Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
61 Posts
Walmart was a little thin on it last time I went, maybe 10 jugs total between brands. Was also up to $14 a jug for their brand, roughly doubled from last year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Southern Idaho here, DEF supply is visibly depleted on store shelves. Still available but no longer on "sale" so price is up by about 30% in regular stores..
I occasionally consult for a trucking company in a neighboring state, for which partial compensation is provided with my use of company fuel card/cards to purchase DEF for my 2014 Diesel Cruze. Recently one of said cards was rejected, when said rejection was investigated, it was found that the commercial network had restricted out of "home state" DEF purchases due to "localized area supply issues".
Far from proof... but anecdotally my experience seems to confirm similar observations.

·
Premium Member
2015 CTD
361 Posts
Was at my local Wally world and while not exactly a shortage it was rather bare.
Shelf Shelving Automotive lighting Plastic bottle Bottle cap

·
Premium Member
2015 CTD
361 Posts
Don't want to make this political but we gotta get these arse clowns out of our government.

Luckily for me a got a years worth unless I start driving a lot. 1 years worth. 2 gallons or so plus full def tank in the car.

Deleting it is making more and more sense.🤔🤔

And for those that think it can't be done, your not trying hard enough.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,728 Posts
Don't want to make this political but we gotta get these arse clowns out of our government.
So you did exactly that.

The government has no bearing on DEF. This is entirely supply-chain related. You know, like **** has been for the past 2.5 years.

So what's this nonsense that is Blue DEF "Platinum". Sounds like literally a more expensive version of the exact same thing.

·
Premium Member
2015 CTD
361 Posts
So you did exactly that.

The government has no bearing on DEF. This is entirely supply-chain related. You know, like **** has been for the past 2.5 years.

So what's this nonsense that is Blue DEF "Platinum". Sounds like literally a more expensive version of the exact same thing.
Well technically both articles made it that way. I just said it.

But yeah Platinum DEF is, well, DEF. I figure plain old DEF has worked in my car for 8 years so it must be good enough.

But back on topic, I guess it sounds like DEF may become a pain point sooner rather than later.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,728 Posts
I mean, by law, DEF can't be anything other than DEF - so basically cheap or expensive, it's the same stuff. Until I wasn't able to get it starting a good few years back, I just ran the Supertech stuff from Walmart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone read they are now talking about a DEF shortage? Just what we need.
I work for a major oil distributor in New York.There is shortage of DEF especialy in 2 1/2 gal contaniers.I am told that Urea is in short supply because farmers are now using it for fertilizer in many states.That is creating a shortage and price increases.

·
Registered
626 Posts
But yeah Platinum DEF is, well, DEF. I figure plain old DEF has worked in my car for 8 years so it must be good enough.
DEF is not DEF.
Go to the Colorado/Canyon Diesel sites and you'll find plenty of people having issues with Platinum DEF. Our truck was one of them. Within miles of filling with Platinum fluid started getting poor quality def warnings, de-rate warnings etc.

ONLY thing done was drain and refill with standard fluid and been fine for thousands of miles and multiple refills.

The DEF shortage has been a concern for months now.
Article I read gave examples of trucks being side lined in S. Korea over a lack of fluid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone read they are now talking about a DEF shortage? Just what we need.
I work for a major lubricants distributor in New York,there is a shortage of DEF.There are two reasons.The #1 reason is farmers are being forced in many states to use Urea as a fertilizer instead of other chemicals.#2 The war in Ukraine where 40% of the worlds Urea comes from.Urea is about 37% of DEF.

·
Premium Member
2015 CTD
361 Posts
DEF is not DEF.
Go to the Colorado/Canyon Diesel sites and you'll find plenty of people having issues with Platinum DEF. Our truck was one of them. Within miles of filling with Platinum fluid started getting poor quality def warnings, de-rate warnings etc.

ONLY thing done was drain and refill with standard fluid and been fine for thousands of miles and multiple refills.

The DEF shortage has been a concern for months now.
Article I read gave examples of trucks being side lined in S. Korea over a lack of fluid.
So if DEF is not DEF than what else is it? I am curious to know.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I work for a major oil distributor in New York.There is shortage of DEF especialy in 2 1/2 gal contaniers.I am told that Urea is in short supply because farmers are now using it for fertilizer in many states.That is creating a shortage and price increases.
Do you think access at say pump stations will be affected? I guess worst case scenario we have to go to a truck fuel stop to fill up.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Do you think access at say pump stations will be affected? I guess worst case scenario we have to go to a truck fuel stop to fill up.
Been using the truck stops for years now. Cheaper and no mess from those stupid bottles.

Reactions: revjpeterson
1 - 20 of 23 Posts