Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emptied a 2.5 gallon container of DEF into my tank and when I went to screw the top back on I noticed there was no back rubber piece inside the cap. So either there never was and/ or there isn't supposed to be, or it fell into the tank at some point in time.

If it did fall into the tank will it cause me problems or will it just sit at the bottom and mind it's own business?

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I emptied a 2.5 gallon container of DEF into my tank and when I went to screw the top back on I noticed there was no back rubber piece inside the cap. So either there never was and/ or there isn't supposed to be, or it fell into the tank at some point in time.

If it did fall into the tank will it cause me problems or will it just sit at the bottom and mind it's own business?
As long as the tank doesn't have the fluid intake pump positioned in an area where it could completely cover it and stop the flow of the fluid, I can't imagine it would cause problems; unless its cheap rubber and eventually starts to degrade and contaminate the fluid. Do you have an inspection camera? I actually just picked one up for the holidays and that would be a perfect use for it.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, seems like I have everything else except that. Doubt it floats anyway, probably sitting at the bottom of the tank

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
How bout another diesel owner look and see if the cap has a rubber seal and what color is it?

BTW, can't imagine a seal getting down that fill hole unless you folded it over and jammed it down the hole......I suspect you are fine.

We'll see,
Rob

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Mine has a black rubber seal on a stem in the center of the cap. Hers has too much crap in the trunk to get to it to check.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no black rubber in my cap anymore. Only the plastic blue cap.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,067 Posts
How bout another diesel owner look and see if the cap has a rubber seal and what color is it?

BTW, can't imagine a seal getting down that fill hole unless you folded it over and jammed it down the hole......I suspect you are fine.

We'll see,
Rob
1231151416a.jpg

Looks like there should be a thick donut-shaped seal around the center post inside the cap.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Thanks for taking the photo Rev.

OP?
I still can't imagine it going down the hole......maybe laying under the trunk mat....maybe never there.....if it did get in the tank I can't imagine it obstructing anything...assume there is a filter screen at the pickup.

Rob

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope so. Do you guys think I should contact my dealer about getting another cap?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm 99% sure it fell in the tank. The cap was a little hard to pull off but I thought it was just the def fluid because I heard the crunch sound the dried def makes.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,067 Posts
Thanks for taking the photo Rev.

OP?
I still can't imagine it going down the hole......maybe laying under the trunk mat....maybe never there.....if it did get in the tank I can't imagine it obstructing anything...assume there is a filter screen at the pickup.

Rob
I'd stick a finger inside the filler neck and see if you can feel it lodged inside of there. It looks like the ring seals on the inside of the tube, so if it stuck when you removed the cap, it might still be located inside of the neck. You could probably get by without the seal, but concerns might be if enough environmental moisture condensed in the area to dilute the DEF (unlikely, though, I'd think) or if you drove on a lot of bumpy roads that resulted in so much leakage that it became a corrosion problem inside the trunk. I don't think I'd bother with a whole new cap, though. If you take the cap into a fleet-farm type store with you and go over to their hardware section where the drawers of washers, clips, clamps, 0-rings and other miscellaneous parts are, there's probably one there for less than a dollar that you can stick in there.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah maybe that's what I'll do.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
I'd be concerned about evaporation and the crystalline it leaves behind. Maybe just put on condom or some other kind of membrane over it for now?

Reactions: pacolino

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll price up a new cap, maybe it won't be that bad.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anybody know the part # for the cap? I've been looking online but can't find it

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Every def pump I can find online seems to have a filter on the supply line so at least that's some piece of mind.

·
Registered
194 Posts
part #(22787277) TANK CAP - 2015 Chevrolet Cruze

GM Parts list it at $18.89

(22787277) TANK CAP - 2015 Chevrolet Cruze

Not sure why it won't let me enter a link but it is telling me I can't?????

·
Registered
194 Posts
http://www.gmpartsnow.com/chevrolet/cruze/22787277/2015-year/diesel-trim/2-0l-l4-diesel-engine/emission-system-cat/emission-components-scat/?part_name=tank-cap

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks man.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts