Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I won't have the ability to flash it until EFI live sells tuning support for the GM vehicle again (kind of ridiculous I need to buy that in order to flash a tune on a car they don't even officially support).
It can't read the cruze but it can write to it. It's not officially supported. I'd be using Snipesy's CAX files and sample tune files as the base file.
I see the EFI Live Flashscan V3 costs about $500 new but then the GM Vehicle package costs $450. The GM Enabled ones are on ebay for $1100. I found a used Flashscan V2 and thought about getting that and then paying the $450 to add the GM support to it.

These quotes, however, have me thinking that even if I get the Flashscan V3 I still won't be able to read from the Cruze. If its just writing the files from the CAX samples then can't the much cheaper much more available "Autocal" units accomplish the same goal? Plenty of those are available used from the truck guys and adding a VIN is just $125. It seems like those are supposed to be able to write from files sent by email from a distant source. I would imagine the CAX files we are pushing to the car would be the same thing.

I got the kit pictured from ebay. It just came in the mail today. The one end is nicely machined and the opposite flange is probably water jetted but its still really nice. The TIG welds are very nice and the whole thing looks rather well made. I'm pretty impressed with the quality even if I had a very hard time stomaching the cost. I was tempted to make my own from scratch but just don't have the time. I would not be able to equal the quality of the finished product either.

·
Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
133 Posts
I see the EFI Live Flashscan V3 costs about $500 new but then the GM Vehicle package costs $450. The GM Enabled ones are on ebay for $1100. I found a used Flashscan V2 and thought about getting that and then paying the $450 to add the GM support to it.

These quotes, however, have me thinking that even if I get the Flashscan V3 I still won't be able to read from the Cruze. If its just writing the files from the CAX samples then can't the much cheaper much more available "Autocal" units accomplish the same goal? Plenty of those are available used from the truck guys and adding a VIN is just $125. It seems like those are supposed to be able to write from files sent by email from a distant source. I would imagine the CAX files we are pushing to the car would be the same thing.

I got the kit pictured from ebay. It just came in the mail today. The one end is nicely machined and the opposite flange is probably water jetted but its still really nice. The TIG welds are very nice and the whole thing looks rather well made. I'm pretty impressed with the quality even if I had a very hard time stomaching the cost. I was tempted to make my own from scratch but just don't have the time. I would not be able to equal the quality of the finished product either.
The Autocal needs to be married to a flashscan in order for you to write a custom tune to it unfortunately. Basically the autocal is for end-user use only, resold by tuning companies directly who upload their tune to it before shipping.

So no, you need the Flashscan if you want to write your own tunes. If you already have a tune file then you could write it to an autocal but you would need someone with a flashscan that can write a file specifically for it. It's a very silly setup but makes sense from a resale perspective.

IE: for my dodge truck I thought about writing my own tunes but couldn't find all the definition files for it so I just ended up buying an autocal + tune from a reputable tuner. If I wanted to get a new file from him, he can send me an updated file by email and I can write it to the autocal because it's written specifically for it. Theoretically I can go to a different tuning company with my autocal and have them write a tune for it as well but I would have to have the autocal unlocked by the first guy. In the end you're probably further ahead buying the Flashscan V3 as it likely can be used for other vehicles in the future but it does cost a bit more. I kind of wish I had bought the Flashscan though because I would have been able to tune the cruze and the dodge with it; however, I had just spent a freaking fortune on a late model cummins diesel truck and didn't have a whole lot of coin left over lol.

·
Registered
14 CTD
81 Posts
Flashscan v3 is over $1k to purchase new. With either gm or dodge unlocked. But you can unlock 250 (I think) vins with it. You can read and write vehicles with the flashscan. Except the cruze that is. You can write only to the cruze engine (no trans). Not the end of the world because someone @Snipesy has already gone through the painstaking work of putting together usable files for us to use.

The Autocal is what you buy to write a tune file written by someone who owns a flashscan. I believe it is locked to the flashscan who created the tune you last wrote. Therfore you would be dealing with the same 1 person to create, and modify your tune .

Don't quote me on this info. But that is my understanding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an OZ delete kit (pipe and EGR plates). Brand new, never used. Bought it a few years ago to install once the car reached 100k miles. Well, last weeks storm allowed another driver to total my CTD so it's gone forever. I would happily sell and ship within the States or to Canada.
Please contact me if you still have the kit. What were you going to do for a tuner?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts