Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Diesel Brethren:

DEF is a part of our modern day diesel life. However refilling our trunk-mounted tank is somewhat awkward. When spilled, DEF dries to a nasty white crystalline compound. Get it on your hands or paint and you'll be sorry that you did.

So here is the Tomko Method on how to do it best...

Go to your friendly neighbourhood Mercedes-Benz parts counter or online seller and request the following part.

Cable Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory Wire

It is called a filling hose, p/n 00 583 22 04, and I bought mine for $13.

Label Material property

This hose is equipped with a one way Kruse valve and connector. It attaches directly to the DEF spout beneath the carpet in our trunks. The other end of the hose connects to a 10 Litre Mercedes-Benz DEF container. I bought mine for $8, p/n 004 989 04 20 12.

Product Water Liquid Fluid Plastic

Text Technology Electronic device

Once attached this allows for a spill-proof transfer of fresh DEF into the car's DEF tank. It is fast, easy and above all clean. My car hit 7,300 miles today and I used this method to refill its DEF. It took nine litres.

This same filling hose can be attached to another source of DEF provided its cap has the same dimensions. For reference here's a close up of the M-B cap.

Cobalt blue Blue Lid Plastic Electric blue

Unfortunately it did not attach to the AC Delco DEF bottle I got from my dealer. But I simply refilled the M-B container with fresh supply from the AC Delco bottle and then hooked it back up to my Cruze.

I did this today, outside at a service station, at ten degrees below freezing. In spite of the conditions, and this being my first time, I only had two small drops of DEF to clean up.

This is the Tomko Method.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I think they might have the same parts at a V.W. dealer for a little less probably .. It's a good find anyway.. thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Don't tell GM you put NON GM adblue. in your car Oh no void warranty !!! Oh wait Oh no I used NON GM oil OMG my car is going to croak !!! wait I did not put GM air in my tires , Does this mean I am stressing my car ... Oh what have I done !!!!

Kinda reminds me of this :

Don't Get Scroogled! - Scroogled

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I actually have one of those filling hoses that I bought when I had my GLK250 but never used it.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
You know, I wonder if the DEF from the pumps at the truckstops will remain "fresh" enough to be suitable to use. At least what we buy at the parts store is sealed and you can be pretty sure. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
It should Diesel. I use about 3 gallons a day. The avg. underground storage at a truck stop is around 7000 gallons. A lot of big rigs are on DEF now. So those tanks turnover pretty quick

·
Registered
747 Posts
It should Diesel. I use about 3 gallons a day. The avg. underground storage at a truck stop is around 7000 gallons. A lot of big rigs are on DEF now. So those tanks turnover pretty quick
I have no worries the DEF at truck stops is fairly fresh, but do they really store 7,000 gallons of it? I guess that's possible, but wow.

BTW, regardless of whether you buy DEF from a pump or from a jug at Wal Mart, I think this thread deserves a sticky. It is very useful information for all of us diesel owners.

·
Registered
228 Posts
First of all, nice write up. I would also prefer buying my own bottle as opposed to the truck stop DEF. This thread deserves a sticky as I'm sure if GM continues production of the diesel for a few years there will be many more people helped out by this thread. I had to laugh at the OP though. Tomko method? People have been filling up def tanks with hoses and connectors like that for years.

Are that many of you over 24000 miles that you have to purchase def now? If you're not over 24k you're just throwing away money because the dealer should top it off for you for free

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Machine Technology Electronic device Scoreboard Games
Machine Technology Electronic device Scoreboard Games
this is the fuel I use a day. 3 gallons of DEF a day. So say 600 to 700 trucks a day stop and get DEF. That's around 2000 gallons a day. So turning over a 7000 gallon tank is easy

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Plus at 2.50 a gallon at truck stop versus the prefilled 2 gallon bottle at 9 dollars. Do the math. If you don't use the whole bottle it sits. The pump at the truck stop cuts off when full. 2.00 to fill yesterday. Done till next oil change.

·
Registered
228 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
First of all, nice write up. I would also prefer buying my own bottle as opposed to the truck stop DEF. This thread deserves a sticky as I'm sure if GM continues production of the diesel for a few years there will be many more people helped out by this thread. I had to laugh at the OP though. Tomko method? People have been filling up def tanks with hoses and connectors like that for years.

Are that many of you over 24000 miles that you have to purchase def now? If you're not over 24k you're just throwing away money because the dealer should top it off for you for free

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
To each their own, DEF, oil, and doing it right is so cheap I can't find a reason not to. I'll fill my own def rather then have a 10 dollar an hour oil jockey not tighten my drain plug enough, cross thread the filter housing, and/or piss in my trunk.

yeah, I'm anal retentive at times :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts