Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2014 cruze "new" from the dealership on 3/27/15 with 3000 miles. I asked them how the car is new with those miles and they said it was never owned by anyone and that it's still considered new. I asked them about the manufacturer's warranty and they said they would adjust the 3yr b2b and 5yr powertrain warranty. They adjusted the mileage to 39k and 103k, but the time started ticking down 10/07/14, when the dealer put it into service , 5 months before I bought the vehicle. On my contract it states delivery date 3/27/15, delivery miles 3,000. 3 years 39k miles b2b and 5 years 103k power train. Cam cover gasket was leaking and brought it in to get replaced. Powertrain is suppose to be good till 3/27/2020. Service tech told me it was leaking and was covered under powertrain, I authorized the repair and had to wait 2 weeks for the valve cover assembly. It was done yesterday and I picked up the vehicle and signed paperwork and said warranty $0. Today I get called from the dealership saying my warranty was expired and I owe them $400 after they had my car for 2 weeks and didn't have a loaner available. They said my warranty expired 10/7/19 on powertrain and demanding money.
20191120_135023.jpg
Screenshot_20191120-135520.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They extended my mileage on the warranty but not the time even though in my contract it states 5 years 103k miles I was only given 4 years 7 months and 103k miles. Now the dealership says I have an extended warranty and want to use that to cover the repair but say I owe them a $200 deductible plus taxes and some fee... this is bullshit
20191120_124117.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just on a group call with gm customer care and the dealership and the service manager/customer relations manager is telling us the tech guy made some mistakes and assumed it was covered and yadda yadda and acts like I owe them money and still want me to pay for it lol. This dealership where I bought the car won't own up to their own mistakes or make right that they didn't uphold the contract of 5 yrs on the manufacturer's warranty

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is my next step because the dealership is being aggressive and saying I have to pay $400 for the repair or $200+ on deductible if I want to use my extended warranty. They haven't given me an option not to pay anything and own up to their mistakes. Gm customer care is on my side and told them they should honor the agreement that I was told it was covered under warranty and already picked up the vehicle and that as a new car owner should have received the full manufacturer's warranty and was deceived

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
Next step is a lawyer or your state's department of consumer affairs, which is usually part of the state's Attorney General's office. GM warranties start when the first non-dealership owner purchases the car, not when the dealership puts it into service.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next step is a lawyer or your state's department of consumer affairs, which is usually part of the state's Attorney General's office. GM warranties start when the first non-dealership owner purchases the car, not when the dealership puts it into service.
Are you sure? Then why did my warranty activate when it was never purchased by a non dealer?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I brought up consumer rights and that I'm entitled to the full term of the manufacturer's warranty on a new car purchase to gm and they told me I'm right and to speak with the financing department at the dealership. I said the same to them and was told they are looking into it and will bring this to the general manager to make a decision. It's kinda weird cause looking up the history of the vehicle it doesn't show anything about being used as a service or demo vehicle or anything prior to me purchasing it other then when it was delivered to the dealership

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
Are you sure? Then why did my warranty activate when it was never purchased by a non dealer?
Because the selling dealership entered the date they received the vehicle and not the date they sold it.

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
So I brought up consumer rights and that I'm entitled to the full term of the manufacturer's warranty on a new car purchase to gm and they told me I'm right and to speak with the financing department at the dealership. I said the same to them and was told they are looking into it and will bring this to the general manager to make a decision. It's kinda weird cause looking up the history of the vehicle it doesn't show anything about being used as a service or demo vehicle or anything prior to me purchasing it other then when it was delivered to the dealership
Don't hold your breath. You have a few viable options

• Get the local media involved in asking why they won't honor the warranty clock that starts when you buy a new car
  • Hire a lawyer
  • Get your State's attorneys involved under the State's consumer protection laws

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
I was cheated out of 10,000 miles with a Service Contract on a Dodge Colt. The Dealership upon my request gave me a 'House Warranty'. I asked the G.M. if he would put it in writing, he did!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Did you do a carfax to see if the car was actually sold or whatever. It may have been bought and traded in for something else.

3/36,000 + 3,000 would technically put you at 3/18 timewise assuming you didn't exceed the 36,000 before your 36 months. Which would put you under the extended warranty. Or whatever that car has since there seems to be so many different warranties on that thing.

I can't really see GM starting warranty at 3,000 miles. Instead of 0 miles or a few hundred. Technically speaking.

The first place to call is the motor vehicle division. They will tell you who to call at the motor vehicle enforcement. Who is in charge of the dealers. The motor vehicle enforcement will give you guidance.
Assuming the rest of you all have a enforcement division. My state does.

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
Did you do a carfax to see if the car was actually sold or whatever. It may have been bought and traded in for something else.
In this case the car couldn't be sold as "new".

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
In this case the car couldn't be sold as "new".
I don't see how a car can be considered new with 3,000 miles.

We all know how dealers like to sham.

Either way. His 36 months he posted expired 20 months ago.

You buy a new tv on display. It's not sold as new. It's sold as open box. Be tough to sell it as new.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts

You buy a new tv on display. It's not sold as new. It's sold as open box. Be tough to sell it as new.
The 2014 was sold with a 5 Year Powertain Warranty for what its worth. I tried to look up the Vin & it doesn't show up?
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
Every vehicle has a unique VIN. Enter a VIN to learn if a specific vehicle needs to be repaired as part of a recall.
Enter 17 character VIN

1G1PC57B7E7474651

An error occurred with your request. General Motors LLC does not recognize your VIN. Please contact General Motors LLC by email at [email protected] for recall information about your vehicle.

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts

Based on the image of the service order sheet, it's covered by the powertrain warranty.

States have varying laws on when a car used by a dealership can no longer be sold as new. Some states are as low as 500 miles. If the original title transfer paperwork shows "new" then the warranties start on the date and mileage of the sale, not the date the dealership put the car into internal service.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 2014 was sold with a 5 Year Powertain Warranty for what its worth. I tried to look up the Vin & it doesn't show up?
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
Every vehicle has a unique VIN. Enter a VIN to learn if a specific vehicle needs to be repaired as part of a recall.
Enter 17 character VIN

1G1PC57B7E7474651

An error occurred with your request. General Motors LLC does not recognize your VIN. Please contact General Motors LLC by email at [email protected] for recall information about your vehicle.
The Vin on the paper work is 1G1PC5SB7E7474651 ...you just type it in wrong ? 1G1PC57B7E7474651

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Based on the image of the service order sheet, it's covered by the powertrain warranty.

States have varying laws on when a car used by a dealership can no longer be sold as new. Some states are as low as 500 miles. If the original title transfer paperwork shows "new" then the warranties start on the date and mileage of the sale, not the date the dealership put the car into internal service.
I was looking at the warranty booklet that came with the car, check this out
20191121_134615.jpg
20191121_134605.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Because a vehicle that has never been registered is considered "new"

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now I'm not entirely sure what "put in use" qualifies as, the booklet doesn't give a definition or any further info

1 - 20 of 74 Posts