership experience. And probably why GM settled without a fight.

Reactions: revjpeterson
#45 ·
It is nice in a way that gm tried to make it right, but all those problems and to think a gm dealer contributed if not caused the problems is very disturbing. So sorry for the problems. Hope it didn't cause long term damage. I would be inclined to get rid of the car and try something else. I had my last complimentary oil change today on my ECO and the oil tech leans my tire up against my door, what are they thinking? I normally complain and today just didn't have the energy to deal with them, my dealer sells 500 cars a month.

#66 ·
Jaxx, on the overfill I'm just wondering if the dealer was using regular oil. The reason I'm saying this most dealers don't have dexos 2 oil in 55 gallon drums. They have to order it in bottle form. To be overfilled tells me they used the oil gun from a drum. They may of Ben using regular oil the whole time. Even though it was overfilled did they stick the same regular dexos 1 back in it causing all your problems. I find the dealers are not up to speed on this car and will treat it as a normal cruze oil change

#69 ·
I have been reading this forum since shortly after buying the vehicle, so I was aware and skeptical of the dealer doing my oil changes. When I bring the car in, I tell them its a diesel, and I receive an invoice with the Dexos2 # on it. One time I even saw them write Dexos2 up on the service sticker. Does this give me complete confidence? NO. They may very well have put regular oil in. This past oil overfill states it was "drained." Maybe that means it was drained down to the point of regular oil level, and the oil they used is still in there. If I have the next mechanic who changes my oil give me a sample of what was in there, would there be any way to tell from looking at it?

If they have been using regular oil, or used it at least once, what would be the symptoms? Long term consequences? Complete and irreversible damage to the vehicle? Occasional CEL's? Shortened life span? My car seems to be fine for the most part, short of the havoc this summer and 2 CEL's since (It's sad that's what I consider relatively fine!). If I start putting the correct oil in now, in the correct amounts (since I am NOT going back to the dealer ever again, and ordering and measuring out the oil myself) would the problems work themselves out? Is this car salvageable????

#67 ·
I will go as far as saying that a lot not all cel or from dealers using the wrong oil. My first oil change I called the dealer and was assured they had dexos2 oil. He said they have had it for years. That threw a red flag to me that the oil was new and only to this car. So I called the parts dept and was told no we don't have it. We have to order it.
So if I would of just showed up with out the knowledge of what was to be used they would just look up the filter and put regular oil in it.
Unless it's the diesel mechanic changing the oil most techs this falls under a normal oil change. There not going to see if it used a different oil.
Just cause your invoice SAYS they used dexos2, did they?????

#85 · (Edited)
My first oil change I called the dealer and was assured they had dexos2 oil. He said they have had it for years. That threw a red flag to me that the oil was new and only to this car. So I called the parts dept and was told no we don't have it. We have to order it.
What's available for service and what's available for sale are two different things. I've run into this before.

Edit: Just to clarify, the dealer might very well have a couple of bottles of dexos2 - but they're not going to sell it to you. It belongs to the service department. They need it in case someone decides to have their oil changed. They won't let the parts department sell it, because then they'd have nothing in case a customer comes in. In short, two different inventories, even if they're under the same roof.

Reactions: obermd
#68 ·
well, I know Glenn, but that's what I would do, we don't know details of their settlement. What triggers me the most is the high oil level, how could be possible that a certified GM dealership to not check the oil level after filling it?! I mean it's not just any ordinary oil change shop, it's a GM dealership which has certain standards to follow, and Jaax is still silent ...
HAHAHAHAH yah right. lube tecks are the bottom of the bottom non trained monkeys with a wrench. you have clearly not worked in a dealer or a quick lube place

#71 ·
it's more likely a crying story than laughing and hahaha, those quick lube places with monkeys you're talking about but the expectation is much higher in a GM dealership, don't you think?

#73 ·
If part of ownership of this vehicle is helicoptering over the service technician for every oil change, or demanding the 1/2L bottle that's left over after every oil change as proof, or changing the oil yourself, HOW does this car have any resale value as a used vehicle? You would never be able to verify this was done properly. I am going to have to get rid of this car, and if it's permanently damaged from it's own dealership, the next person is going to be stuck with constant CEL's! I feel terrible doing that.

#77 ·
It's called due diligence.

Sadly it is something that I feel that I have to do with most professions that involve judgement from human beings.

Reactions: pacolino
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.