Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to my boss at work today comparing our 11 Cruzes. I have an ECO and he has an LS I believe. He said he's talked to his dealer and Chevy about a design flaw that Chevy is aware of. He said that if you look at the front wheels from the back of the car, you will see that they stick out past the fenders. This is kicking stones up along his rear passenger door and the posts behind the rear passenger door windows.

He said the deal says Chevy is aware and is agreeing to repaint the areas in question if there are chips, but it has to be before 36K miles. He's getting his repainted.

Just wonder if anyone else is having this issue or has heard about it??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Flaps do not solve this.
I have them and still get chips.
Glad Chevy is doing something about it, I'm taking mine to the dealer ASAP.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Oh wow.. I'll have to look at that. I've never noticed this. Interesting..

Reactions: SlvrECObullet

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
I have a 11 LS and no such problem 17000 miles. Have not read about that problem on this forum. Did he upgrade his wheels/tire size from the 215 60 16?

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I have a 11 LS and no such problem 17000 miles. Have not read about that problem on this forum. Did he upgrade his wheels/tire size from the 215 60 16?
I have 215 60 16's and bad chipping. I added door edge guards to the rear doors to stop the chipping in that area.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Oddly enough, of all the reports I've seen here and on other forums, I have not heard of this happening on an RS optioned Cruze. If someone know of one, please let me know. Based on this, I'm thinking that it is an air flow problem over the Cruze body panels (call it a design flaw if you want), but the skirts of the RS package alter the air flow and deflect the abrasive materials away from the areas that are getting chipped. Someone please prove me wrong before I spend money on the RS package.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I hope that Chevy is actually going to take responsibility and repair the damage. The chipping on my Eco is terrible an Chevy Customer Service is really giving me the run around via a poorly scripted generic answer. Very frustrated. I have owned 3 toyotas and never felt as though a company didn't cared so little about my concerns as does Chevy...

If this is a known design flaw, could you please reference any factual information that I could forward to Chevy? Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oddly enough, of all the reports I've seen here and on other forums, I have not heard of this happening on an RS optioned Cruze. If someone know of one, please let me know. Based on this, I'm thinking that it is an air flow problem over the Cruze body panels (call it a design flaw if you want), but the skirts of the RS package alter the air flow and deflect the abrasive materials away from the areas that are getting chipped. Someone please prove me wrong before I spend money on the RS package.
I own a 2012 LT1 with the RS Package. I have one chip on the driver side rear door, but the road I drive to work, a short area is oiled and chipped, so small stones everywhere. Driving that road everyday, I would say the Side skirts are doing their job changing the air around the car. I have no chips on the skirt anywhere, not even the wheel well area where its bolted.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a 2012 1LT RS with 215/60/16 tires and I too have one stone chip on the drivers side rear door, dead center of the door panel. I never noticed the front wheels sticking out past the fenders, I will check this out tomorrow. It would be nice if GM actually came out with a fix for this, not just a bandaid (repainting) :(

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
I own a 2012 LTZ with the RS package. I just detailed it a couple weeks ago and found absolutely NO chipping or otherwise damaged paint in any areas on the car.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
They do put lots of grooves in tires, namely for traction, but can also pick up small stones that are thrown out with great velocity to this thing called centrifugal force. Wheel wells use to be made out of metal and were the first thing to rust out in a new vehicle. Plastic here is a definite improvement in vehicle life.

But with the Cruze, these wheel wells are too small for the tires they are sticking on, least case is the tire being even with the outside edge of the wheel well, worse case is they stick out a couple of inches. So the body designers created a problem by not flaring out the lower part of these wheel wells.

They offer an ineffective solution by making so-called splash shields, way over priced, that doesn't do the job. Had to really shop around for something that provided adequate protection. Found that at my Fleet Farm store for twenty bucks for all for and installed them myself so they look good and are on straight.

But these only protect the vehicle from itself, Wisconsin tends to put road gravel on the shoulder and have these idiots that can't keep their hijacked pickups on the road or uncovered gravel trucks spraying stones all over the road. Have to stay far away from these guys, but no choice if they are coming from the other way on a narrow two lane highway.

Then no door moldings for those idiots driving a pile of rust that park six inches away from your vehicle. No getting around this unless you leave your vehicle parked safely in your locked garage. I really wanted to by a Saturn, with plastic flexible doors, but that made too much sense, and Saturn is now history. Anything that makes sense is history.

Yet another new problem is mixing old ground up tires that leave metal pieces stuck to the side of your car. They claim to remove these metal particles, but as usual, just a claim.

One reason why I call a rusty old 81 Ford pickup loaded with manure in the bed with a good drive train, a luxury vehicle. Stinks so bad, no one will park next to it, and if hit by stones, another rust hole doesn't make any difference.

Still say, new cars are made for the showroom, maybe one of these days we will get wise and leave them there. Been that way since I can remember. Then they had to nerve to say your second most important investment, ha, better off to invest in an oil field in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had a chip in my front passenger door 3 days after I bought the car. But that's more because the roads here are terrible. So far no chipping though along the rear door edges. /knockonwood

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
I hope that Chevy is actually going to take responsibility and repair the damage. The chipping on my Eco is terrible an Chevy Customer Service is really giving me the run around via a poorly scripted generic answer. Very frustrated. I have owned 3 toyotas and never felt as though a company didn't cared so little about my concerns as does Chevy...

If this is a known design flaw, could you please reference any factual information that I could forward to Chevy? Thanks
Here's a bit of advice when dealing with customer support. If the 1st level customer support can't help you, ask to speak to a manager, and keep on going up until you find someone who can help you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts