Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was told the reason is that Dexos is a synthetic blend. This true? News to me.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
The AC Delco Dexos 1 oil is a synthetic blend. The price of an oil change will depend on your dealership. Ed Bozarth Park Meadows charges me $39 for an oil change.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Mine are free for the life of my vehicle .. Dealer offer at signing ..

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Regular price in the USA for the dexos synthetic blend change is over $50, however most dealerships have long standing sale prices. My dealer in 1.5years has always charged $29 for the Dexos change.

My brother who lives 50 miles from me & bought his car at a different dealer gets charged over $50 for the dexos change, its almost that much at the local oil change place too.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
In all of the years of owning a vehicle with the chore of changing the oil and filter .
These last 3 have been a dream come true . although changing the oil and filter are basically an easy task , I do not miss it . $50.00 would be money well spent .

·
Registered
334 Posts
In all of the years of owning a vehicle with the chore of changing the oil and filter .
These last 3 have been a dream come true . although changing the oil and filter are basically an easy task , I do not miss it . $50.00 would be money well spent .
I agree

I have always changed my own oil. However, this is my first brand new car and I let the dealership do it to keep the warranty covered. It's $50 here too, but I don't miss doing it myself.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
.....and mine remain at < $25 AR for full synthetic as I still DIY.
Same here. The Cruze is one of the easiest cars I've owned to do the oil and filter change.

·
Registered
334 Posts
What is the recommended mileage to change the oil on the Cruze? I still do it every 3k religiously, but I've heard other say 5k and 7k are acceptable.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
What is the recommended mileage to change the oil on the Cruze? I still do it every 3k religiously, but I've heard other say 5k and 7k are acceptable.
For the 1.4T it depends if you are using semi synthetic or full synthetic. Probably 3-4 k on Semi Synthetic, 6-7 k on Full Synthetic. Others on this site have done oil analysis - try searching for the results.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
When we bought my car we bought a booklet where we paid ahead ~10-15 per oil change, every 5K for 75,000 miles. So we payed up front for a discount, and now all I need to do is drive my car up to the dealer and leave the next waiver from the booklet on the dash and I'm set.

·
10,711 Posts
Cost me $45 total including the price of the M1 Extended I left in the car. All I could find was Fram filters so I let them charge me 6 for the oem one. They wrote M1 on the service reciept but marked 3k miles till the next oil change. No tire rotation was done, thats going to be real soon.

·
Administrator
15,849 Posts
I don't trust anyone to change my oil. Sounds like an elementary task but you'd be surprised how many people screw it up. Oil change "techs" are often bottom of the barrel high school kids. I've seen drain plugs from stripped as he11 tight to finger-tight. Last time I asked such a place to rotate my tires, they stripped a stud and I had to hammer it out and put a new one in for him on the spot. Last I checked I didn't work there and I was paying THEM.

We had our engine shields hacked up because oil change techs were too sloppy and spilled oil everywhere. Some people can't even read (or don't care about) the torque spec printed clearly on both plug and filter cap, and that cap isn't that hard to break once you over-tighten it.

I'm not afraid to get one hand greasy to make sure the job gets done right. I'll never be above that no matter what my salary is. To top it off, I do it cheaper, with better oil, and a better filter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
The thing about all of this we practically have to go out and buy new tools .
Is the drain plug a T 45 ? The oil filter cap 7/8 ths or 15/16ths
And do not forget . we recycle the used oil ..

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Every 5,000 miles, along with tire rotation and balancing. The semi-synthetic appears to be good down to about 40% on the oil life meter and full synthetics down to 25% or so. Since the full synthetic change is twice what I pay for the semi-synthetic AC Delco blend that GM uses I use the semi-synthetic oil. Full synthetic won't take me twice as far between oil changes so it's not cost effective. It also helps to remember the tire rotation/balancing to do them together.

Now if the oil change places would stop putting that stupid sticker in my windshield to remind me to come in in 3,000 miles.

·
Administrator
15,849 Posts
The thing about all of this we practically have to go out and buy new tools .
Is the drain plug a T 45 ? The oil filter cap 7/8 ths or 15/16ths
And do not forget . we recycle the used oil ..
Drain plug is a standard metric socket. I don't remember exactly but I think either 10, 12, or 15mm. Anyone should have those and a torque wrench.

The cap, I don't remember, but the cost of the socket and oil and oil pan and oil jug if you buy I all separately still comes out to less than $50. You'll break even on your first oil change.

I have a open oil pan now with a spout at one end, and three 3-gallon oil jugs that I fill up and take away at the same time. Shortens the number of trips I need and leaves the mess out of the job.

I use Wix filters and full synthetic oil. I will be using exclusively Amsoil moving forward.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.