Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey was just wondering if anybody in canada knew of any places that do deletes and tunes on the diesel preferably in ontario

·
Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
124 Posts
Hey was just wondering if anybody in canada knew of any places that do deletes and tunes on the diesel preferably in ontario
Start making some calls to your local tuning shops. They will likely have to fabricate their own downpipe for you. All of the US vendors online have basically been shut down.

The Cruze didn't receive a lot of aftermarket attention let alone the 2.0TDI so it's not very likely any Canadian retailer is gonna start cranking out downpipes and canned tunes any time soon for it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,990 Posts
The Cruze didn't receive a lot of aftermarket attention let alone the 2.0TDI so it's not very likely any Canadian retailer is gonna start cranking out downpipes and canned tunes any time soon for it.
Sure it did - Gen 1s have quite an aftermarket. The CTD doesn't have as many parts available for it, since most of the diesel-specific stuff really couldn't be replaced - aside from deleting it. Then when that all got stopped in the US, that was that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
No I don't sell delete kits, tunes or downpipes. I posted the picture above ^^^ to show they are still being made and available, although significantly more expensive than what OZ offered.

·
Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
124 Posts
No I don't sell delete kits, tunes or downpipes. I posted the picture above ^^^ to show they are still being made and available, although significantly more expensive than what OZ offered.
I ordered from the chap on ebay that sells the kit posted above. He's a good guy and will ship to canada.

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
124 Posts
You found someone that can tune it then?
Start learning how to do it yourself. The actual emissions delete is really simple with an EFI live. Snipesy has done a tremendous job creating CAX files for this ECU. If you google search you'll find the files :)

The timing tuning is where all the learning is to be had with this. But you can get your car up and running with emissions removal very easily by yourself. Most of them are simply 'turn off' and the EGR just involves disabling the CEL and flattening out the map. If you're doing blanking plates then you can leave the map as is.

I started just learning how to do this after getting a custom delete on my car and not being super pleased with some of the side effects.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an OZ delete kit (pipe and EGR plates). Brand new, never used. Bought it a few years ago to install once the car reached 100k miles. Well, last weeks storm allowed another driver to total my CTD so it's gone forever. I would happily sell and ship within the States or to Canada.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Start learning how to do it yourself. The actual emissions delete is really simple with an EFI live. Snipesy has done a tremendous job creating CAX files for this ECU. If you google search you'll find the files :)

The timing tuning is where all the learning is to be had with this. But you can get your car up and running with emissions removal very easily by yourself. Most of them are simply 'turn off' and the EGR just involves disabling the CEL and flattening out the map. If you're doing blanking plates then you can leave the map as is.

I started just learning how to do this after getting a custom delete on my car and not being super pleased with some of the side effects.
Yes it runs surprisingly well just disabling a few things. And otherwise not touching it.

Anything from there is just bonus. I would first start by lowering boost as far as you are comfortable. 700F cruising is a good target.

This also significantly reduced NOx emissions from a delete by an order of magnitude. So I recommend doing it.

From there start playing with timing. I’d just copy mode 0 everywhere. As mode 1 and 2 are generally just Regen stuff

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
And of course just 0 out post injection quantity. Otherwise you are literally dumping fuel out. Virtually none of it burns and it doesn’t contribute to any sort of pressure lowering effect.

·
Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
124 Posts
Yes it runs surprisingly well just disabling a few things. And otherwise not touching it.

Anything from there is just bonus. I would first start by lowering boost as far as you are comfortable. 700F cruising is a good target.

This also significantly reduced NOx emissions from a delete by an order of magnitude. So I recommend doing it.

From there start playing with timing. I’d just copy mode 0 everywhere. As mode 1 and 2 are generally just Regen stuff
Thanks for the advice Snipesy. I've been playing around with your sample emissions tune and seeing what I can do with it. I won't have the ability to flash it until EFI live sells tuning support for the GM vehicle again (kind of ridiculous I need to buy that in order to flash a tune on a car they don't even officially support). I am very tempted to use a k-tag instead and build a definition file in winols or something similar. But the convenience of flashing through OBDII is a little too good to pass up.

Interesting point about regulating excess oxygen/combustion temps to reduce nox. From an engineering perspective I'd be really curious if a guy could just disable EGR and adjust other parameters in the ECU and still maintain the NOX levels on the tail pipe. I think this would require an upsized SCR but it's definitely achievable. I would love to take on this challenge in my next diesel truck as I will surely tune out the EGR. I have no issue with using DEF but it seems really counter intuitive to me to add EGR to reduce NOX and then create a bunch more particulate and require a DPF to deal with that, then add SCR to deal with the nox formed during the regen process of the DPF and other parts of combustion. At the end of the day, I think if diesels only had a DPF/SCR then most people wouldn't bother deleting them. Seems to me without EGR DPF regen cycles would be few and far between anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Thanks for the advice Snipesy. I've been playing around with your sample emissions tune and seeing what I can do with it. I won't have the ability to flash it until EFI live sells tuning support for the GM vehicle again (kind of ridiculous I need to buy that in order to flash a tune on a car they don't even officially support). I am very tempted to use a k-tag instead and build a definition file in winols or something similar. But the convenience of flashing through OBDII is a little too good to pass up.

Interesting point about regulating excess oxygen/combustion temps to reduce nox. From an engineering perspective I'd be really curious if a guy could just disable EGR and adjust other parameters in the ECU and still maintain the NOX levels on the tail pipe. I think this would require an upsized SCR but it's definitely achievable. I would love to take on this challenge in my next diesel truck as I will surely tune out the EGR. I have no issue with using DEF but it seems really counter intuitive to me to add EGR to reduce NOX and then create a bunch more particulate and require a DPF to deal with that, then add SCR to deal with the nox formed during the regen process of the DPF and other parts of combustion. At the end of the day, I think if diesels only had a DPF/SCR then most people wouldn't bother deleting them. Seems to me without EGR DPF regen cycles would be few and far between anyways.
It wouldn’t keep up. Not even close.

The only system that could come close to EGR without being EGR is water injection. Or water/diesel emulsions . But this is a massive infrastructure hurdle. Hindsight is 20/20.

Not to mention the extra weight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It wouldn’t keep up. Not even close.

The only system that could come close to EGR without being EGR is water injection. Or water/diesel emulsions . But this is a massive infrastructure hurdle. Hindsight is 20/20.

Not to mention the extra weight.
do you know of someone who wants water/meth system , bigger turbo / I bought exergy engineering's cruze with these extra's .I would like to put the car on a diet eg your tunes but that that is a challenge I'm not quite confident/ ready for . (TBI 6yrs ago, memory & some other cognitive issues)

@kelaog EFI live is not supporting gm vehicles now ? I was going to buy a flashscan 3 once I figured out all the steps & tools needed

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
do you know of someone who wants water/meth system , bigger turbo / I bought exergy engineering's cruze with these extra's .I would like to put the car on a diet eg your tunes but that that is a challenge I'm not quite confident/ ready for . (TBI 6yrs ago, memory & some other cognitive issues)

@kelaog EFI live is not supporting gm vehicles now ? I was going to buy a flashscan 3 once I figured out all the steps & tools needed
New GM vehicles maybe not but nothing wrong with current ones. I think the FS3 works fine.

The only problem with water/methanol is we don’t really have a good way to control it. Most kits are just dumb injections which can be very wasteful. We need 3 parameters for ‘optimal’ dosing. MAF, Fuel, and engine speed.

Dumb injection does work quite well though. And we can inject pretty much anywhere on the high pressure intake side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New GM vehicles maybe not but nothing wrong with current ones. I think the FS3 works fine.

The only problem with water/methanol is we don’t really have a good way to control it. Most kits are just dumb injections which can be very wasteful. We need 3 parameters for ‘optimal’ dosing. MAF, Fuel, and engine speed.

Dumb injection does work quite well though. And we can inject pretty much anywhere on the high pressure intake side.
don't remember everything I was told. the car has edge cts & extra gauges . the system water/ meth system was hid in what looked like the regular battery , it had a small battery to go inside of that "battery" . It has another controller for different settings in the glove box and 2 toggles in panel under drivers side ,I got a lot of extra paperwork where they had dyno testing for different settings ,etc with the water/meth system . They had changed the setting on the turbo also to open sooner and on the upper end., they hadn't run it with the bigger turbo If I remember right ,well I have a lot to go over and review ... and I'm not a tech. lol . I can tear everything apart & put it back together w/ instr. /book and no interruptions :)

·
Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
124 Posts

It can't read the cruze but it can write to it. It's not officially supported. I'd be using Snipesy's CAX files and sample tune files as the base file.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an OZ delete kit (pipe and EGR plates). Brand new, never used. Bought it a few years ago to install once the car reached 100k miles. Well, last weeks storm allowed another driver to total my CTD so it's gone forever. I would happily sell and ship within the States or to Canada.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts