Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but found threads relating to fog. I have not had any problems with my windshield fogging or being able to remove it.

I noticed that while driving ice will accumulate on both sides of the windshield making it extremely difficult to see anything except for what's straight in front of you.

The car is fully warmed up, defrost to the windshield only on max, the air is so hot it makes me sick from all the heat going up near my head, yet the ice remains.

I stopped and asked a fellow Cruze owner at a gas station and he said he did not have this problem. I noticed the defrost vents do not go all the way across the windshield as they do in most cars.

Is this a design flaw? If I stick my hand out I can feel the air hitting the sides of the windshield but it seems to have no effect.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem before I take it in?

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
I've had this problem but only on days I didn't let her warm up first.

If you only let it warm up for a minute then take off and reach highway/freeway speeds shortly thereafter even if the car warms up the wind will keep the outside too chilled to be effective.

If you let the car warm up longer and let the defroster do some work on the windshield and raise the temp of the glass some it may help. (Note that you don't want to turn your defroster until your engine is actually making heat, you'll only make things fell colder if you turn it on early)

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
What I've done is to turn the front vent near the door to blow onto the window. That will clear the window pretty quickly.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I have the same issue when it gets really cold, especially if there is snow and/or ice built up on the edges from the wiper blades.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
For the front side windows I do what sciphi does - point the outboard main vents up and out towards the windows.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem isn't the front side windows, it is the SIDES of the WINDSHIELD.

As stated the car is fully warmed up, fan cranked, does nothing.

It is a horrible design flaw and a very big safety concern.

All they had to do was make the front defroster go all the way along the bottom of the windshield like every other car.

I figured there is nothing the dealership can/will do, just wanted to make sure.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,130 Posts
For vehicles I have owned, the Cruze's design with the center defroster vent that projects outward instead of the full-length vent has been the more common design, and I've never had a problem. My front windshield defrosts very well, even at -15F. The bottom corners are a little slow to defrost (outside) compared to the center, but only by 10 minutes or so and not high enough to impede visibility, and I've never had a problem with the inside of the glass. Not sure what could be causing the trouble for you. I've had some defrost problems like this before due to a clogged or wet cabin air filter, but your car shouldn't be old enough for that to be an issue yet.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
It's possible that something is blocking your dash/windshield vent.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,130 Posts
It's possible that something is blocking your dash/windshield vent.
Good thought. I remember a few of my past vehicles (1995/2000 Luminas) where clearing the outside cowl area around the HVAC intake was mandatory or it would cause defrost problems - sometimes so severe that it would add frost to the inside of the windshield (1990 Cavalier and 1996 Olds Ciera).

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
No such problems with my 2012 2LT, recir has to be left off. In defrost get a very powerful blast and also floor heat. Even in -22*F Wisconsin weather, have to cut the temperature knob back to about midway or get baked alive.

Another variable is the number of passengers you have in the vehicle, its their breathe that fogs up the windows. On this 430 mile trip was just my wife and I in the Cruze. Dogs really fog up the windows. Not in the Cruze but in my old 92 DeVille, had to haul four German Shepherd dogs on a very cold day. Had no choice but to crack the rear windows down.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I have this problem if my car has not fully warmed up, which with 15F or less weather take 30miles of driving to accomplish with fan speed 2 or 3(my 2012 cruze still has the DIC digital engine temperature readout).

Sure I can feel heat when the engine is at 130degrees(under 5 minutes), but to get the heat NickD above speaks of(melt off you face heat), the engine needs to get to its normal 220F. My engine warms to the 180-200F range fairly quickly but seems to hover there forever. Even at highway speeds if I use fan 3 when less than 15F my engine will start cooling off if in this range.

If I make sure I am above 200F before I use fan speed 3, I have no issues with the engine cooling off on the highway. I never use the max fan in the winter, takes to much heat off the engine. I only use fan speed 4 with the AC(my 2012 only has 4 fan speeds).

·
Registered
24 Posts
In the same boat here in northern Indiana. Have a 70+mile commute by myself. To keep the WS clear, I have to run only the defroster with a high heat setting. Forget about trying to keep the side windows clear, unless I crack open the side windows.
Love the car but hate the defrosters!

·
Registered
391 Posts
No such problems with my 2012 2LT, recir has to be left off. In defrost get a very powerful blast and also floor heat. Even in -22*F Wisconsin weather, have to cut the temperature knob back to about midway or get baked alive.
Same Wisconsin weather, I have the same defrost issue. Any moisture that builds on the wipers will freeze at the wipers furthest left position and then it's not going to matter what the defrost is set to, it will not go away unless you scrape it off. Love this car but if I had known how awful it is in cold weather I would never have bought it. At this point I am glad my wife stole my AT Grand Prix, since she did not like the manual trans in the Cruze. I would be selling the Cruze if she were driving it and not me.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I did a search but found threads relating to fog. I have not had any problems with my windshield fogging or being able to remove it.

I noticed that while driving ice will accumulate on both sides of the windshield making it extremely difficult to see anything except for what's straight in front of you.

The car is fully warmed up, defrost to the windshield only on max, the air is so hot it makes me sick from all the heat going up near my head, yet the ice remains.

I stopped and asked a fellow Cruze owner at a gas station and he said he did not have this problem. I noticed the defrost vents do not go all the way across the windshield as they do in most cars.

Is this a design flaw? If I stick my hand out I can feel the air hitting the sides of the windshield but it seems to have no effect.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem before I take it in?
In reading your post and the responses, I think you may have a seperate problem......happened to one of the guys on my Jeep forum too.
Anyways, continue fogging issues as you describe, turned out to be the air door for the recirculate was stuck in the recirculate position.
Result, continual fogging regardless of control positions.

If you do take it in, tell them it acts as though it is recirc at all times......this way they will look harder.

Good luck,
Rob

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
4 questions

*You full defrost or defrost and feet?

*Fresh air or recirc on?

*Fan at highest setting?

*Do you have long converstions with passengers or on your bluetooth phone?
Full defrost, feet/defrost, doesn't matter won't clear the ice that accumulates if it's snowing outside.

Fresh air

Yes

No conversations going on, no other passengers

1 - 20 of 45 Posts