Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is probably a stupid question but when you buy def at the pump does the pump fit down into the neck of our tank?:question:

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
If you buy a 2.5 gallon jug from gm, you can fill the empty bottle so you don't have to go out of your way to find a def pump. Felt like throwing that out there

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Believe it or not I tried to buy DEF at the pump once and it had the over-sized diesel truck nozzle on it. It wouldn't fit! I never saw another one like it before, they were all smaller like shown.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I'd say some one drove off with the nozzle still in the tank and the truck stop replaced it with a standard diesel nozzle which at that point its totally useless. Semis have the same nozzle opening as the cars and its magnetic. The only semi that has a large opening is a earlier Volvo and the truck stop has a mag adaptor at the fuel desk

·
Registered
666 Posts
do our tanks in the car have the magnet inside to allow this to work I know the semis do thought id ask

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I would say yes because if you fill a jug you would need to get the magnetic jug adaptor on eBay for the pump to work. I think the magnet is encased in the wide part if the neck

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Found this and thought is was interesting.

[h=2]What is the shelf life of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)?[/h] Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) has a shelf life of two years. However, this can be reduced if the fluid is exposed to direct sunlight or if the temperature of the DEF remains above 86°F (30°C) for sustained periods. All DEF packaging should be labeled with an expiry date. If you have DEF that it beyond its expiry date, contact the supplier for advice, or dilute it with water in a ratio of 1:10 and use it on your lawn!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
The low shelf life is the reason I would never buy a jug of packaged DEF. Just keep the tank full by finding local stores with it at the pump. It's not like you can't go 7500+ miles between top offs.
I don't plan on adding any DEF to my tank until it tells me. Going to see how long that will take. Depending on my driving, it might be a couple months and I want to keep fresh DEF in there if possible. My driving style I feel doesn't warrant topping it off every oil change.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I never checked to see if the DEF I use has an expiration date printed on it. I will have to do that next time I buy some.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts