Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everybody,

Last October I purchased a 2012 Cruze Eco (Auto) from a GM Dealer (Dealer 1) near where my family lives. In August 2013, a crack in the engine block between cylinders 1 and 2 opened up which resulted in coolant leaking from the motor and eventually overheated the motor. Luckily I did not damage any components, there was enough coolant leftover to prevent any immediate damage (I drove it for about a week constantly monitoring the coolant level). Either way, a different GM Dealer (Dealer 2) replaced the engine (complete long block with turbo). I went to Dealer 2 because I am in a different state for work. After the motor was replaced, I had intermittent starting issues for about 2000 miles. I did bring it back to Dealer 2, where they couldnt "find" anything wrong. Last weekend I returned to visit my family as well as have Dealer 1 check the work performed by Dealer 2. When I went to start my car to drop off the Cruze at Dealer 1, the car would not start at all, in none of the gears. I have the procedure all on video tape too. Luckily, GM has free towing under their warranty. Dealer 1 discovered that Dealer 2 had forgot to properly use all the hardware and torque the solenoid leads to my starter. I was missing one nut off one of the leads and the locking washers (according to the Service Center at Dealer 1). So effectively, I had to go to a GM service center 3 times to "solve" a problem due to a manufacturer defect.

My main question is... Is the labor/workmanship at Dealer 2 covered by GM or Dealer 2?

My logic is that since work was performed under GM's warranty by Dealer 2, they are required to meet or exceed the minimum workmanship quality requirements from the factory. Missing hardware is not acceptable for drive train components from the factory and it should not be acceptable from any service center performing work.

If anyone could give me some pointers I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Recommend that you immediately contact one of the Chevy Customer Assistance Representatives (Erica or Tiffany) here to get GM involved.

·
Administrator
25,080 Posts
I second 70AARCUDA's recommendation. Since the repair done under warranty any corrective action should also be under warranty, but definitely get GM involved. Inter-dealership issues like this need to be raised to GM immediately.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Dealer 2 performed a warranty repair and released the car in a 'not completed condition'

Dealer 1 located the incorrectly completed areas of repair.
In both instances, the vehicle was under warranty.

Dealer 1 would warranty (with documentation) the repair and direct the expense to Chevrolet.
At that point, Chevrolet determines if dealer 2 gets a spanking but the odds are it will simply go down as a standard warranty claim, a cost of doing business from Chevy's point of view.

You should have no expenses and if you did, a letter with copies of each repair order, forwarded to Chevrolet, will get you a check in the amount you spent to correct the oversight.

Rob

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi chevy1616,

I sent you a private message requesting some information from you. I would like to look into this and see if there is anything that I can do to assist you. Please send me your SR#.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Wow, dealer 2 completely replaced your long block, a major job, by the way. Apparently used your old starter motor, left off a lock washer and a nut. An obivous problem as you well know, intermittent starting and no starting.

But can only wonder now about the rest of the work, all those connectors and fuel and coolant lines, motor mounts, and the transaxle falling off. The AC lines in particular if not properly supported will develop cracks.

Sorry, just giving you more to be concerned about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yep I know, bad quality control overall. One way to feel better would to get a parts list down to the washer and count every single piece that went back onto my car. It could be as simple as 2 forgotten nuts but it could be more serious like the bolts which connect to the flex plate or torque converter. Issues like that could show up after the warranty is up... It's unknown until I get a parts list with a check sheet with every part accounted for on my car again.

Luck of the draw I suppose, this is the first car I ever bought on my own too... I guess it helps to be an engineer to understand the process involved and the odds of this whole debacle happening. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a response from GM, basically they're covering the cost of multi point inspections and double checking bolt torques next oil change. Really happy with how this turned out, most likely won't go back to dealer 2 though.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Have seven Chevy dealers within a 15 mile radius of my home, the smaller the dealer, the better the work has been my history. And a heck of a lot friendlier. Nearest Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Nissan dealers are 45 miles away. And don't have to go to a dark alley in Chicago to get robbed.

As far as I am concerned, can take all these Asian cars and ship them back to wherever they came from. So why am I keeping my 88 Supra? First off was designed by American and Italian engineers, second, the internet. Where my Toyota dealer wanted 450 bucks for a new fuel pump, got the same one off the net for less than a hundred bucks. And I do all the work myself.

Least with all these Chevy dealers around, have a good competitive choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why does it matter where they came from? All dealers charge higher than small shops. $70-$90/hour is typical for any dealer (not sure about Canada).

Dealer parts are guaranteed to meet certain quality specifications hence the high price. 90% of the time you're fine with refurbished or aftermarket though. But would you put in a water pump gasket that's 50% the factory price? I know I wouldn't especially after having multiple pump gaskets fail on me.

Working in the nuke and aerospace fields really emphasizes the need for quality standards. No one wants a jet turbine made in China using incorrect metals for certain parts. Free market isn't generally the best option for services in some situations like a motor swap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts