Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
One thing that caught me by surprise is the Dexos R oil on that page.

an optional premium engine oil that further withstands the rigors of high speed, high load conditions which occur during towing, or performance driving

Oh, so they finally figured out that maybe some people need a heavier oil that doesn't thin out too much when it gets really hot?

[looks at Dexos R page, finds a single 0W-40 oil approved]

Hah, wow!

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
finds a single 0W-40 oil approved
IIRC that is the oil for C8 Corvettes
So I'd say ,mystery solved ;)

I hear you on the oil, but here comes the truth bomb. IMHO GM has taken the brunt of most every crazy California or Federal green fuel saving environmental BS idea some unicorn ever thought of. And if running thin oil gets 0.4% better fuel economy, they pretty much have to do it. In my book it all kind of started with the whole EV-1 fiasco. And going back to the C8, many people have been whining about how little life they get of their brake pads. Well guess what, California mandated the removal of copper from them. So now everyone has to deal with crappy brakes because of California law. 😈 Its interesting how GM gets blamed for ignorant politicians. Don't get me started :eek::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
When doing oil changes back in the day (my job during college) I had a few customers who swore by using Castrol 20W-50. That was some oil thicker than Kim K's backside! If it filled up their Chevy small-block to where the oil pressure light doesn't flicker at idle (because they've got 200,000 miles of wear and everything is just so worn out that it won't hold oil pressure at idle), go ahead and do that. I'd really only recommend that oil if you live in Southern Florida, because it has to be terrible at cold start trying to pump that thick oil through everything!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put some in my car about 3 weeks ago, I found it on Amazon, It's listed as
Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil 5 QT (Packaging May Vary)

So far, I've noticed nothing new lol.
I was excited to try it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far, I've noticed nothing new lol.
That is the oil I'm running right now. 😊 Well, the Gen2 version.
I tried it on recommendation from my mechanic buddy. I researched it, Valvoline pays a lot of attention to timing chain wear. (y)

Honestly with all my bouncing around I really think Pennzoil Platinum is the best oil. I have two reasons for this, the oil actually smells good. Most oil smells like ass, this stuff smells like freshly pressed olive oil from Tuscany. 😆 The other is, my engine runs noticeably smoother on it.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Amsoil sent out an email saying that LSPI is still a problem. And that the new spec isn't the fix that was hoped for.

If you all researched. Gen3 improves LSPI at the expense of sludge and wear protection. And according to amsoil. It's not improved.

Glad I stocked up on gen2. I'm good for 4 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the oil actually smells good. Most oil smells like ass, this stuff smells like freshly pressed olive oil from Tuscany.
Hahaha.
I will say though, the heathier I eat, the worse my toots smell (maybe there is just more farts?). So maybe if that oil change smells especially bad, you know it's the good stuff. Maybe too much information too.

It's strange how the GM website lists all the vendors of Gen3, but it was a challenge to even find it on Amazon a month ago or so. Hopefully its the final ingredient to hit over 150,000 miles in a Cruze. I'm mostly kidding in saying that.

·
Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,126 Posts
Amsoil sent out an email saying that LSPI is still a problem. And that the new spec isn't the fix that was hoped for.

If you all researched. Gen3 improves LSPI at the expense of sludge and wear protection. And according to amsoil. It's not improved.

Glad I stocked up on gen2. I'm good for 4 years.
I did research it. Seems like it may be you who didn’t. Or wasn’t able to comprehend what you researched. It’s better all around.

Eye Human body Slope Plot Triangle

·
Registered
3,916 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,126 Posts
I got an actual article with words. When I researched.
You pulled up a picture. Was that before or after I brought it up?
It was before. I researched this months ago before it came out. Just figured I would comment on the post as I saw misinformation being posted. Theres a link there that you can click and educate yourself. Not sure why you have trouble admitting defeat. 🤭

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's very possible. It's the oil I used in my Mazda RX-7 because that engine consumed a quart every 200 miles. I could buy Castrol by the case and put a quart in at every fuel stop.
Castrol 20W-50 oil is really thick oil when compared to other motor oils, no doubt. However, when you compare that to how thick KK's backside is, that is just crazy talk. In her prime she could walk across a room with a full tray of drinks perched on her backside, there is no competing with that! :ROFLMAO::devilish:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's strange how the GM website lists all the vendors of Gen3, but it was a challenge to even find it on Amazon a month ago or so. Hopefully its the final ingredient to hit over 150,000 miles in a Cruze. I'm mostly kidding in saying that.
I know, right. There have been hints of the new standard for over a year now, but almost no information. Now almost overnight, gen3 oil and info exploded. hehe

Personally, I don't think my car will have any big issues before 150K. Sure the cooling system will have a couple failures. :rolleyes: And at some point I'll have to put in a PCV fix kit. :LOL:
But the core engine itself is solid. And IMHO the transmissions made from about 2013 and forward are solid. Who knows maybe this car will last as a DD until I retire, after which I might be given the honor to buy an EV for $200K that probably won't even make it through one Wisconsin winter. :cry:

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
It was before. I researched this months ago before it came out. Just figured I would comment on the post as I saw misinformation being posted. Theres a link there that you can click and educate yourself. Not sure why you have trouble admitting defeat. 🤭
Looks like YOU were defeated
The story that goes with your picture.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts