Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost every time my 2014 Cruze or my 2010 Malibu go into a dealer or shop for work that involves the tires they come out with problems. The most common error is that they don't relearn the TPMS sensors so the DIC display for front left tire is really indicating back rear or something. This weekend, instead of going to the dealer, I tried a seemingly well liked, busy tire shop to have my winter tries removed and the Fuel Max tires put back on. When we picked the car up, all 4 tires were 6-8 PSI low, TPMS light on and I have to assume they didn't relearn the sensors. So I had them rework it.

I tried to make small talk with the front desk guy and asked if there were differing opinions on where to get tire pressure guidelines from. I know some people experiment with different pressures and have a number that is a few PSI one way or the other from factory but for at least the least 20 years, the door jamb sticker is the official default pressure to use. Strangely, this place said they usually just aim for 32 PSI (on cars at least). So irritating. I tried politely suggesting that things are changing (have changed) in the tire world and a lot of vehicles will have higher PSIs in the future with more Low Rolling Resistance tires etc.

Personally, I think TPMS is great and in particular, GM's individual tire pressure readings are really great. But I have to believe that a LOT of people in the industry either resent TPMS or just ignore it altogether. I've also run into cars with TPMS warnings on rental cars etc. I don't understand how somebody gets in a car, moves it around (out of a service bay, out of the rental car cleaning bay etc), sees a warning light and does nothing about it.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I always have to remind Discount Tire to relearn my TPMS. What's worse is they can never find the TPMS learn option - I always have to do it. I've had places try to set my tires to 32 PSI so I always tell them the PSI I want the tires set to.

Really bad when you get your car back from service and the Tire Low warning is showing on the DIC.

·
2,170 Posts
Same, I always ended up in a wal-mart parking lot somewhere with my portable air compressor re-programming the TPMS for my Cobalt after each trip to Discount Tire. Car horn honking, blinkers flashing, compressor running, it's quite a show. But as far as I've noticed they do everything else properly so it's just a small inconvenience.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I think the real problem is the GM system, inasmuch as it has to go through a relearn proceedure that requires one more step is the stumbling block.
That being the use of a tool to force the relearn.
Add to this, for the most part, each GM vehicle has a different routine the serviceman must go through to begin the process.

This is a real problem for a independent tire store......they deal with all brands and are geared to get it done in a hurry.......
So first, as a repairman, you have to remember that there is one more step after the car is back on the floor.......if you remember the step, then you have to locate the relearn tool (who used it last?)......then you have to figure out how to get the vehicle in relearn mode......then, finally, go through the process.

When a GM dealer overlooks the process, it likely is the result of rushing......the service writer is breathing down the mechanics back because others are waiting.

But, IMO, it is a pain in the tail system......all others are capable of relearning on their own, within 1 mile of driving .....that is because they use three or four transcievers located near the wheel as opposed the one centralized transciever GM still uses.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
I have never had TPMS and I am glad to do without them. Checking at the pump once a month and a quick visual check before driving away has kept me out of trouble for a very long time.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to get other perspectives on it. I hope they (GM) can find a way to preserve the individual tire readings (great feature) but simplify and unify the process across models.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,903 Posts
My set I bought (Genuine GM part, off ebay) for the MSRs have never worked at all. They used the big tool at the dealer and I think one of them worked.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
cruze is my first car with TPMS

i wouldve not optioned it, if that were a choice.

i wouldve lived with pulling a light bulb out of the dash to get rid of the MIL, but the DIC warning is a pita, so i bought the relearn tool.

since having TPMS for the ~2yrs, if i could put it on my older vehicles for <$100, i would.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I have never had TPMS and I am glad to do without them. Checking at the pump once a month and a quick visual check before driving away has kept me out of trouble for a very long time.
Couldn't agree with you more Aussie! I've always felt the TPMS was a waste of money and an aggravation on top of it. My 06 Legacy GT wagon was the first car I've had that had one and I can't even remember if it ever lit up. I know on the Cruze I've probably looked at the pressure 10 times the most in 86,000 miles and I never bothered to put sensors in the steelies with my winter tires. My sister-in-law has a 09 Accent with 35,000 miles and the TPMS light has been on for over 2 years and my son has a 08 Versa whose light has also been on for 3-4 year now and I've told them both not to waste $1 getting them replaced. As Aussie said, a good eye and weekly/monthly check with a tire gauge should keep you rolling right along.
FWIW, I think 98% of tire shops use 32-34 psi as normal pressure because "that's what they do"!

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I used to think that way when I never had a TPMS. Once you actually have the TPMS give you warning ahead of time, giving you the time to add some air or find a tire shop you see how nice it is. Sure you can still have a catastrophic failure, typically though I've walked out in the AM and found the car had a slow leak for a week and I'm now dealing with a flat & probably late to be somewhere.

This winter I had a tire develop a slow leak when it was -10F(-23C), was sure glad to get a warning when I was 200 miles from home, would have really sucked to change a flat in that weather.

·
Super Moderator
5,170 Posts
I remember my 2002 Alero(Oldsmobile if you remember them). It had a real "crude" version of TPMS. It would not tell you which tire was low but flash low tire pressure. This happened every time you rotated the tires. Regardless of the actual tire pressure. Supposedly it did this based on the relative positioning of the car not the tire pressure. All I know is you hit the relearn button and it would go out. Seemed to work as I checked my pressure regularly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I like being able to see the actual pressures. My wife's odyssey just has a "something somewhere is wrong with the tire pressure" light like the Alero mentioned above. Complete waste, except that my wife does tell me if it comes on. It's pretty sensitive though, so if the tires are supposed to be at 35, it will be on if one of the tires is at say 32 or below.

Reactions: BowtieGuy

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I used to think that way when I never had a TPMS. Once you actually have the TPMS give you warning ahead of time, giving you the time to add some air or find a tire shop you see how nice it is.
This. I walked out to my car one morning to go to work and the light came on. A little checking showed that 1) it was reporting the wrong tire and 2) I did have a problem. Made a direct line to my local tire place. I had somehow picked up a nail. They patched the tire and threw in the relearn as a freebie. I'm happy with both the TPMS and my tire place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts