Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Diesel Brethren:

DEF is a part of our modern day diesel life. However refilling our trunk-mounted tank is somewhat awkward. When spilled, DEF dries to a nasty white crystalline compound. Get it on your hands or paint and you'll be sorry that you did.

So here is the Tomko Method on how to do it best...

Go to your friendly neighbourhood Mercedes-Benz parts counter or online seller and request the following part.

Cable Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory Wire

It is called a filling hose, p/n 00 583 22 04, and I bought mine for $13.

Label Material property

This hose is equipped with a one way Kruse valve and connector. It attaches directly to the DEF spout beneath the carpet in our trunks. The other end of the hose connects to a 10 Litre Mercedes-Benz DEF container. I bought mine for $8, p/n 004 989 04 20 12.

Product Water Liquid Fluid Plastic

Text Technology Electronic device

Once attached this allows for a spill-proof transfer of fresh DEF into the car's DEF tank. It is fast, easy and above all clean. My car hit 7,300 miles today and I used this method to refill its DEF. It took nine litres.

This same filling hose can be attached to another source of DEF provided its cap has the same dimensions. For reference here's a close up of the M-B cap.

Cobalt blue Blue Lid Plastic Electric blue

Unfortunately it did not attach to the AC Delco DEF bottle I got from my dealer. But I simply refilled the M-B container with fresh supply from the AC Delco bottle and then hooked it back up to my Cruze.

I did this today, outside at a service station, at ten degrees below freezing. In spite of the conditions, and this being my first time, I only had two small drops of DEF to clean up.

This is the Tomko Method.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
To each their own, DEF, oil, and doing it right is so cheap I can't find a reason not to. I'll fill my own def rather then have a 10 dollar an hour oil jockey not tighten my drain plug enough, cross thread the filter housing, and/or piss in my trunk.

yeah, I'm anal retentive at times :)
This is precisely why I became a car guy. I discovered that I had more time and inclination to do the work the way I wanted it done rather than blindly letting the guy who sat at the back of the class do the work for me.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
According to Chevy, we should only have to fill the def twice in the 24k mile free maintenance program. They say the tank lasts 10k miles but we are finding out that may not be the case

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Not sure what you're driving at?

My car took nine litres of DEF after 7,300 miles. On a 22.5 litre DEF tank that extrapolates to 15,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Not sure if its mentioned somewhere didnt read all pages... but GM also has a cap attached filling hose almost identical to the mercedes one shown above.
Part number?

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Here's a photo of it and the DEF that I have on my phone. View attachment 106545
Thanks for the photo. That's the AC Delco hose. It is very effective at pouring but has no safety consideration for splash, overfill and poor aim.

It is better than nothing. But not comparable to the M-B hose that seals onto the DEF jug AND the DEF spout on the car. No fuss, no muss and no spills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.