Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
dexos1 - Pennzoil Platinum and QS Ultimate Durability

FYI, anyone wondering if the "old stock" on the shelves that has no dexos1 symbol is OK to use.... it is. See email I sent to Shell and their response below:

to pqsandcarcaret.
show details 7:38 PM (13 hours ago)
[email protected]
dateMon, Apr 18, 2011 at 7:38 PM
subjectPenzzoil Platinum (or Quaker State Ultimate Durability)
mailed-bygmail.com
hide details 7:38 PM (13 hours ago)
Hi there,
I am a long time user of Pennzoil Platinum in my present and past vehicles. I recently purchased a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze which requires dexos1 certified oil. I know that Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30 grades have this certification. The problem I am having is finding jugs on the store shelf with the dexos1 symbol. I have checked various Canadian Tire and Walmart stores to no avail.
Did these oils undergo a reformulation to be dexos1 certified or does the present stock on the store shelves (without the actual dexos1 symbol) certified to the spec as well?
Best regards,
Dundas, Ontario, Canada.

Response:

[email protected]
dateTue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:05 AM
subjectRe: Penzzoil Platinum (or Quaker State Ultimate Durability)
hide details 9:05 AM (7 minutes ago)
Dear Consumer,
Thank you for your inquiry. You are correct, the current Pennzoil
Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate durability 5W-30 does meet the
Dexos1 specifications. We have not put the Dexos1 labeling on the
product at the moment. Based on current Dexos requirements, we will
not place the symbol on until October 2011.
As for formulation changes, our product meets all specs as is. Thus,
it is the same product on the shelf right now.
Should you need further assistance, please contact us at 800-Best Oil
(237-8645) option 42.
Regards,
Technical Service, sn

So there you go..... good to go with the stuff on the shelf, looks like they won't be labelling it until late in the year as well.

Burt :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Cool; I haven't received a response from my query to Mobil1...

·
Registered
57 Posts
mobil one as well as castrol both have new bottles and yes they are different formulations mobil has a green dexos logo right on the front of the new bottle also "castrol syntec" has changed to "castrol edge with syntec" and has dexos listed on the back of the new bottle also if there is a question look for the GF 5 rating versus the GF4 rating this will also tell you that it is the new formulation

·
Registered
277 Posts
mobil one as well as castrol both have new bottles and yes they are different formulations mobil has a green dexos logo right on the front of the new bottle also "castrol syntec" has changed to "castrol edge with syntec" and has dexos listed on the back of the new bottle also if there is a question look for the GF 5 rating versus the GF4 rating this will also tell you that it is the new formulation
If I'm understanding the oil world correctly, GF-5 and Dexos1 are standards which oil manufacturers test against and receive certification. That doesn't necessarily mean that they had to change the ingrediations/formulation of a particular existing product to meet the certification requirements. You are assuming that the new logos mean that the forumulations are different.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...dexos1™ is a "test specification" only, so if the "old" oil passes the "tests" the oil company does nothing except add "...dexos1 compliant..." wording to the label (after paying GM it's "...license..." fee.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...notice, however, the copyright date is 2009 for that listing, not 2011, so it is NOT current!

...you'll find more current information by simply GOOGLING the respective familiar brand-name oils that you used to use.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If I'm understanding the oil world correctly, GF-5 and Dexos1 are standards which oil manufacturers test against and receive certification. That doesn't necessarily mean that they had to change the ingrediations/formulation of a particular existing product to meet the certification requirements. You are assuming that the new logos mean that the forumulations are different.
yes i am assuming that it is a new formulation it could very well be the old formulation stamped with the new cert there's just not much way of knowing that without seeing the test results and the exact formula.....either way just throwing out there what i had found on the shelves

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Castrol Syntec synthetic is G5 compliant.
...but, (playing Devils' Advocate here) being G5 compliant is not necessarily being dexos1 compliant!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes i am assuming that it is a new formulation it could very well be the old formulation stamped with the new cert there's just not much way of knowing that without seeing the test results and the exact formula.....either way just throwing out there what i had found on the shelves
This is the very reason I had posted this thread, to let everyone know that the old bottles of PP and QS Ultimate Durability in 5W30 do in fact meet the dexos1 spec, and are approved for use. Thus there was no formula change...

Burt :)

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
5W-30 Shell Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability are currently NOT GM approved Dexos oils. Nowhere on their websites does it state they are GM Dexos approved. It only says it exceeds Dexos spec.-that is just their opinion, not GMs approval. Nowhere on their containers does it state they are approved, or even mention the word Dexos. They are on a two year old GM approval list, so maybe at one time they were approved, but not now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts