Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever wonder *why* the digital MPH (DIC) and analog MPH (speedo) numbers sometimes don't seem to agree?

Quoted from Jan'14 GM TechLink website article:

"The specification for speedometer needle accuracy is +/– 2 MPH at any given speed when looking straight at the needle."

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Thus the old rule of thumb that police used to use +2 MPH for "complying" with a posted speed limit.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
...ah-h-h-h, but that's with BRAND new tires having the exactly correct diameter!

However, my *point* was: DIC is more correct than the stepper-motor driven speedo!
And, if you wish to make your brain smoke further and have a thread starter......take your GPS along and check your speed.

None will read the same.......which one do you want to trust?
Oh, the agony.....decisions decisions.

Heh heh,
Rob

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
And, if you wish to make your brain smoke further and have a thread starter......take your GPS along and check your speed.

None will read the same.......which one do you want to trust?
Oh, the agony.....decisions decisions.

Heh heh,
Rob
Been there done that...

·
Super Moderator
5,148 Posts
Thus the old rule of thumb that police used to use +2 MPH for "complying" with a posted speed limit.
2 MPH? most all tickets I have received, the copy always said they let it go up to +15. Ergo never received a ticket for anything less than +15. Typically never realize I am going that fast 2 begin with. Last weekend going to Knoxville, I looked down only to find out I was doing 97. 97!!! couldn't tell I was going that fast!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts