Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got dreaded exhaust fluid quality poor and limp mode 2nd time on trip. First time a manual regen was done at dealer and code reset. Only lasted few days before I was out of town again and message came back. Dealer was unable to clear P249D code after doing manual regen. Didn't want to motel and have rental car instead of being home so I managed to make it w 2 mi left before 4mph restriction. Dealer replaced Nox from recall while there.
my dealer can't get me in till 20th so want to do some preliminary pm. Seems simple but I don't want to break that little white plastic clip on def injector I've tried to remove w pick, screwdriver and needle nose to no avail. Is there a trick to getting that thing off? Want to clean it and check for crystallization

I am planning on having intake manifold removed and cleaned due to heavy soot build up that was discovered when intercooler tube cracked and throttle body was replaced. Heavy soot on O2 sensor when I pulled it off too. Don't know if this is cause of current problem, but know it has to be done soon. At least eliminate that issue before they try to diagnose this hard set P249D code. Got another notification letter from GM yesterday about temp sensor on def tank. Tank was replaced over year ago but don't see mention of sensor being replaced. With 171000 on car emission def issues seem to be coming very frequently now.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Did you have the DEF reservoir replaced at the time of the tank replacement? Did it come with any sort of warranty? Most likely you have a bad DEF heater. It has a variety of symptoms, but most usually the poor DEF message is one of them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Aug 2015 reservoir kit 22978800 was replaced. Comment was also made about low amps on heater, replaced module. However there is no pn shown on work order. Just received recall notice about offset in temperature sensor in def tank or increased def tank heater resistance. Going to call parts Monday and see if they have part. Can't get appt till 20th

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
In Aug 2015 reservoir kit 22978800 was replaced. Comment was also made about low amps on heater, replaced module. However there is no pn shown on work order. Just received recall notice about offset in temperature sensor in def tank or increased def tank heater resistance. Going to call parts Monday and see if they have part. Can't get appt till 20th
Keep us posted and good luck. Did the reservoir kit you bought have a lifetime warranty?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I got this on the weekend 240 kms after recall. I have to come back to do a manual regen.
A manual regen won't have any affect on the DEF quality poor message.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My Nox sensor was reading fine before the recall was done now its not working, I said what changed? Only the recall to change the Nox sensor. Hopefully he checked the connections.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
My Nox sensor was reading fine before the recall was done now its not working, I said what changed? Only the recall to change the Nox sensor. Hopefully he checked the connections.
i am going to comment on this in the recall poll thread.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well got a lot of expensive news from dealer today. Car has 3 codes coming up P249D, P208a, p2002. Tech said he had to have several conversations with GM because of some of the readouts he was getting. Bottom line is ECM seems to not be working correctly and have a bad dpf pump and filter. Probably looking at $3k in repairs.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Wow....do you have confidence in your dealer that they are being 100% honest with you? Not suggesting they are not.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well got a lot of expensive news from dealer today. Car has 3 codes coming up P249D, P208a, p2002. Tech said he had to have several conversations with GM because of some of the readouts he was getting. Bottom line is ECM seems to not be working correctly and have a bad dpf pump and filter. Probably looking at $3k in repairs.
The emission delete and tune is $1500. Put that extra $1500 in your 401k. I will delete as soon as warranty doesn't cove these bs issues.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Can you clarify what you mean by "bad dpf pump and filter"? I don't think there is a dpf pump, unless you mean "def pump" and "dpf filter".

Either way, the diagnosis sounds suspect to me. The DPF has been pretty robust in these cars, and I think there's only been one person who had one replaced, but am not convinced it was actually bad.

Can you go to a different dealer to get a second opinion? This just doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes typo. Def pump. I did have another mechanic stating the same thing a few months back when I first started getting error codes and limp mode condition. This last time when more codes came up along with problem of not being able to clear the codes a new experienced diesel mechanic got involved and he was one that also had conversations w GM tech support or whatever they are called. I am having parts kept for me as I do want to look into it more

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also remember GM had mechanic, or technician as they like to be called now, put clean cloth over exhaust. Blew a lot of soot. These guys know I have some experience and that I check forums and blogs about issues. Not to say I could not still get taken, but they have been pretty open with me about what they are finding and phone calls they have made to GM. Mechanic just returned from GM training school getting some updated training on the diesels. Unfortunately sometimes you just don't know what you don't know. The diagnosis seems to be more of what GM is stating .

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
What's the latest verdict? Still $3K in repairs?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Part still on back order. Going to call tomorrow and see if there is any update on delivery. Gave me an 01 impala for loaner, but not like having my car w the mpg.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Keep us posted. I sure hope it's not $3K!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Would love to get rid of system, but kind of had me in a bind needing to get car back on road.
Just got it back. The reduction pump shorted out, which also took out ecm. They replaced doc, reduction pump, and ecm. $2200 parts, $ 640 labor + tax

1 - 20 of 27 Posts