Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 2011/2013 Cruze 1.4T all models.

Best I have for now is something about reprogramming the ECM for emission compliance.

I'll keep my ear to the ground....maybe someone will get better details sooner than I.

Rob

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
That's Nice to hear something that is not going to be so Nice .. Ha already had my emissions tested for the next 2 years .. OH Goodie ..

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,637 Posts
There was some emissions recall released a few months ago for earlier 1.4T automatics (2011? 12?)

You say this one will affect both gas engines and transmissions?

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
...and is it going to effect those people with Tunes I'm sure people with them are thinking.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
...and is it going to effect those people with Tunes I'm sure people with them are thinking.
Thats why recalls are optional. Especially one that deals with emissions. What 36+mpgs isnt good enough for lowering emissions.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I wonder if it has something to do with the sticking steering issue. On April 11, 2015, GM announced that it would not issue a recall for the problem even though two owners reported crashing due to the issue.

"GM told the Times the stuck steering wheels aren't considered enough of a safety hazard to order a recall, yet GM sent its dealers a technical service bulletin about the problem. The bulletin tells GM dealers exactly how to repair the problem by installing a simple software update, but only if customers complain enough to bring their cars in for service."

Steering Wheels Stick in the Chevy Cruze, Malibu and Buick Verano | CarComplaints.com

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing about steering was brought up.....it was along the lines of a compliance issue only at highway speeds.

Model years 2011/2013 1.4T Eco or LT's..........no mention of the 1.8 gang.

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,870 Posts
Nothing about steering was brought up.....it was along the lines of a compliance issue only at highway speeds.
I just hope it doesn't screw up the MPG. I can't say as I'm anxious to take it in if it's just for emissions.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wonder if it has something to do with the sticking steering issue. On April 11, 2015, GM announced that it would not issue a recall for the problem even though two owners reported crashing due to the issue.

"GM told the Times the stuck steering wheels aren't considered enough of a safety hazard to order a recall, yet GM sent its dealers a technical service bulletin about the problem. The bulletin tells GM dealers exactly how to repair the problem by installing a simple software update, but only if customers complain enough to bring their cars in for service."

Steering Wheels Stick in the Chevy Cruze, Malibu and Buick Verano | CarComplaints.com
Pretty sure they're going to steer clear of a recall on this one because it requires replacing the $800 steering gear on 2011-2012 model years.

·
Administrator
25,158 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Hope its not like some Microsoft updates, recall a framework or something like this on XP that really caused my computer to crash and with 8.1 programs that were running wouldn't run anymore.

Cruze is running perfectly fine the way it is, have they really tested out this new firmware that won't create new problems?

O4 Cavalier had three firmware updates, latest one caused an engine hesitation when taking off in 1st gear, just had to learn to live with it. But was told had something to do with EPA emission requirements.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hope its not like some Microsoft updates, recall a framework or something like this on XP that really caused my computer to crash and with 8.1 programs that were running wouldn't run anymore.

Cruze is running perfectly fine the way it is, have they really tested out this new firmware that won't create new problems?

O4 Cavalier had three firmware updates, latest one caused an engine hesitation when taking off in 1st gear, just had to learn to live with it. But was told had something to do with EPA emission requirements.
hmm recall declined. I'm not going in to let GM fiddle with my car. It works just fine. This is not a safety issue or a hazard.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
SUBJECT: Reprogram Engine Control Module
MODELS: 2011-2013 Chevrolet Cruze
Equipped with 1.4L Engine (RPO LUJ and LUV) and Automatic Transmission
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]CONDITION
General Motors has decided to conduct a voluntary emission recall of 2011-2013 Chevrolet Cruze vehicles equipped with a 1.4L engine (RPO LUJ or LUV) and an automatic transmission. General Motors and US Environmental Protection Agency emissions testing found vehicles that did not comply with the carbon monoxide emissions standard on the US06 emissions test. This test measures tailpipe emissions during high speed/high load conditions.
CORRECTION
Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module (ECM) to revise the fuel enrichment strategy as required.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

·
Registered
561 Posts
Agreed. I'll get the recall once I fail emissions....
I saw a post here somewhere but I can't find it now. It said that the Trifecta tune uses the new emissions program as a base so at least for me that means I don't have to worry about failing the emissions test. I simply don't need to be flashed. If they ask me I'll simply say Ted Britt's updated it and they must have forgotten to file the paper work. They are wankers and stiffed me on my oil change when I bought the car from Sterling Chevrolet and they bought the dealership but thought it would be cute not to honor a simple little oil change in good faith to keep customers.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
SUBJECT: Reprogram Engine Control Module
MODELS: 2011-2013 Chevrolet Cruze
Equipped with 1.4L Engine (RPO LUJ and LUV) and Automatic Transmission
CONDITION
General Motors has decided to conduct a voluntary emission recall of 2011-2013 Chevrolet Cruze vehicles equipped with a 1.4L engine (RPO LUJ or LUV) and an automatic transmission. General Motors and US Environmental Protection Agency emissions testing found vehicles that did not comply with the carbon monoxide emissions standard on the US06 emissions test. This test measures tailpipe emissions during high speed/high load conditions.
CORRECTION
Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module (ECM) to revise the fuel enrichment strategy as required.

Got out of this one, have a manual transmission.

My uneducated guess is the only thing they could do with the firmware is lean out the mixture, and maybe go overboard like this did on my 04 so get some hesitation when accelerating. Never noted any change in fuel economy. This mostly depended upon what kind of crap I got out of the pump.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Got out of this one, have a manual transmission.

My uneducated guess is the only thing they could do with the firmware is lean out the mixture, and maybe go overboard like this did on my 04 so get some hesitation when accelerating. Never noted any change in fuel economy. This mostly depended upon what kind of crap I got out of the pump.
Are you enjoying your car?-

-Yeah

Great well we're here to fix it.-

-But it's not broken.

Oh yes it is and if you don't do it the gangster government will lean on you and hand you fines and fees-

-Fine

Great now it's fixed-

-Awww wtf now it drives like s h i t

You can buy a new vehicle from us-

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thanks Robby and ChevyMGR.

It sounds like this reprogramming would make the engine run richer to bring the emission system to full temperature faster?

If that's the case I'm not sure I'll be racing in to get this one.

With the coolant system finally working properly and not venting with BlueAngel's O-ring solution, the car is delivering 38 mpg on the pump calcs and 41 mpg over a 400 mile average on the DIC.

There's no yearly emissions testing in Minnesota anymore.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts