Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Jordon. I had purchased a 2013 Chevy Cruze LT from a dealership in Dowagiac, MI. The dealership is CWimberly. When I first went to look at the car everything was topped off, ( coolant, oil blah blah). After a week of owning the car I realized the engine started to sound weird. I looked at the engine and found out my coolant was 1/4 full of what it needed to be. I decided to refill it not thinking about it being anything serious. A day goes by I check to realize coolant level drops everyday at a decent rate. I had known I was taking it to get looked at in a few days was very busy just had my newborn baby 3 days before purchasing. I then realized dark wetness under my right side passenger front end. Come to find out my turbo hose is blowing oil... SMH.. I began to get frustrated. I鈥檓 18 years old... had my first baby... bought my first car... what could go wrong! I then took it into the mechanic to find out my coolant system drops pressure after 15 minutes of idling. I wanted to get it fixed but they disregarded it and went to the one thing no one wants to hear..... YOUR TURBO WILL BE GOING OUT VERY SOON. They totally began to ignore the coolant issue wanting money to fix the turbo. Curious as I am I asked. Hey, how much you think it鈥檒l cost to fix? Well roughly 1500$ or more. I lost it. I was so upset. I spent all my savings on this vehicle.. paid $7000 for it... that鈥檚 a lot for an 18 year old that grew up without proper parents.. so I had no help whatsoever.. I can鈥檛 afford this I tell myself. I text the guy who sold me the car from the lot... Hey, I鈥檓 loosing coolant and it鈥檚 dropping on the ground also my right side passenger front end underneath is blowing oil everywhere on my splash shield and this planting dense hose thing was drenched.. I just bought this car are you serious?? Do I get a free inspection?? Since I just bought it will you guys pay for it to be fixed?? He responded with what I鈥檓 sure everyone hears.. it鈥檚 sold as is and has no warrenty... inspections are $115 if you鈥檇 like to bring it in we can look at it.. I was bent... I鈥檓 18.. have a newborn baby.. spent my only $7,000 so I knew I can get her to appointments and be a reliable parent.. you guys make so much money from selling cars it is ridiculous.. you really can鈥檛 help me with a car you sold knowing was messed up or going to mess up. I bought new stuff. Coolant system.. coil pack.. spark plugs.. evap purge valve.. filters... sensors... with the money I barely had. I was broke for 2 weeks could barely afford bills... engine lights came on. I diagnosed them myself and got tips and options of what the codes were.. they all turned off after parts were replaced.. but still. Loosing tons of coolant.. oil still blowing everywhere.. BUT.. one morning I get ready for work. Hop in the car already upset and depressed and on edge of wishing I were dead.. couldn鈥檛 afford to blink it felt like I had so much pressure on me. Start the car. Seemed to take longer to turn over but not to terribly bad.. I go on about my morning back out and car felt weird. A little shaky and gas petal was pressured and stiff.. NOTE: it did this the whole time I had it even before this time as I replaced parts it鈥檚 stopped then continued then stoped then continued. Back to the story. I head to work, stop at stop sign and noticed a shake. Petal is stiff. I decided to push the petal past the pressure built up. The car went like normal I got to about 60 mph pushing 5,500 rpms before most shifts. I noticed a weird glare out of mirror and then realized I seen smoke coming from tail pipe. Was worried so I decided to slow down and what not another stop sign came right after I slowed down. Turned and tried going but to have to look back in mirror to the biggest cloud and drag of greyish blue maybe white smoke coming from tailpipe. It was super thick. Looked like someone had been burning leaves but out my tailpipe. I had lost power at this point. Tons of shaking. Sputtering. Engine noice. Came to a stop and revved it in park. Not very excessively but then smoke was pushing out exhaust until it became lighter. Still ran like crap.. I had turned the car off but had to do this about 4 times. I put in drive and started to go it shook and puttered a little. Then drove normal.. seems like boost is in issue. Still shouldn鈥檛 be happening.. it does this non stop when I try to push past the pressure and boost. I had gotten fed up and called the dealership. I asked for the owner got on phone with him and explained the issues for him to get crappy and say there is no lemon law and it鈥檚 an older car that鈥檚 what you have to expect. I had gotten pretty snappy and he finally said I will try to work with you. I have a few options.. bring it in and we can look at it.. maybe get you a new car of equal value.. or fix it for you.. He asked when can you come in.. I was frustrated and upset.. I鈥檒l come in right now I鈥檓 on my way. He said okay. I went in to meet with the owners brother apparently that鈥檚 who it was when I got there.. he asked what was wrong with it blah blah I explained. He said how鈥檚 it drive I told him to drive it yourself and I鈥檒l ride with. He drove it like a lil baby. Looked at me and said seems like it鈥檚 driving normal to me. I got distracted and asked. Have you ever owned a Chevy Cruze. He responded no I said exactly I鈥檓 not crazy there is something wrong with this car. He then decided to speed up but not even enough to experience what I do everyday. He looked at me again and said dude honestly I don鈥檛 see what wrong with the car like it鈥檚 driving fine. I then got irritated and We get back he said I don鈥檛 see what鈥檚 wrong with it if you鈥檇 like bring it in Monday for inspection. I said what.. are you gonna charge me for that? He said no I won鈥檛 and I said cool I鈥檒l be here Monday... NOTE:his chubby brother works there and comes into the restaurant my dad And I work at and he noticed the car was from his shop. He then told me and my dad that the car was not supposed to be sold off the lot it was going to auction fairly soon and that there was a lot wrong with the car.. I explained to him my problems he said he will talk to the guy who sold it. Never Hurd anything.. I tried to call the owner Monday and got transferred to his phone and no answer. I left voicemail with name and number.. no response no nothing. I鈥檓 beyond frustrated. I鈥檓 18!!! Spent my only $7,000 on this stupid car I knew nothing about. I鈥檓 out the money and worried it鈥檚 gonna blow soon. My newborn will be without reliable transportation. I can鈥檛 afford a new car or to fix the problems that I had when they gave it to me.. I鈥檓 beyond depressed and emotionally devastated.. I feel like they knew the issues and sold it to me because I鈥檓 a young adult and don鈥檛 know much about cars.. how could you treat a human so poorly and sell a messed up car to a small young family that was desperate and bought car out of hurry and fear of no transportation... thanks cwimberly.. it鈥檚 so nice of you to do what you do to people. I will not buy a Chevrolet ever again. Idk what to buy. Idk what to do. I鈥檓 over this.. even if I knew all the problems and what needed replaced I can鈥檛 afford it at all. Shouldn鈥檛 have to replace much considering it came from a dealership that should do regular service and maintenance. Still sputters. Smokes on boost build. I鈥檓 sure it鈥檚 turbo. Which I can鈥檛 afford. But they sure can afford to fix it for me. They make tons of money like seriously dude.. thanks cwimberly for making the most valuable moment of my life hard. 18.. newborn.. spent my savings ($7000). All I had... spilt my emotions. And I鈥檓 drained. I just give up trying with them and this car.. nothing will be done it鈥檒l blow up soon I鈥檓 sure unless I hit lottery and fix the whole car.. smfh

Still sputters. Shakes. Growls weird.. ticks.. blows smoke on boost.. pressure in gas petal..

Thanks for reading

these people purposely sold me this car knowing I had no knowledge and was gullible.. I鈥檓 disgusted.. bye

Registered
Unfortunately it is a buyer beware situation. I hate to be this way about it but there really isn't much to say. It's on you now, you could have taken it to a mechanic for an inspection before purchasing it. I understand the difficulties with the new baby but it's still on you. Their job is to sell cars. That's it. Granted the issues with it are something that they had to have known about. If possible, ask to speak to the general manager and explain your situation. Best case scenario they pay for a portion of it. Beyond that I really wouldn't expect much. I'm semi local to you, about half hour south of South Bend and see CW Wimberley ads alot. They come off as very customer driven and courteous. Hopefully they'll live up to that image.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately it is a buyer beware situation. I hate to be this way about it but there really isn't much to say. It's on you now, you could have taken it to a mechanic for an inspection before purchasing it. I understand the difficulties with the new baby but it's still on you. Their job is to sell cars. That's it. Granted the issues with it are something that they had to have known about. If possible, ask to speak to the general manager and explain your situation. Best case scenario they pay for a portion of it. Beyond that I really wouldn't expect much. I'm semi local to you, about half hour south of South Bend and see CW Wimberley ads alot. They come off as very customer driven and courteous. Hopefully they'll live up to that image.

Thanks for your response! I鈥檓 sure it鈥檚 turbo ik it鈥檚 on me at this point just had to put my problems out there. Seen a similar post to mine.. coolant loss and smoke from exhaust rough idle and shaking etc. I guess baby it till I鈥檓 able to replace it..

Registered
It's definitely understandable that you had to vent, anyone would be pissed too. Depending on the financial situation, I've seen used turbos go for $100 in the Cruze classifieds on FB. LKQ is also a place to check. Best of luck and keep us informed. It also wouldn't hurt to be "politely pissed" to the GM there.

Registered
I forgot about the part you mentioned regarding that they'd consider trading you vehicles. Especially due to the fact that it was supposed to go to auction. I'd seriously consider taking them up on it. Couldn't hurt to see what they have to offer. Just a thought.

Registered
I read all of ur post and it makes me mad to it sucks that u buy a car and after it tons of problems , I have seen tons of YouTube videos of ppl changin turbos , don鈥檛 seem to be that hard and used turbos can find for 100$-150$,before two month I purchased a car for my 16 old daughter 2012 Chevy Cruze 108 k on it , test drove it was perfect , guess what , after 1 month turbocharged pipe line leaks , replaced that myslef , now she has transmission cooler fluid line leaking , ordered that , this Friday I鈥檒l install it myslef , then another thing is that she has moisture built up under thermostat, so when I looked over carfax seems like they replaced the thermostat but they may screwed the seal , I鈥檓 preparing to replace that when it gets worse , hope it鈥檚 not water pump ,. So I just wanted to tell u that ur not the only one with issues, and also I鈥檒l never buy an Chevy anymore , while owns 2012 Kia Sorento 122 k on it no problem since 4 years she owned , my 17 years old owns 2009 Hyundai Elantra 143 k no problem , reading on the forum and some YouTube videos this Chevy Cruze are common for breaking down

Premium Member
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
Was this a Chevrolet dealership or a used car lot?

Registered
2016 lscruz
Hi, my name is Jordon. I had purchased a 2013 Chevy Cruze LT from a dealership in Dowagiac, MI. The dealership is CWimberly. When I first went to look at the car everything was topped off, ( coolant, oil blah blah). After a week of owning the car I realized the engine started to sound weird. I looked at the engine and found out my coolant was 1/4 full of what it needed to be. I decided to refill it not thinking about it being anything serious. A day goes by I check to realize coolant level drops everyday at a decent rate. I had known I was taking it to get looked at in a few days was very busy just had my newborn baby 3 days before purchasing. I then realized dark wetness under my right side passenger front end. Come to find out my turbo hose is blowing oil... SMH.. I began to get frustrated. I鈥檓 18 years old... had my first baby... bought my first car... what could go wrong! I then took it into the mechanic to find out my coolant system drops pressure after 15 minutes of idling. I wanted to get it fixed but they disregarded it and went to the one thing no one wants to hear..... YOUR TURBO WILL BE GOING OUT VERY SOON. They totally began to ignore the coolant issue wanting money to fix the turbo. Curious as I am I asked. Hey, how much you think it鈥檒l cost to fix? Well roughly 1500$ or more. I lost it. I was so upset. I spent all my savings on this vehicle.. paid $7000 for it... that鈥檚 a lot for an 18 year old that grew up without proper parents.. so I had no help whatsoever.. I can鈥檛 afford this I tell myself. I text the guy who sold me the car from the lot... Hey, I鈥檓 loosing coolant and it鈥檚 dropping on the ground also my right side passenger front end underneath is blowing oil everywhere on my splash shield and this planting dense hose thing was drenched.. I just bought this car are you serious?? Do I get a free inspection?? Since I just bought it will you guys pay for it to be fixed?? He responded with what I鈥檓 sure everyone hears.. it鈥檚 sold as is and has no warrenty... inspections are $115 if you鈥檇 like to bring it in we can look at it.. I was bent... I鈥檓 18.. have a newborn baby.. spent my only $7,000 so I knew I can get her to appointments and be a reliable parent.. you guys make so much money from selling cars it is ridiculous.. you really can鈥檛 help me with a car you sold knowing was messed up or going to mess up. I bought new stuff. Coolant system.. coil pack.. spark plugs.. evap purge valve.. filters... sensors... with the money I barely had. I was broke for 2 weeks could barely afford bills... engine lights came on. I diagnosed them myself and got tips and options of what the codes were.. they all turned off after parts were replaced.. but still. Loosing tons of coolant.. oil still blowing everywhere.. BUT.. one morning I get ready for work. Hop in the car already upset and depressed and on edge of wishing I were dead.. couldn鈥檛 afford to blink it felt like I had so much pressure on me. Start the car. Seemed to take longer to turn over but not to terribly bad.. I go on about my morning back out and car felt weird. A little shaky and gas petal was pressured and stiff.. NOTE: it did this the whole time I had it even before this time as I replaced parts it鈥檚 stopped then continued then stoped then continued. Back to the story. I head to work, stop at stop sign and noticed a shake. Petal is stiff. I decided to push the petal past the pressure built up. The car went like normal I got to about 60 mph pushing 5,500 rpms before most shifts. I noticed a weird glare out of mirror and then realized I seen smoke coming from tail pipe. Was worried so I decided to slow down and what not another stop sign came right after I slowed down. Turned and tried going but to have to look back in mirror to the biggest cloud and drag of greyish blue maybe white smoke coming from tailpipe. It was super thick. Looked like someone had been burning leaves but out my tailpipe. I had lost power at this point. Tons of shaking. Sputtering. Engine noice. Came to a stop and revved it in park. Not very excessively but then smoke was pushing out exhaust until it became lighter. Still ran like crap.. I had turned the car off but had to do this about 4 times. I put in drive and started to go it shook and puttered a little. Then drove normal.. seems like boost is in issue. Still shouldn鈥檛 be happening.. it does this non stop when I try to push past the pressure and boost. I had gotten fed up and called the dealership. I asked for the owner got on phone with him and explained the issues for him to get crappy and say there is no lemon law and it鈥檚 an older car that鈥檚 what you have to expect. I had gotten pretty snappy and he finally said I will try to work with you. I have a few options.. bring it in and we can look at it.. maybe get you a new car of equal value.. or fix it for you.. He asked when can you come in.. I was frustrated and upset.. I鈥檒l come in right now I鈥檓 on my way. He said okay. I went in to meet with the owners brother apparently that鈥檚 who it was when I got there.. he asked what was wrong with it blah blah I explained. He said how鈥檚 it drive I told him to drive it yourself and I鈥檒l ride with. He drove it like a lil baby. Looked at me and said seems like it鈥檚 driving normal to me. I got distracted and asked. Have you ever owned a Chevy Cruze. He responded no I said exactly I鈥檓 not crazy there is something wrong with this car. He then decided to speed up but not even enough to experience what I do everyday. He looked at me again and said dude honestly I don鈥檛 see what wrong with the car like it鈥檚 driving fine. I then got irritated and We get back he said I don鈥檛 see what鈥檚 wrong with it if you鈥檇 like bring it in Monday for inspection. I said what.. are you gonna charge me for that? He said no I won鈥檛 and I said cool I鈥檒l be here Monday... NOTE:his chubby brother works there and comes into the restaurant my dad And I work at and he noticed the car was from his shop. He then told me and my dad that the car was not supposed to be sold off the lot it was going to auction fairly soon and that there was a lot wrong with the car.. I explained to him my problems he said he will talk to the guy who sold it. Never Hurd anything.. I tried to call the owner Monday and got transferred to his phone and no answer. I left voicemail with name and number.. no response no nothing. I鈥檓 beyond frustrated. I鈥檓 18!!! Spent my only $7,000 on this stupid car I knew nothing about. I鈥檓 out the money and worried it鈥檚 gonna blow soon. My newborn will be without reliable transportation. I can鈥檛 afford a new car or to fix the problems that I had when they gave it to me.. I鈥檓 beyond depressed and emotionally devastated.. I feel like they knew the issues and sold it to me because I鈥檓 a young adult and don鈥檛 know much about cars.. how could you treat a human so poorly and sell a messed up car to a small young family that was desperate and bought car out of hurry and fear of no transportation... thanks cwimberly.. it鈥檚 so nice of you to do what you do to people. I will not buy a Chevrolet ever again. Idk what to buy. Idk what to do. I鈥檓 over this.. even if I knew all the problems and what needed replaced I can鈥檛 afford it at all. Shouldn鈥檛 have to replace much considering it came from a dealership that should do regular service and maintenance. Still sputters. Smokes on boost build. I鈥檓 sure it鈥檚 turbo. Which I can鈥檛 afford. But they sure can afford to fix it for me. They make tons of money like seriously dude.. thanks cwimberly for making the most valuable moment of my life hard. 18.. newborn.. spent my savings ($7000). All I had... spilt my emotions. And I鈥檓 drained. I just give up trying with them and this car.. nothing will be done it鈥檒l blow up soon I鈥檓 sure unless I hit lottery and fix the whole car.. smfh

Still sputters. Shakes. Growls weird.. ticks.. blows smoke on boost.. pressure in gas petal..

Thanks for reading

these people purposely sold me this car knowing I had no knowledge and was gullible.. I鈥檓 disgusted.. bye
My 2016 Cruz has been nothing but trouble!! Purchased it at "Porter Chevrolet" Newark Delaware. Traded my Chevy Colbolt in because it wouldn't pass inspection( Engine light on for months) long story short, dealership sold me another lemon with an " ORANGE ENGINE LIGHT THAT REFUSES TO GO OUT" Mechanic has replaced thermostat and a long list of other expensive repairs.......and guess what? Engine light still on and still not inspected!! He did offer up good advice....The Chevy Cruz is a (POS!!) OH, btw...driving it yesterday and temp went up again!! Overheating, smoke under hood,bells and whistles stranded an hour from home. I almost forgot, did I mention " Stabiltrak and traction control have joined the party" my dashboard looks like a Christmas tree with all the pretty lights lit up馃巹but there's more....recieved a call a month ago about purchasing an EXTENDED WARRANTY馃槵馃ぃ needless to say....i was hung up on馃槣 Will never buy another Chevy product again!!! unless they make the 68 Camaro again....and that's not happening馃檵

Registered
it's a love/hate relationship. personally, as long as the transmission/compression on the motor stay strong, I'll keep the cruze. the parts are inexpensive and a lot of room in the engine bay.

I feel I can replace/repair almost anything fairly easy with basic tools in my driveway. just need a good E socket set.

Registered
2012 Cruze Eco 6 Speed
eww lol. the secret to the pcv system and a good running cruze is using a good fuel system cleaner every oil change.
I have the amsoil Pi I use it every now and then. Says to run it every 4000 miles but I use it more often then that. Been running v-power for awhile now I can tell a difference for shur in the power of the car

Registered
I guess it鈥檚 all luck what u get when u buy a used car , I bought for my 16 year daughter which she loves it , small i issues I guess it鈥檚 okay , I replaced so far turbocharged line , this weekend I鈥檓 going to replace transmission cooler fluid line which is easy , and probably water pump cus I can see the coolant drops around it , so I鈥檓 assuming the seal is going bad so since I鈥檓 going to open mine as well put new pump and don鈥檛 have to worry , and I think dealer replaced thermostat and cover valve gasket 2 weeks before I bough the car .

Premium Member
I guess it鈥檚 all luck what u get when u buy a used car , I bought for my 16 year daughter which she loves it , small i issues I guess it鈥檚 okay , I replaced so far turbocharged line , this weekend I鈥檓 going to replace transmission cooler fluid line which is easy , and probably water pump cus I can see the coolant drops around it , so I鈥檓 assuming the seal is going bad so since I鈥檓 going to open mine as well put new pump and don鈥檛 have to worry , and I think dealer replaced thermostat and cover valve gasket 2 weeks before I bough the car .
It's not luck. It's, get the car thoroughly inspected by a third party that you trust before you buy it. That won't give you a crystal ball but it can save you some immediate grief shortly after purchasing. ;)

Registered
It's not luck. It's, get the car thoroughly inspected by a third party that you trust before you buy it. That won't give you a crystal ball but it can save you some immediate grief shortly after purchasing. ;)
I guess ur right , well I did a phone call to Chevy dealer and guess what , my daughters Chevy it鈥檚 under recall or extended warranty till 150 k miles for water pump leak , so I made appointment and they will diagnose Saturday and if it needs to be fixed or replaced free of charge

Premium Member
I guess ur right , well I did a phone call to Chevy dealer and guess what , my daughters Chevy it鈥檚 under recall or extended warranty till 150 k miles for water pump leak , so I made appointment and they will diagnose Saturday and if it needs to be fixed or replaced free of charge
That's good

Registered
So this is shady but here's what you do...get it running 'fine' without any lights/issues ...then sell it to some sucker! Buy a new one. I have a 2013 with this on-going issue with overheating. After $950 of new oil cooler, gaskets, reservoir etc...yeah I just bought an AC Delco thermostat + housing kit...waiting for that to come in. If this doesn't work, I'm going to add full coverage on this POS, and it might have an unfortunate accident with a tree

1 - 20 of 23 Posts