Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
View attachment 56073 View attachment 56073 this is the fuel I use a day. 3 gallons of DEF a day. So say 600 to 700 trucks a day stop and get DEF. That's around 2000 gallons a day. So turning over a 7000 gallon tank is easy
I miss food perks at A grocery store called giant eagle here, I used to fill up the big trucks and swipe my rewards cards and Id have 25% off my bill everytime I shopped up to $250 each visit. I wonder why they did away with that :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
To each their own, DEF, oil, and doing it right is so cheap I can't find a reason not to. I'll fill my own def rather then have a 10 dollar an hour oil jockey not tighten my drain plug enough, cross thread the filter housing, and/or piss in my trunk.

yeah, I'm anal retentive at times :)
I get it. Still doesn't change the fact that a quick stop at the dealer for some def is even cheaper than buying it yourself if you are still under the 2 year plan

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dealer will only put a gallon in they will not split a bottle. They say they topped it of I head to the pump and still get almost another gallon in.
Service tech at my dealer did the same thing. I wanted to get out of there so I didn't say anything. A free gallon of def is a free gallon of def... Whether it's $2.75 at a pump or $8 from a dealer

Did you call the dealer and complain?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Got 19000 only 1 more free change then its on me anyway.plus the dealer is 20 miles round trip. 2 dollars at the pump is better than a gallon of diesel then waiting for a tech to put it in. No self serve at stealership

·
Registered
152 Posts
To each their own, DEF, oil, and doing it right is so cheap I can't find a reason not to. I'll fill my own def rather then have a 10 dollar an hour oil jockey not tighten my drain plug enough, cross thread the filter housing, and/or piss in my trunk.

My thoughts exactly, piece of mind is priceless, and if some monkey starts screwing up your car it will end up being a real lemon with major repair costs once it's out of warranty.

·
Super Moderator
7,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

This is precisely why I became a car guy. I discovered that I had more time and inclination to do the work the way I wanted it done rather than blindly letting the guy who sat at the back of the class do the work for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
228 Posts
I didn't mean go out of your way to the dealer. I just meant to stop in for a def top off if you're driving by. My dealer is also a 20 mile round trip, but I drive by it at least 3 times a month. They use a hose to prevent spills. They would have to try really hard to spill def in my trunk. Then there is also the dealer by my school, and the dealer on the way to Denver....

Anyone could leave a drain plug a little loose, even you. I was just glad my oil filter housing was not cross threaded/damaged. When I'm out of free oil changes I'll just purchase my own oil and tell the dealer to put it in my car. They will be putting def in my car until I have owned it for 2 years

·
Registered
216 Posts
I didn't mean go out of your way to the dealer. I just meant to stop in for a def top off if you're driving by. My dealer is also a 20 mile round trip, but I drive by it at least 3 times a month. They use a hose to prevent spills. They would have to try really hard to spill def in my trunk. Then there is also the dealer by my school, and the dealer on the way to Denver....

Anyone could leave a drain plug a little loose, even you. I was just glad my oil filter housing was not cross threaded/damaged. When I'm out of free oil changes I'll just purchase my own oil and tell the dealer to put it in my car. They will be putting def in my car until I have owned it for 2 years

AFAIK you only get 4 total free services in 2 years covered under your new car warranty. So if you stop buy for only a DEF top off, that uses up one of those 4 free services.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
4 oil changes. I was told I can stop in for fluid top offs any time, def also

I think it's only 4 but your dealer is free the offer more if they wish and it sounds like they wisely are doing so. I know I'd rather eat 5 bucks of def and have a customer in the service center then not at all...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think it's only 4 but your dealer is free the offer more if they wish and it sounds like they wisely are doing so. I know I'd rather eat 5 bucks of def and have a customer in the service center then not at all...
According to Chevy, we should only have to fill the def twice in the 24k mile free maintenance program. They say the tank lasts 10k miles but we are finding out that may not be the case

·
Registered
228 Posts
...which means, IF you (all Diesel Cruze owners) don't BITCH to GM, nothing will be done about it.

Remember, GM only has a brief warranty period to worry about, unlike REAL car owners will have.
What does that mean? 2 years free maintenance? 3 year/36k mile bumper to bumper, 5 year/100k powertrain... Seems like a normal warranty to me

·
Super Moderator
7,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
According to Chevy, we should only have to fill the def twice in the 24k mile free maintenance program. They say the tank lasts 10k miles but we are finding out that may not be the case

Not sure what you're driving at?

My car took nine litres of DEF after 7,300 miles. On a 22.5 litre DEF tank that extrapolates to 15,000 miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Can't speak for Canadian Emission rules, but USA EPA requires Emission equipment to function "error-free" for at least 80,000 miles. But, there is NO regulation as to *how much* consumable materials--ie: DEF--the owner has to buy & use over those miles. If GM *TELLs* owners 10K miles per 4.5 gallon tank, but only 7.5K miles is what ACTUALLY occurs...it's NOT gong to be an EPA concern...but it *IS* a concern to the owner...ie: more money spent more often than GM *TOLD* you in the beginning...which is tantamount to fraud.

Thus, GM should either: (A) fix the problem (use less DEF or purge less often) or (B) change the interval/miles information they tell prospective owners.
youre right, Tomko should file a fraud suit with his attorney general

his def is sposed to last 10k, but he's only getting 15k out of it

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.