Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I recently just had an oil change done as per the dealer no cost maintenance. I always read the part numbers on the work sheet that is given back as a receipt, and I noticed after looking the oil part number that was used up, that it was for a Dexos1 oil.

Now, I know the diesel Cruze requires a Dexos2 oil. I went back to the service manager and he told me he was sure they had put the right type of oil in, but someone in parts must have messed it up by just selecting the "default" oil for the purpose of the paper invoice since it was free anyway. The mechanic told me that "we only use dexos2 here for everything nowadays." This struck me as odd because the Cruze owner's manual states that the Cruze gasoline engine requires Dexos1 so how could that be true?

After they tried convincing me that there was no issue I decided to drive home. About 2 miles later, I didn't feel confident about the situation so I turned around and long story short, had them drain it and put in the correct oil with the matching correct part number. Since this all happened near closing time, I had to come back the next day.

The next morning I get a call from the service manager, who is actually a nice guy, and he told me he personally supervised the oil drain/change, kept the box for it, and also called GM directly to ensure the oil was the correct one as there was apparently some variation in the proper part numbers. He told me I was absolutely right about the situation and apologized for using the Dexos1 in my car. He asked GM if having the dexos1 could have caused damage for the 2-3 miles the car was driven with it, and they assured him apparently that the diesel Cruze motor was super stout and that it would be no issue at all.

My question: am I being crazy to ask if you guys think that driving it for 10 minutes/2-3 miles with the dexos1 could have been damaging to the engine? I knows it formulated for gas engines and therefore doesn't have the same lubrication properties. What do you guys think?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,017 Posts
You should be fine since it was caught so quickly. The big thing about Dexos2 oil is the Low-SAPS properties to avoid damaging the emissions system. The lubrication you received from the Dexos1 would have been adequate, but if it had been left in there over a long period of time, it would have probably resulted in deposits forming in your emissions system, a clogged DPF, or damaged sensors.

·
Administrator
25,096 Posts
Keep that dealership - not only do they own their mistakes but they follow up with both GM and you. However, don't keep them a secret - who's the dealership and where are they located. :)

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
My dealer changes my oil with mobil 1, last fall they mistakenly put the dexos blend in my car. Pointed this out, my car instantly went back on the hoist and oil was changed again. I was then informed every 4th oil change is free and would not be being charged for the oil change at all.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Everytime I get my paper work it always states Dexos 1 and everytime I question them.

They check with the tech who confirms he used Dexo 2 and state that the parts department uses the wrong part number.

I wouldn't worry one bit about the small amount of driving you did with the wrong oil.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You're good to go buddy. While the lack of attention to detail drives me bonkers at least it sounds like they did due diligence to make things right without you having to pull out the big guns lol. With the type of service I get across the board in any venue now a days, sounds like an excellent experience to me! :)

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I agree with everybody here. your car is absolutely fine and you have a very good dealership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts