Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2011 chevy Cruze 1.8. I noticed the coolant was disappearing and there was little bit of oil on the coolant reservoir. took it to the dealer and they said it was the head gasket. but they said that because the engine block and cylinder head were made of aluminum, they will both have to be resurfaced but they said that this engine come in a way that doing that will make the piston hit the valves because the space between them will be reduced due to the resurfacing. the car itself is normal no misfires, drives like a charm. I would greatly appreciate if any of you were to confirm this or maybe any thoughts or suggestions. thank you

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Odometer reading?

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
If it's common for the head or block to warp. Then resurface would be necessary.

Normally one would just run a file along the surface to rough it up so the gasket seals better.

I don't know about the block but heads have been aluminum for years. Haven't heard of too many heads getting resurfaced. Practically nill. But, I don't work at a machine shop.

Find a engine rebuild shop and ask them. They'd know more and could tell you wether dealer is being truthful or not. Maybe they have some experience in cruze motors. They could probably even do the job for cheaper then what the dealer will want.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
OP.....you are being lied to.......go elseware.

You engine has a aluminum head and a cast iron block.....yes, the head should be checked for any warpage if removed. The block, unless severely overheated, requires no attention beyond cleaning of the mating surfaces.

Currently though, I am doubting the diagnosis based on the fact the shop does not know what material the engine is constructed of.

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your responses. Do you know if resurfacing the head would leave enough space for the piston and the valve to not hit each other

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,682 Posts
Thanks for your responses. Do you know if resurfacing the head would leave enough space for the piston and the valve to not hit each other
Yes - it would not take off enough material to cause an interference condition. You're talking thousandths of an inch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts