Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wracked with indecision and just wondering what other Cruze owners think.

My 2012 LT has 57,000 miles on it, is in pretty good shape and runs okay. The only possible mechanical issue is the (in)famous disappearing coolant: It's always about 1/2" below the full cold mark even though I add some every couple thousand miles. I own it free & clear. It seems like a good time to trade, and the local dealers still have a decent selection of LT sedans with Convenience Package. Yet I see the '19 will include rear cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring as part of their Convenience package, plus the ability to switch off the auto start/stop feature -- all very attractive features.

Some people say you shouldn't buy the last of the model year because you're paying for a brand new car that's already one-year-old. The way I look at it, I'm benefiting from the end of year incentives AND the car will always have low mileage (assuming that I drive it just 10,000 miles/year, as I did with my present one). So it's six of one, half a dozen of the other, no?

Thoughts, anyone? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,405 Posts
Depends on what options you want.

We have a running thread describing things that have illogically been removed for the 2019 refresh, and it's quite a lot of things.

If you like leather, you'll need to get an '18, as the '19 only allows you to pay the same upcharge for leatherette. They've removed the option of an 8" screen (7" across the board, though they all have the new infotainment software, so at least you're not saddled with the in-between gen infotainment the '16-18 with 7" screens have), color DIC menu, rear heated seats, etc.

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-general-discussion/237423-2019-lost-features.html

Reactions: OldWhiteChevy

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,282 Posts
Wait one year and buy the 2019 at end of year clearances prices and pay the dealer $1000.00 to have an aftermarket company re-skin your seats in leather - with a choice of colors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you can do without the items being removed for the 2019's, it is well worth waiting for the 2019 clear out prices at the end of next year, just to get the ability to turn off the Auto Stop feature and not have to live with that frustration, and the repair costs once that system starts to break down in a few years. Unfortunately I am stuck with it for the rest of the years that I own the car. I am not aware of GM offering to reprogram the computer to elimenate it.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,317 Posts
I'd pick up an 18 in November. They offered huge discounts on my end-of-year 16. Plus there are some nicer features in the 18 Premier, if that's what you're going for...the 19 is being decontented a bit.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,405 Posts
and the repair costs once that system starts to break down in a few years.
Good thing it won't!

Anyway, this thread is not the place for that. We've had plenty of other threads for people to whine about stop-start.

It's still puzzling the level they've decontented the car on a refresh. Normally that's not how to get more sales - unless, of course, you're trying to do the opposite...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll be buying as soon as the 2019 models come out. The LT and Primier will have a auto stop disable switch. That's a great feature. However, saving thousands off a 2018 is very enticing. I'm weighing the 2019 LS with the $1000 convenience package (cruise, steering wheel controls, aluminum 16 wheels, remote start) vs a deep discounted 2018 model.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
The 19s started rolling out in August.

The new year always rolls out in August.

Somebody from AZ posted a dealer with some darn good deals a few months back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, everybody. I hadn't realize they had decontented that much. The leather/ette is no big deal; I'm aiming more for an LT with Convenience Pkg anyway. But leaving off the Express-Up driver window. rear reading lights and passenger seatback map pocket seems awfully cheap.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I’ll wait...

I’ve been reading the posts about auto stop/start problems on the Service Issues forum. It sounds like there are a lot of problems with this system. And the fact that GM is putting a defeat switch on the ‘19s sort of confirms that. So the heck with the decontenting, I should probably either go with a ‘19 or one of the few remaining vehicles that doesn’t have auto stop. Either that or just keep my ‘12 going for a good long time!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
How about a link please. I'd like to see the service issue forum.

And just because it don't have a button don't mean it still can't be turned off.

Some of us drive around in L gear in the summer. D gear when it's below 41 degrees.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,317 Posts
I’ve been reading the posts about auto stop/start problems on the Service Issues forum. It sounds like there are a lot of problems with this system. And the fact that GM is putting a defeat switch on the ‘19s sort of confirms that. So the heck with the decontenting, I should probably either go with a ‘19 or one of the few remaining vehicles that doesn’t have auto stop. Either that or just keep my ‘12 going for a good long time!
It has not really been an issue for these models. People just don't like it and complain about its existence.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How about a link please. I'd like to see the service issue forum.

And just because it don't have a button don't mean it still can't be turned off.

Some of us drive around in L gear in the summer. D gear when it's below 41 degrees.
Sorry about that, I wasn't thinking:
https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/369-gen2-service-issues/197786-auto-start-stop-restart-failure.html

True, I suppose just putting it in L and clicking up to L5 or L6 isn't really that much more of an inconvenience than pressing a switch to deactivate it each time. I haven't yet driven a current generation Cruze, so maybe I'm overthinking this. I keep trying to picture stop and go traffic, or approaching my garage door -- waiting for the door to go up and having the engine stop and then restart, just to get into the garage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts