Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up fellas. So I've just had my first big issue with the diesel and am going back to dealer to talk with them today. I'll keep everyone posted on how everything goes. So my engine light came on a month ago and I rode it out hoping it would correct itself. Unfortunately it didn't and I got the dreaded 60 miles till speed is limited to 65mph. Took to dealer yesterday and the exhaust became disconnected where the particular filter and exhaust meet under the car directly beneath the shifter. The studs that are welder to the filter snapped off leaving my exhaust to just hang there. 170 dollars for dealership to fix. Once fixed 3 codes were fixed but 2 codes for the nox sensor didn't go away. Dealer wants me to agree to 2 hours so tech can inspect wiring,connections, etc to find problem and then contact gm to see if it's covered. Doubt it will be covered, odometer reads 62000 miles. Figured I'd post to see if anyone has any ideas why the 2 codes are still there. My guess is the sensors are built up because of the issue I had with exhaust being separated and driving a good month before taking in. The car was running great the whole time the check engine light was on and didn't sound any louder. so just guessing that eventually the regens weren't affective and caused the limit to 65 mph after driving with problem. I'm gonna ask for a manual regen when I speak with them today before I buy new sensors and install myself. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Interesting.......you are the second forum diesel owner to have the studs rot off......first one reported about three weeks ago with pictures same as yours.......I think that one was operated in the salt belt as well.

Agree, btw......do a manual regen before changing parts.

Keep in touch.

Rob

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm taliking to dealer now. Wants 2 hours to do so I'm taking home and talk to some other dealers to confirm amount of time aND price to do manual

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. Nox sensor codes for Performance cleared after the exhaust was fixed. 2 codes for nox Sensor communinications wouldn't clear and I held off on the manual regen. The limited speed at 65mph is gone though so if anyone knows if it will regen on its own or is the manual regen required because communication code is still active

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Wow, I better get under there and check mine! If your soot is under 32 grams it should regen on its own. Not sure if you have a gauge hooked up to monitor it. If you are 32 or higher, you have no choice but a manual.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
1 thing I would recommend to everyone is get under ur cruze and spray those 2 studs with wd40 to prevent rust from weakening those studs. Should help.
I just looked under mine and it would appear as if they are hanging by a thread. Guess I am going to need to make a dealer appointment to have this addressed. Can you post the info from your repair order including part numbers and details? That will make it much easier for me (and no doubt others) to present to their dealers.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I just looked under mine and it would appear as if they are hanging by a thread. Guess I am going to need to make a dealer appointment to have this addressed. Can you post the info from your repair order including part numbers and details? That will make it much easier for me (and no doubt others) to present to their dealers.
Oh my, I've been through 2 winters now with my Diesel. I'll be promptly having a peek at mine as well. Sounds like a poor choice of bolts to me.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the DPF. I think the DPF is behind the radiator.
Your correct. That is not the DPF in the picture, but the resonator. The DPF is right after the turbo in front of the engine.

The exhaust being apart in this section would not affect the sensor readings or the regen cycles directly.
However, the sensors in the pipe just up stream could have been exposed to the elements and become damaged over time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, I better get under there and check mine! If your soot is under 32 grams it should regen on its own. Not sure if you have a gauge hooked up to monitor it. If you are 32 or higher, you have no choice but a manual.
Ok thanks I don't have anything to monitor it. Anyway to check without having that gauge. Might have to install a gauge

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Text Receipt Paper Font Document

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So my next question is has anyone had a manual regen done and if so how long did it take and what was the price? Also can it be done other than the dealer if they are wanting to much to perform the manual regen.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If your not in power reduced mode you dont need a manual regen.
Drive down the highway at 2500 rpm for 30 mins.
Thats just me though.

Edit.

I am going to check my bolts as well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If your not in power reduced mode you dont need a manual regen.
Drive down the highway at 2500 rpm for 30 mins.
Thats just me though.

Edit.

I am going to check my bolts as well.
Ok I'm taking a 90 min trip on highway tommorrow so well see. Just want them 2 codes for the nox sensors gone. Might have to replace if they don't go away. And yes def check the studs and if u deal with salt in winter spray with some wd40 or something for rust prevention. Cant wait till u guys get to see the new diesel. You will be impressed with the thought and changes they did on new one.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I
Reading the tech's notes, the tech did a lot more than reconnect the exhaust pipe. All of your broken wires could be because of the exhaust pipe moving up & down as you drove. So the pipe falls down and takes some sensors with it.
Yes that's why when diesel said post the part numbers I just snapped a pic of all of it in case someone could help me out with what might need changed. They said they fixed the ignition wire that was broke. Thanks for your help

1 - 20 of 107 Posts