Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to begin my oil changes outside the dealership, as suggested on this forum. My 2014 diesel is just over 2 years old, 38k miles, and it's had over 10 CEL's, all (except 1) occurring in a string right after oil changes at the dealership. It's always due to soot. I've had my 02 & NOX sensors replaced several times, ducts replaced, ECM reprogrammed, etc. I can't say 100% for certain, because correlation is not always causation, but I feel like there is something wrong with the emissions system in this car that gets flared up when ever it goes into the dealership for oil changes. I guess I will find out once I start taking it elsewhere for oil changes! 75% of my driving is highway, so city driving is not the problem. I will also state, because the paperwork doesn't say that I cant, that I received a settlement from GM over all this. This next oil change will determine if I give up and sell this car. I can't do the oil changes myself. I am a young, urban, garage-less female with no car experience. I've never even opened the hood myself. If I had a heated garage I'd give it shot, but I don't. Thankfully I purchased the 100,000 mile extended warranty (for $1600) with $0 deductible, so I'm not too worried about future problems, but the constant trips to and from the dealer are time consuming and emotionally exhausting, coupled with the "maybe we'll give you a loaner" issue.

So on to my question! I called the Oil Express near my house, and they carry Dexos2 oil but not the filter, they said I could bring my own filter. I found the filter part link on this forum and have several in my shopping cart on gmpartsnow.com. Since this oil change will determine my future with this car, I want to put in the best oil. I figured I could bring the filter AND oil over to Oil Express. From reading the forum, the most recommended is Mobil 1, 5w30. However, when ever I follow the link or look it up, the bottle says its for gasoline engines and its dexos1. What's up with that? Which is the best oil to buy? I'm hoping using high quality oil will solve the miserable CEL problems that have been occurring after oil changes. Thanks!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Your probably not going to find any Proper oil labeled Dexos 2, I Always heard that Shell Rotella oil was very good and inexspesive for Diesel engines...I'm sure some oil nerds should be chiming in here soon to help you...

·
Registered
279 Posts
The diesel Cruze takes Dexos2, part # 88865157 at the dealer, and the filter is PF2260G (AC Delco). Hope this helps some. The oil is specific to this car, but may be cross referenced to another oil. That would be a question for Cruze diesel owners.

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
Your probably not going to find any Proper oil labeled Dexos 2, I Always heard that Shell Rotella oil was very good and inexspesive for Diesel engines...I'm sure some oil nerds should be chiming in here soon to help you...
While rottela is excellent it does not qualify with dexos 2 standards and even shell told me not to use it. i use it in my motorcycle and cars. buy the oil at the dealer and filter, take it to a trusted lube place and have them do it.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Bad and misinformed advice. Shell Rotella is not appropriate for this or any dexos2 engine.

Jaax - it sounds like you've done your research. You're correct. There is no Mobil 1 dexos2 oil currently in the North American retail chain. It is said to be available at the trade level to dealerships, but so far I haven't seen it.

The AC Delco dexos2 oil is readily available through a Chevrolet or GMC dealer. Other dexos2 oils are available but typically are a special or Internet order. FWIW I have used a dexos2 oil called Total Quartz INEO MC3 for 40,000 miles and have not had the troubles that you've had.

As well, I'd be very curious to know what dexos2 oil a quick change shop would carry in stock. As for now our cars are the only ones in North America that call for a dexos2. This will change very soon as a new smaller Duramax Diesel engine will begin delivery next week, and it too requires dexos2.

Reactions: GlennGlenn

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Using the GM oil, from the dealership, is the exact thing I am trying to avoid. My hypothesis: Dealership oil + service ='s ~ 4 CEL's & 1-2 months of total aggravation. I am trying to test my hypothesis by removing dealership oil & service from the equation. I guess if I did buy the dealership oil, and only removed service from the equation, it would be a better controlled experiment... but I'm not trying to publish a peer reviewed theory here I just want to skip over the aggravation and move on with my life post-oil change.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Using the GM oil, from the dealership, is the exact thing I am trying to avoid. My hypothesis: Dealership oil + service ='s ~ 4 CEL's & 1-2 months of total aggravation. I am trying to test my hypothesis by removing dealership oil & service from the equation. I guess if I did buy the dealership oil, and only removed service from the equation, it would be a better controlled experiment... but I'm not trying to publish a peer reviewed theory here I just want to skip over the aggravation and move on with my life post-oil change.
You're smart. I also like your methodology.

You've proabaly already seen this - but here are the dexos2 registered oils. However, not all are the 5W30 required by this engine.

dexos2 Brands | GM

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
A quick Google turned up this list of dexos2 oils. Pay attention to the viscosity as well.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
OP?

I really doubt if the oil change (or oil used) is causing a problem.
If it was the cause, you would have the same failure after the sensor was exchanged since the fresh oil is still in the crankcase.

Anyways, if you wish to perform the experiment (although you may now have the updated sensors) look up and purchass a case of Mobil Super 3000 XE.
This is marketed as a full synthetic dexos 2 rated oil and is the alternate oil most (good) GM dealers have on hand for the diesel drivers that wish to use a full synthetic.

It is marketed on the web, sold by the case.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone for your input! Gives me some direction. This is what I have gathered as my options:

1) Total Quartz INEO MC3 5qt bottle @ $42.32 ($8.46/qt) on Amazon, Dexos2 certified, but 1 out of 3 amazon reviews state they shipped the wrong product.

2) Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP 12qt case @ $109.88 ($9.16/qt) on Amazon, NOT Dexos2 certified, but from what I read Dexos2 is merely a certification one pays to get, and if problems arise it may void your warranty? I've already sued GM, I've signed a release from all future claims, and I'm outside the 36k warranty and into my 100k extended 3rd party warranty. The likelihood of Mobil 1 making my car any worse than it already is.....1M to 1? Based on reviews from TDI users on Amazon and this forum, I'd say this stuff is a safe bet, but I acknowledge the risk of using a non-certified oil.

3) Mobil Super 3000 XE 1qt @ $7.99/qt pre-tax, Dexos2 certified, DIFFICULT to find, only US supplier online w/10min search is jegs.com and they wont ship it for over a week. I am on 1% oil right now....

All options here seem to be good ones, but each has their own qualm!

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
why not go to the dealer and get full synthetic ac delco dexos 2 oil? its 9 something a quart

·
Registered
246 Posts
why not go to the dealer and get full synthetic ac delco dexos 2 oil? its 9 something a quart
I think she's trying to avoid the dealer at all costs (literally and figuratively).........

Sure, she can BUY it at dealer, BUT she's trying to establish if she can avoid CELs by trying another oil change place/method. Can't say I blame her for that.

BTW, @Jaxx, are you under a NDA or can you discuss the reasons for the "settlement" with GM about the car??? I'd love to have a new thread and hear about this one.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
but from what I read Dexos2 is merely a certification one pays to get,
True. However, since you're concerned the oil might be a cause of problems, I don't think I'd go that route - at least not on this change.

Something to think about - the oil change job is about the bottom of the totem pole for techs. It's going to be the newest guy they're testing to see if he (or she) will work out. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they've been putting the wrong oil in the car. At least if you supply the oil and see it poured in - you'll know for sure what's in there.

Reactions: Tomko

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
BTW, @Jaxx, are you under a NDA or can you discuss the reasons for the "settlement" with GM about the car??? I'd love to have a new thread and hear about this one.
I am not under a NDA :) There was no single reason for a settlement, I just sent in my numerous service receipts for CEL's, which were piling up even during settlement negotiations, and they finally made an offer I couldn't refuse ;) Had it been fully litigated through a trial, the reasons would become clear, but settlements say "just go away, we are not paying someone to disprove any reasons you come up with"

In all fairness, the settlement letter DOES say that payment shall NOT be considered an admission of liability or wrong doing by General Motors :D :D :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am not under a NDA :) There was no single reason for a settlement, I just sent in my numerous service receipts for CEL's, which were piling up even during settlement negotiations, and they finally made an offer I couldn't refuse ;) Had it been fully litigated through a trial, the reasons would become clear, but settlements say "just go away, we are not paying someone to disprove any reasons you come up with"

In all fairness, the settlement letter DOES say that payment shall NOT be considered an admission of liability or wrong doing by General Motors :D :D :D
@Jaxx , SO, not to derail this thread and coming from one who has a LOT of experience with the various Lemon Laws, the complaint was CELs that were unresolved?? Were these emissions related issues or other?? Typically, most manufacturers make the owner/claimant take them to the "carpet" (usually "arb" initially ) before they even start negotiating a settlement. Perhaps our Cruze CTD diesel owners can learn a lil bit from you about the issues you had and how they were resolved. Call me curious, BUT this was all about CELs?? Typically, its much more nefarious.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Jaxx , SO, not to derail this thread and coming from one who has a LOT of experience with the various Lemon Laws, the complaint was CELs that were unresolved?? Were these emissions related issues or other?? Typically, most manufacturers make the owner/claimant take them to the "carpet" (usually "arb" initially ) before they even start negotiating a settlement. Perhaps our Cruze CTD diesel owners can learn a lil bit from you about the issues you had and how they were resolved. Call me curious, BUT this was all about CELs?? Typically, its much more nefarious.
No arbitration was required in my case. Yes they were all emissions related CEL's, but reading the complaint you wouldn't really know that. I thought the law firm's secretary did a sloppy job drafting the allegations, maybe that worked out in my favor. Nothing was nefarious, I am attorney myself so lawsuits don't get me all bothered. My car breaking left and right certainly did!

1 - 20 of 133 Posts