Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Interesting. The battery was "dead", but changing it didn't fix anything. I'd check to make sure you still have a good charge on the current battery - to make sure whatever killed the last one isn't still draining the new one.

Off the top of my head, a U0100 isn't usual when there's been a power problem or you've had things apart trying to fix stuff. But it could be an indication that something important (like the ECM) has died.

· Premium Member
7,556 Posts
I think the first thing I'd do after making sure the battery has a good charge is to clear all the code. Then immediately look to verify what got cleared, then try again and see what new codes got set. The codes set when the battery died could lead you astray. Right now, we want to know the codes that will return.

· Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Code U0100 is "lost communication with the ECM". That's an issue. It might be no power to the ECM, a bad ECM or a damaged data cable. But if the BCM can't talk to the ECM, you're going nowhere because that's how the start command is sent - not by a dedicated wire, but by data stream.

· Premium Member
7,556 Posts
If the ECU dies, the engine dies. My theory is the battery opened up and caused a system overvoltage that zapped the ECU.

Edit: Looking around, the street price on a new ECU is low to mid one hundred. So, I'd expect the dealer price to not exceed $200 for the part.

1 - 4 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.