Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,
New member here - first post. I've been a long standing VW diesel driver - with great results on longevity and fuel efficiency.
  • 1993 diesel Golf retired at 395,000km
  • 2001 diesel Jetta retired at 485,000km
  • 2010 diesel Jetta still going at 400,000km

So - with 400,000km on my current ride, who knows if VW will even be able to sell another diesel by the time I need to replace it. Who knows if I'd want it? I want to break a half million km with it, but I need to research a replacement and plan as if it will die tomorrow.

My questions becomes - is a diesel Cruze a viable replacement for me? My first concern is longevity over everything else. Second place concern is fuel efficiency. No point saving money on fuel, only to replace the vehicle every every 100,000km...

As you can see - I'm a high mileage driver averaging around 70-75,000km a year. 90%+ of that is highway driving - where the diesels excel and the hybrids are just gas cars with batteries as heavy cargo.

Interested in your opinions. No better source than current Cruze owners! Would you buy it again if someone gave your money back?

Sean.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
The CTD hasn't been around that long. Also, there is no North American diesel Cruze for 2016.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G'day,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the european version of the diesel Cruze has been around for some time longer than in North America?

Yeah - read that on the 2016. Apparently 2017 (late 2016) will see the introduction of a new 1.6L diesel instead of the 2.0? In the short term - I can still put my hands on a 2015.

Sean.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
G'day,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the european version of the diesel Cruze has been around for some time longer than in North America?

Yeah - read that on the 2016. Apparently 2017 (late 2016) will see the introduction of a new 1.6L diesel instead of the 2.0? In the short term - I can still put my hands on a 2015.

Sean.
Correct on both counts. However, the North American diesel is not the same as the diesel sold anywhere else in the world.

·
Registered
346 Posts
G'day,
New member here - first post. I've been a long standing VW diesel driver - with great results on longevity and fuel efficiency.

So - with 400,000km on my current ride, who knows if VW will even be able to sell another diesel by the time I need to replace it. Who knows if I'd want it? I want to break a half million km with it, but I need to research a replacement and plan as if it will die tomorrow.

My questions becomes - is a diesel Cruze a viable replacement for me? My first concern is longevity over everything else. Second place concern is fuel efficiency. No point saving money on fuel, only to replace the vehicle every every 100,000km...

As you can see - I'm a high mileage driver averaging around 70-75,000km a year. 90%+ of that is highway driving - where the diesels excel and the hybrids are just gas cars with batteries as heavy cargo.

Interested in your opinions. No better source than current Cruze owners! Would you buy it again if someone gave your money back?

Sean.
Sean, it's a beautiful vehicle in all aspects, i had same questions before I decided to go with CTD, i already have 6000km with it and runs perfectly, i was a huge admirer of vw-audi but in time i've changed my perception, please keep in mind that this particular vehicle it's actually an Opel and its engine is made in Keizerslautern Germany. If you stick with its oil specs and fluids I am sure we'll breack the half milion barrier, welcome to the forum. There is a member here who actually reached i believe 140,000km, Diesel. :)

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
GM has put great effort into the cruze in north America, it offers better feel of luxury and more thought in the making of the car then VW. Vw is 100% pulling out of diesel market any way in favor of electric so now more or less you will be stuck with chevy in the next 5 years

Reactions: pacolino

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a 2014 that just turned 20k miles. So far it has been a good car. Smooth, quiet, and very fuel efficient. Compared to VW longevity not really sure... I know the VW diesel tends to be on the reliable side. The rest of the VW most likely will fall apart around it. The GM 2.0 Diesel has been used in Europe for several years, and seems to be pretty reliable. The engine does have a timing belt so that maintenance expense will have to be budgeted for. The emission control system is pretty complex, and the sample size is very small for those that complain on the board, but some have experienced problems with sensors and the DEF tank. So far mine has been good to go. GM went with an Aisin 6 speed transmission. Same transmission as they put in some of the small Cadillac SUV's. I think the car was well thought out, appears to be engineered well and GM has come a long way with fit and finish. I have a 35 mile commute (One way). I do hit some stop and go traffic. My commute, with traffic, I average 37-41 MPG. The best MPG I've hit over a 50 mile run was 48.9MPG. It has not gone on an extended interstate trip as of yet. It will be in December, looking forward to see how it does on an extended highway trip.

Another thing to consider is there are a gazillion gas Cruze's on the roads and the dealers are pretty familiar with them. The CTD is pretty uncommon and I wonder if the dealers will gain enough experience to properly troubleshoot and work on these cars over the long haul. As we all know there are good dealer service depts and some that are clueless.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Great car. I got it fresh off the factory line. It was diverted from its intended dealership to my local dealer. I've heard of some people having problems with theirs that have been sitting on dealer lots for long periods of time or have just gone out for short runs and that isn't good for the emissions system. If you decide to go with the diesel Cruze, that is a minor detail in my opinion to watch out for.

As I said, got mine fresh off the factory line back in August of 2014. A little over a year of ownership and I now have 21,000km with my only problem being a sidemarker light that randomly broke and fell out of the bumper. I've kept up on my oil changes and really that's the only thing that's been done to it so far in terms of regular maintenance. I'm on the same factory filled tank of DEF fluid and it doesn't seem like I'll need to top that up anytime soon. I went on a road trip with it earlier this year (mostly highway) and my highest was 58MPG highway. I drive it a little harder in the city sometimes where I am mostly taking it around now and I am getting a little under 40MPG. I became slightly concerned after reading all of the problems people were having with their diesels after driving them mostly in the city. As you mentioned you will be doing mostly highway driving so it won't be a problem. I personally haven't had any problems with it being a city driver for the time being. I have a gauge for it to monitor regens and as long as those complete their proper cycle, it seems to keep it happy.

The transmission is definitely the most manual feeling automatic transmission I personally have ever driven and probably ever will drive. I really like the way it feels, have become very used to it and honestly would hate to give it up!

The diesel comes standard with the more premium package such as the leather seats and alloy wheels which really makes it a premium feeling car and comfortable and stylish to drive in my opinion. The options I went for in mine was the crystal-red tint coat, cocoa leather interior, convenience package (auto-dimming rearview mirror and illuminated vanity mirrors), and the safety package (blind-spot monitoring and backup-sensors).

Overall it's a pretty powerful and fun to drive economy car that I'm sure you'll enjoy should you decide to pick one up. I think I enjoy driving mine just as much if not more than the day I got it.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
the body and interior have been around a long time, millions of cruzes
the trans is solid and proven, used in dozens of models
the motor is solid and proven, see europe

the emissions is unproven....mix of good luck and bad luck on here...mostly good, but some catastrophic failures indeed
dealers and higher ups dont know how to fix the emissions, parts arent readily available, etc....

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The transmission is definitely the most manual feeling automatic transmission I personally have ever driven and probably ever will drive. I really like the way it feels, have become very used to it and honestly would hate to give it up!
the only thing i would say anoyes me is that in second gear it slips the trans because you can feel it shift to second and hit a certain rpm then lock up. feels like im keeping my foot resting on the clutch.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
G'day,

Sean.
Welcome to the forum! I have 142K miles on mine and it continues to be a reliable daily driver (not perfect, mind you). I have written up my detailed experiences once I hit 50K and 100K and posted them on here if you want to read my detailed reviews. I would recommend the car to anybody.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
diesel - I will definitely read your detailed reviews. Thanks you for the note.

everyone - Thank you very much for your feedback. I appreciate the real world views.

If anyone is interested - here is the short list of what I would consider if my current ride retired tomorrow:
  • Jetta TDI: Hard to turn your back on experience. My VW diesels have been literally bulletproof. Great car despite the unethical behaviour of the company. I would consider a newish used one, or a new one if they are selling again.
  • Cruze TD: I love diesels. I took one of these for a ride - fit and finish were nice, ride was great. Cost is similar to the VW. This is literally the only diesel passenger car alternative to a VW. Chevrolet needs to jump up and down and make some noise on this. They can pick up a lot of disgruntled VW owners over the next year. Crying shame they won't have a 2016 model. Terrible choice in hindsight...
  • Chevy Volt: This one is a bit of a wild card for me, but I'm very intrigued by the technology and the economics. My commute distance would fit within the electric range of the vehicle (most of the time), and I have access to free charging at work. The big unknown for me here is longevity.
  • Mazda 3 GS: This is the cheapest car on my list, but it has a pretty nice feature set, and decent mileage numbers for a gasser. A 500,000km car? Hard to say, but Mazda's new unlimited mileage warranty (3yr / 5yr) provides a bit of a safety blanket if I chose this route. https://www.mazda.ca/en/warranty/mazda-unlimited-warranty/ . That would essentially turn my 5 year powertrain warranty into a 400,000km warranty.

Sean.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Mazda's new unlimited mileage warranty (3yr / 5yr) provides a bit of a safety blanket if I chose this route.

Sean.
interesting. Only US companies offering that are Bentley, Rolls Royce and Ferrari that I know of.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Chevy Volt: This one is a bit of a wild card for me, but I'm very intrigued by the technology and the economics. My commute distance would fit within the electric range of the vehicle (most of the time), and I have access to free charging at work. The big unknown for me here is longevity.
i vote against it. in 10 years what will become of the battarie packs? will cost 10,000 to replace and car will be worth 9,000

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
While the original plan was for the new generation Cruze diesel to come out in 2017, that was before the whole VW scandal. (The second generation gas Cruze comes out mid-2016MY, so the diesel is only a half-year behind.) I think it remains to be seen if the damage is limited to VW or if it will taint all diesel cars. While I'm sure high-mileage drivers will continue to look at diesel, I think the ecological-minded drivers are likely to be pulled toward the electrics and plug-in hybrids.

You might do well to keep the volt in mind, as that may be where the crowd is going. That would give you more part and servicing options.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
There is a member somewhere on here who came from a TDI, went to a CTD, then went back to a TDI and then came back to a CTD.

So you wouldn't be the first (or second) TDI conquest.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
85,000 miles so far , still love to drive the car.. 1 bad wheel hub sensor in the first month but no problems since.. Smallish back seat but I have a larger vehicle for passengers..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts