Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze 1.4T with about 75,000 miles that I bought new. Last week it stalled out while I was at a stop light and I have to get it towed to the dealership. They found the camshaft to be frozen and wanted to tear down the engine to find out why. I agreed to it and it would be about $450 just for the teardown if it was not covered by warranty.

They got back to me a few days later and said they recommend a new engine and they wouldn't be able to cover it by warranty because the timing belt broke and the part that held it in also snapped in half. They said it looked like someone had hammered the timing belt in. They also found a hole in the oil pan that was welded over with a piece of metal.

I have had all of my work done on the car at Chevy dealerships. In February the waterpump was changed because it was leaking and covered under recall. The camshaft solenoid was also changed under warranty because it had shorted out.

Could these repairs have led to the problem that happened recently? What should my response be to the dealership i still owe on the car and the combination of the repair for the new engine and the remainder of the loan is not worth the value of the car.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Well, for starters, you have a timing chain, not belt.

You indicate you are the original owner......has this car ever been in a accident?

The oil pan is aluminum so the odds of someone successfully welding it are slim to none.

The repairs you mention would not be related to this failure.........Somethin fishy goin on here Lucy.

Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I was hit in a parking lot at low speeds probably less than 5 mph and had a dent in my passenger door and I had it repaired

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Call the 800 number in the back of your OM and open an incident with GM. Hopefully, you have all receipts and work orders from prior dealership work to show who worked on,and what was done to, your car. The timing chain and related parts should be covered under the power train warranty (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so the camshaft failure should be also. Something is rotten in Denmark, me thinks.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I think it would be wise to stop at the dealer and look at this 'damage'......bring someone mechanical along.

The described damage does not line up with the shop is telling you.

If there is any sign of physical damage to the engine, Chevrolet has little to no responsibility........

Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All of the work on the car has been done at Chevrolet, if there is any "damage" to the inside of the engine what could be blamed for the damage other then their repairs?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Chevrolet is a corporation.....they don't repair cars.

Are you saying all services have been performed by the same Chevrolet dealer, including the body work?

If all services were performed at the same facility, your response should be 'You are the only folks that have ever serviced the car'.....in which case, you might be able to get the story of what happened in this cars past that someone tried to cover up.

Beyond that,I have no suggestions.

Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are 3 Chevrolet dealerships in town and one did the body work, one did the last repair with the waterpump and camshaft solenoid. The dealership that did the body work has the car now.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
There are 3 Chevrolet dealerships in town and one did the body work, one did the last repair with the waterpump and camshaft solenoid. The dealership that did the body work has the car now.
Let the finger pointing begin! I think you are at the mercy of GM and will likely need an attorney to get this situation resolved. Again, get an incident report opened, quickly and collect ALL service documentation for this vehicle. Maybe Chevy Customer Service will show up here and assist. If not, PM them on their member id here.

Robby, are you saying this camshaft problem is not covered under the powertrain warranty?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I think it would be wise to stop at the dealer and look at this 'damage'......bring someone mechanical along.
YES! Given the "belt" and "welding" of an aluminum pan, I have to wonder if they've gotten you confused with another customer.

I'm sure that's never happened. :sarcasm:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
still owe on the car and the combination of the repair for the new engine and the remainder of the loan is not worth the value of the car.
irrelevant.

the repair + payments = x

how many miles will you get by paying x?

if less than another car, fix it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If the only people to lay a wrench to it since new have been dealership mechanics, all in the same town, and you have documents to prove it, I'd call bull on that. Sounds really fishy unless, honestly, you had no idea what was going on under the hood and legitimately abused it or kept going when something was obviously very wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
and you have documents to prove it, I'd call bull on that.
How do you prove a negative (that someone else DIDN'T work on the car)?

Yes, gather the paperwork, go see the car. This lies somewhere between mistaken identity and criminal coverup.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
i still owe on the car and the combination of the repair for the new engine and the remainder of the loan is not worth the value of the car.
Unless some kind insurance kicks in, you're not getting out from the remainder of the loan. You can walk away from the car, but you're not going to walk away from the debt that easily. Yeah, I know it makes no sense to pay for a car you can't use - but that's not how it works. The bank won't take the car and call it even.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Just get customer service involved, dealer will change their tune once big brother is also watching. As long as you have all maintenance records and all work was performed by GM dealers, would be very hard to deny a warranty claim.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts