Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my 2011 Chevy Cruz off at a body shop referred to me by my ins company after a minor accident. Due to an electrical issue (my key was locked in the ignition, my trunk wouldn’t open, and nothing my center console was working) the car was sent to the dealership. The dealership replaced my BCM and said the issue was fixed. When I dropped my car off the mileage was at 76k, when I picked it up it was at 113k.
The ins company said that the electrical issue cause the speed up of mileage, which was apparently at 112 when received by the dealership, and when the new one was programmed, it was programmed to match the “in” minleage.
My family is convinced that the anti fraud system prevents mistakes like this and I may be a victim of fraud. I should add that the body shop was extremely sketchy and I had numerous issue with them, including extending the time for my car to be fixed from a week to a month. I would call and check on my vehicle and the rep would say he has no idea what’s going on with my car- he would call me back. I had to call the ins company for updates.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
I dropped my 2011 Chevy Cruz off at a body shop referred to me by my ins company after a minor accident. Due to an electrical issue (my key was locked in the ignition, my trunk wouldn’t open, and nothing my center console was working) the car was sent to the dealership. The dealership replaced my BCM and said the issue was fixed. When I dropped my car off the mileage was at 76k, when I picked it up it was at 113k.
The ins company said that the electrical issue cause the speed up of mileage, which was apparently at 112 when received by the dealership, and when the new one was programmed, it was programmed to match the “in” minleage.
My family is convinced that the anti fraud system prevents mistakes like this and I may be a victim of fraud. I should add that the body shop was extremely sketchy and I had numerous issue with them, including extending the time for my car to be fixed from a week to a month. I would call and check on my vehicle and the rep would say he has no idea what’s going on with my car- he would call me back. I had to call the ins company for updates.
What evidence do you have to prove mileage should be 76K? Any recent service records, motor vehicle inspections, etc establishing mileage within a week or two of the accident?

You will need to gather evidence/proof first and foremost, otherwise it’s your word against theirs.

From a Google Search:
If you think you've been the victim of odometer fraud, you must contact your local law enforcement agency. For large scale investigations, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Office of Odometer Fraud Investigation can provide assistance. You may help an investigation by reporting a suspicious VIN to the NHTSA Office of Odometer Fraud Investigation at (202) 366-4761.The NHTSA Office of Odometer Fraud Investigation may help you with general inquiries about odometers and may be able to help you to determine if other legal or law enforcement authorities need to be contacted. Contacting your state motor vehicle department can also help you as each state law, on handling odometer fraud, will vary.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
If you have a paper that proves your case (insurance records maybe). Just show it to them and they can reprogram it back to you. If not, honestly you could probably make a call to the police and see what they have to say about it.

If you don't have any such documentation things may get a bit trickier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The paperwork from when I dropped of the vehicle and recent oil change, plus new breaks, all within the last 4 months, support that the mileage was at 76k when I dropped it off. The dealership wants to look at my car and possibly reprogram the odometer. I’ve been told that should contact a lawyer before anything else but I don’t want to blow a simple mistak out of proportion. I know nothing about cars- is this possibly a simple mos-programming or should I be seeking legal counsel?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was reading online that there is an anti theft monitoring system in the car the prevents the mileage from being misprogrammed, so it has to be a deliberate modification.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I was just experimenting with this very subject using my original BCM and one I obtained for testing. In fact, I think it was your very issue that prompted me to start my experiments!

According to the datasheet for the programming chip, when the BCM is connected to power supply the chip enters a locked state and can not be modified. The unit would have to be connected to ground to change anything that way. There is also a power-on reset protection feature that prevents accidental data writing after a reset of the chip.

It CAN be reprogrammed at a dealership or shop while in a vehicle using special equipment, but there they have to physically verify the original units mileage to program it into the new unit.

I can't say that it was a deliberate modification.. they could have accidentally pulled the mileage from the wrong vehicle.

I do have a recommendation: Contact Onstar support and see if they can pull for you any data records for your vehicle prior to the bcm replacement. I'm not certain if they actively document that stuff unless your account is active (even the free basic account is fine), but it might be your best way to get proof of an error.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
they could have accidentally pulled the mileage from the wrong vehicle.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

I fail to see what they would gain by jacking up your mileage so the malice angle isn't working for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts