Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 37 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went in for my 7500 mile oil change and the dealer recommended Mobil Delvac 1 ESP as the synthetic oil for my car.

They were very understanding and used my Mobil 1 ESP 5w30. Seems the education still isn't getting through.

I was also told by one employee that I would void my warranty if I used a non-Dexos 2 oil. Not really confidence inspiring but they were willing to listen to my concerns.

I hope they get this figured out. Officially there is no listed synthetic oil for the Cruze in the GM parts manual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, Mobil 1 is not Dexos 2. There are no readily available Dexos 2 Mobil 1 products available in the US.

Also the dealer didn't know to drain the fuel filter of water or to fill the DEF tank.

This is so painful and a huge waste of my time. All the dealer had to do was look at the required services for the service before I got here.

If you don't know diesels, do not buy a Cruze Diesel. I feel bad for all the people who will have issues because the dealers are not trained and GM is doing a poor job as well.

People will probably end up with water in the fuel filter issues and run out of DEF in the middle of a service interval and have no idea why.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It really is just dealing with the dealer. The car has been great so far. I just would like a dealership that sold the car to know something about it.

I know the manual says Dexos 2 but they can't require you to use something that is licensed. The oil I'm using meets ACEA C3 specs which is what the manual says to use if you can't use Dexos 2.

I probably won't buy another unless GM can turn around the knowledge and education aspects. However I'm keeping this unless there are mechanical issues. I can work around the mis-information and knowledge gap.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
For now I'm going to continue with the Mobil 1 ESP 5w30, but will switch to a Dexos 2 product should one become available easily. I'm almost considering just going with the AC Delco Dexos 2 synthetic blend just so I don't have to worry about this stuff. Honestly, I've never had to put so much time and effort into car maintenance that I wasn't performing.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, the Total Oil looks good to me so I will probably go with that.

I know I may complain a lot and that's what happens on these forums. I do like the car. It's just taking too much time to get things done. I spent 5 hours at the dealer this weekend and if I had not done my research I would have the wrong oil, not gotten the DEF filled and not had the water drained from the fuel filter. That is maintenance 101 and the dealer shouldn't need me to tell them that. I really do hope the dealers catch on and get past this.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That is certainly a good thing diesel. Generally it shouldn't fill, but it is part of the maintenance to drain the filer at each oil change. You probably needn't worry since your filter will be drained of all fuel and water at the next service when the fuel filter is replaced.

1 - 6 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.