Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if this may be covered? I just returned from the dealership getting my ECM -- Engine Control Module recall completed. Turns out when the battery isn't strong enough the recall procedure actually fries the ECM. My car currently has 89,000 miles on it (which is still under the 100k power train warranty, but the ECM isn't considered under that warranty) and the battery was replaced about 7 months a go with a duralast gold from AutoZone. I was able to swap out my battery at autozone today for a new one. However, I'm still apparently held liable for a manufacture's recall for the very item they are trying to charge me for now. My understand about the recall is they have to "flash" the computer and not replace it. Does this hold any weight in terms that am I really going to have to pay ~$500 to have this fixed for a recall I didn't really have todo and didn't happen because of me? Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
File a complaint with the NHTSA. Include the recall number.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Sounds like another story about an incompetent Chevy dealer service department. In addition to Obermd's guidence;
http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners
1. Open an issue with GM. See the toll free number in the back of your OM.
2. Contact Chevy Customer Care Service Reps. that lurk here and PM them with your information and issue.
View Profile: Chevy Customer Care - Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums
3. Keep all receipts relative to this issue including the ones from AZ. You should be keeping them anyway until you no longer have the car.
4. Go to church and light a candle. (couldn't hurt)

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
It sticks in my memory (I'm not in front of the books right now), that the procedure says to make sure there's sufficient voltage. IOW, it's up to the tech to make sure conditions are safe for the flashing. If the tech took a shortcut, that's his problem. So I think this is on the head of the tech, not you. After all, how is the average customer supposed to test or even know they need a strong battery for this operation? The dealer has the equipment and employees that understand cars. You don't. I think the dealer is trying to get you to pay for his mistake.

So what happened? Is the car dead?

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Procedure states that the vehicle is to be connected to a stable power supply throughout the reflash. There's even a J tool specified for this function as required dealer equipment. A kind of super duper battery tender. At about ten times the cost.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
You drove that car into the Dealer with a perfectly good ECM....the Dealership damaged it while in their possession while being serviced by them so its their responsibility to replace. They fix it on their dime or call a lawyer....I doubt any Judge or Jury will rule against you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
**** Just an update. I contacted Chevrolet this morning. They are escalating the issue and will be contacting the dealership to find out their procedures taken. The Chevy rep I spoke to on the phone also seemed concerned that a voltage strength test should have been performed for such a sensitive part, which IS in the recall procedure and should have detected a weak battery.

Don't get me wrong this dealership is a nice dealership, not shady or anything.

I'd like the thank everyone that replied to my thread, everyone's comments were helpful and I'll be posting a complete update when I have my baby back hopefully early next week.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Agreed. A dealership is people. And like any team it has folks who have bad days or even bad weeks. So until we know how this one shakes out we're best to point to technician error rather than an entirely at-fault dealer.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Regardless of who made the error, the dealership owes you a working car. It was working before you took it in - it needs to be working when you leave.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Agreed. A dealership is people. And like any team it has folks who have bad days or even bad weeks. So until we know how this one shakes out we're best to point to technician error rather than an entirely at-fault dealer.
Technician error - it happens. But for them to try and charge you - someone else was having a "bad day".

Reactions: Jim Frye

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't get it, How could they even drive the car out of the service dept if it had a Fried ecm...??
I drove it there fine for the recall. They came and got me waiting in the lobby and told me about the ecm mishap. My car is still in the mechanic's bay. They put me in a Cruze loaner for the weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Technician error - it happens. But for them to try and charge you - someone else was having a "bad day".
Like maybe the person running the service department?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I drove it there fine for the recall. They came and got me waiting in the lobby and told me about the ecm mishap. My car is still in the mechanic's bay. They put me in a Cruze loaner for the weekend.

Good for them. I still don't see why they were trying to stick you with the ECM cost though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another update. I received a call from "Chevrolet Customer Assistance" -CAA from where I filed my first complaint against the dealership. Kind of a dead end considering the rep that called me was unprepared for my questions and only had the power to request information from the dealership. She advised me that I wouldn't be able to escalate the issue and further. There was a statement about the ACDelco Gold aftermarket battery I had in the car and that voided any wiggle room for complaint. (Which doesn't make sense to me). The rep stated: service procedures should be available to the public and she will "look into for me." (I'm NOT expecting a call back from her) lol. I was able to get the service mangers name and info from the CCA. Which prompted me to call the dealership again.
When speaking to the dealership, they stated "they don't even have access to service procedures." How is that possible? How is GM suppose to have quality checks if the mechanics aren't following a step by step list for services, especially recalls.
So I'm asking the you guys, the CruzeTalk Nation... Does anyone have access to the recall procedure for the ECM reboot for the 2012 1.4lL Cruze I'm trying the find the specific line where the mechanic would need to check the battery some how, either visually or electronically.
I'm debating if taking legal action would be helpful with lawyer fees vs paying the dealership. Or if I just threaten the use of a lawyer would provide any help.

--Please help.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Another update. I received a call from "Chevrolet Customer Assistance" -CAA from where I filed my first complaint against the dealership. Kind of a dead end considering the rep that called me was unprepared for my questions and only had the power to request information from the dealership. She advised me that I wouldn't be able to escalate the issue and further. There was a statement about the ACDelco Gold aftermarket battery I had in the car and that voided any wiggle room for complaint. (Which doesn't make sense to me). The rep stated: service procedures should be available to the public and she will "look into for me." (I'm NOT expecting a call back from her) lol. I was able to get the service mangers name and info from the CCA. Which prompted me to call the dealership again.
When speaking to the dealership, they stated "they don't even have access to service procedures." How is that possible? How is GM suppose to have quality checks if the mechanics aren't following a step by step list for services, especially recalls.
So I'm asking the you guys, the CruzeTalk Nation... Does anyone have access to the recall procedure for the ECM reboot for the 2012 1.4lL Cruze I'm trying the find the specific line where the mechanic would need to check the battery some how, either visually or electronically.
I'm debating if taking legal action would be helpful with lawyer fees vs paying the dealership. Or if I just threaten the use of a lawyer would provide any help.

--Please help.

You got not one, but two bullshit answers. First, assuming the aftermarket battery hasn't leaked and it meets or exceeds the OEM battery specs it cannot void the warranty as long as the battery meets the minimum requirements of the OEM battery. Second, your dealership is lying through their teeth about not having access to the proper service procedures. They're on their bloody computer system - they just have to look. If you haven't already done so, file a NHTSA complaint about the fact that a GM recall made your car inoperable. Then call your local TV station troubleshooter and ask them if they would be willing to ask the dealership how it is that having a recall on your car has left it inoperable. Just getting them to do this may get your car repaired at the dealer's cost and there's no charge to you for them to look into this. If that doesn't work my next step would be to go talk to the district attorney about filing a criminal, not civil, but criminal complaint for property damage against the dealership. I guarantee that if the police show up at the dealership with a summons and complaint for willfull or negligent property damage your car will be fixed immediately. You won't be welcome back at that dealership but you don't want to go back there anyway.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
It's hard not to argue with the Major.

You've asked for our help MNFG and in less than an hour you've received it.

Please keep us informed.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Clearly, this is a dealership service department that is so poorly managed that they don't have the proper equipment to service what they sell and they are apparently not using the many service support functions that GM makes available to the dealerships.

Since the service departments are usually run as separate profit centers within the dealership's enterprise, it's up to the Service Manager (and the General Manager) to oversee the operation. I ran into one dealership (ford) service department that was so badly run, they didn't even have glue to plug a screw hole in one of my tires from the screw it picked up in their parking lot. It took two visits to get it fixed correctly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts