·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: Barefeet

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
The BMW 3 series is selling like hotcakes. HEY GM, WANNA KNOW WHY? BMW actually MARKETS the 3 series!!

I have never owned a BMW but I even got a mailer about their new diesels and see ads everywhere. No wonder. I would also bet that all the BMW dealers know there is a diesel 3/5 series. Several people on here have posted (even recently) that service/sales at Chevy dealerships don't even know the car (CTD) exists.

Reactions: Gator

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was one of those 495 in December. Squeaked it in on the 30th.

Manufacturers might just assume that anyone interested in a small diesel in the US already knows they want a small diesel and will actively seek it out. I've never seen an ad for one from any company. I had to spend a decent amount of time researching who makes what in the US.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
500 in a month and how many Chevy dealers are there??? If that is all they sold why is everyone saying they are having such a hard time finding one since dealers can't keep them in stock? I have said it before, but my dealer always has at least 5 on the lot. I think the reality of a $6000 upcharge for the diesel is starting to settle in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
500 in a month and how many Chevy dealers are there??? If that is all they sold why is everyone saying they are having such a hard time finding one since dealers can't keep them in stock? I have said it before, but my dealer always has at least 5 on the lot. I think the reality of a $6000 upcharge for the diesel is starting to settle in.
It's only $1000 more than the LTZ and as far as I can tell they're comparable feature wise and the diesel has a lot more power behind it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Again, $6000 more from what?? A base 1LT??

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I think the TDI is well established and already has a cult following plus word of mouth. It's been around since what, '96? This is a brand new model that I think people would buy if they knew about it.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
An LTZ is over $6000 more than a base LS 6M.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
VW TDI = "...leader of the pack..."

CTD Cruze = "...new kid on the block..."

Regarding co$t difference? Remember, it takes MONEY to ship:

(A) a completed diesel engine from Rüsselsheim, Germany, and...
(B) a completed Aisin-Warner transmission from Anjo City, Japan...

...across oceans to Lordstown, OH, unlike gasoline engines coming from Flint, MI, and tranys coming from SLP Mexico / TTO Toledo, OH.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The car only has about a 50% domestic part content anyway so I'm sure shipping costs are already substantial.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Again, $6000 more from what?? A base 1LT??
It's a fair comparison as GM has offered the diesel in only one trim level... LOADED.

Look at the sales % of the LTZ vs. LT trims. I see no reason to think the diesel wouldn't follow a similar trend if it was offered in two similar trim levels. Many people could care less about heated leather seats and some actually prefer cloth to leather, yet there are no choices with the Cruze TD. You can have it any way you want it, as long as it's loaded.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Guy at work asked me if something was wrong with my car because it sounds like a diesel, guy at the pump in a TDI was surprised that Chevy had a diesel, guy in a Ram next to me in the parking lot asked me about it and had no idea Chevy made a diesel, and the stories could keep coming from all of us. Chevy has the worst audio but advertising comes in a close second, remember the quad steer?

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
...remember the quad steer?
The what? :)

Yeah... such a technical marvel, but overpriced and WAY under-advertised (kinda sounds familiar). Got great reviews at the time, too. I'm sure the development team at GM was just shaking their heads...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrasteer

"It is costly, adding as much as $5,600 initially (later reduced to about $2,000 and then $1,000 to boost acceptance) to the price of the vehicle."

No lessons learned from that one I guess...

Now Porsche is using a similar system on the GT3.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's a fair comparison as GM has offered the diesel in only one trim level... LOADED.

Look at the sales % of the LTZ vs. LT trims. I see no reason to think the diesel wouldn't follow a similar trend if it was offered in two similar trim levels. Many people could care less about heated leather seats and some actually prefer cloth to leather, yet there are no choices with the Cruze TD. You can have it any way you want it, as long as it's loaded.
I would have MUCH preferred cloth seats over leather. My 07 G6 has cloth seats and they still look brand new. I'm not sure that will be the case for the Cruze, although I do plan to keep them conditioned regularly.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Global GM's "...take it or leave it..." marketing plan in action (or is it in-action?)

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts