Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As everyone knows, I just got my car back from trans and clutch and oil change. Yesterday I was looking at my car and noticed one of my lug nuts was not an acorn nut. So I looked at my invoice and it had 7.21 misc charge. Curious I went back to the dealer and mentioned the changed lug nut the misc charge. I got a big spiel about how the misc charge is a computer generated "shop fee" charge and everyone gets charged this! The lug nut well the caps just break off from time to time and the service advisor that took care of me was not there so I need to wait till Tuesday when he comes in to get this resolved! I have never had an Acorn lug nut break like this before. I am sure they were telling me all this to one forget the fact the misc charge is a bs charge like the dealer prep charges and the lug nut(why did I notice it) the wheel is still held on OK. Hopefully I will forget by Tuesday! Now I know why I never go back to the dealer for any service!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Most dealers along with many regular shops charge a shop fee that covers supplies. Nothing new about that and is usually waved under warranty work, the same with Tax.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The shop fee has become common......usually a small percentage of the labor charge.
The purpose is to help defray the costs of shop towels, servicing of the parts cleaning tank(s), uniforms, etcetera......the forgotten expenses that go along with operating a shop.

The lug nut thing........the nuts have a stainless steel hex cover.....it is not crimped in any way, the hex is purposely deformed so it binds to the steel lug nut that you now see.

A very poor design in my opinion, the covers just decide to bail.....sometimes while removing/installing, sometimes just going down the road.
If I run across a loose one I pull it off, slightly deform the hex, and press it back on.
I would not be surprised if you try to gently pull on each lug cap, a few will be loose, a few might come off.

I don't think the dealer can be held responsible for a cheezy design.

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Hyundai dealer as a nice free gester installed thief proof lug nuts on my new car. Original lugs nuts were in the package this kit came in. Said thank you, but no thank you, switch them back to the original ones for two reasons.

First reason, can buy that keyed lug nut removal just about anyplace, second more important reason, that key is so thin, can break off if a lug nut is a bit corroded. Had that happen a long time ago, this is when you really have problems.

Also told them I am doing my own maintenance, gave to be log to fill out. If I do have warranty problems, would just prefer trading my old worn out part for a new one.

Loctite does have a good selection of glues that you need now to keep your vehicle together. Did you try duct tape?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Also heard on a WPR program why dealers love recalls, not only do they get paid for doing the recall from the manufacturer, but gives them other things to find wrong with your vehicle to run up your bill. Is a call in program, one guy said his nearest dealer was three hours away, made an appointment for an ignition switch, but when he got there, were out of stock.

Others is our state dumping state emissions testing, all private now, some 220 in Milwaukee, told my daughter her hub bearings were bad, 600 bucks, called me and said no way. When I looked at the car asked if she drove on gravel, stones between the rotor and the shield, She said no, so speculating they put them there. Also scared the living hail our of her, can get killed driving this thing. With four daughters and two daughter-in-laws and a wife, women are their key targets.

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The shop fee has become common......usually a small percentage of the labor charge.
The purpose is to help defray the costs of shop towels, servicing of the parts cleaning tank(s), uniforms, etcetera......the forgotten expenses that go along with operating a shop.

The lug nut thing........the nuts have a stainless steel hex cover.....it is not crimped in any way, the hex is purposely deformed so it binds to the steel lug nut that you now see.

A very poor design in my opinion, the covers just decide to bail.....sometimes while removing/installing, sometimes just going down the road.
If I run across a loose one I pull it off, slightly deform the hex, and press it back on.
I would not be surprised if you try to gently pull on each lug cap, a few will be loose, a few might come off.

I don't think the dealer can be held responsible for a cheesy design.

Rob
Yeah I expected that. I rarely take my car to the dealer so initially I thought the $7 was for the lug nut and did not know about the this charge. But they do need to defray the cost of running the shop. Overall I am more than happy with the service I received with the transmission and clutch. I will probably go out to my local auto parts store and pick up another lug nut and forget about it. Just never had problems with a lug nut before so it is first for me.

Didn't mean to come off as a rant to begin with just a bunch of firsts for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts