Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At this point I think its deserving of its own thread.

To those of you unaware, tuning the Diesel Cruze is a bit tricky because well, its protected. Like really protected. Some people managed to get past these protections like Fleece, Trifecta, and DuramaxTuner. Sadly they won't share :( .

WELL needless to say I made Trifecta share. Now the legality of that is kind of grey. I obviously won't release their tune or my methods of getting them, but the stock file is.... A different story.... Does Trifecta own it? No, but they spent thousands to get it in the first place. My inner lawyer (not a lawyer) would claim Trifecta only owns the modifications they do. Even then, say I did release the files. We'd see everyone and their dog offering tunes for the Cruze. And that's not something I want to happen out of respect for the people who read the ECU legitimately.

Anyway, I'm still thinking on that one. I made some quick documentation to go over what I have done thus far in terms of mapping out the ECM. Figured some of you may find it interesting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1G4P68q0FbjTE03R2Y2Z0N2dk0/view?usp=sharing

Always looking for help. If you are proficient with Assembly and are willing to take up a challenge, then you have a new best friend.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Would be nice if there was a way to activate a manual regen if needed.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would be nice if there was a way to activate a manual regen if needed.
It could be the same as the LMM diesel. In fact it probably is. But I have no idea where that information is, I only know doing a manual regen on those is possible with certain tools.

If its not the same, I wouldn't expect that to happen ever. Any device claiming to do manual regens would just spit back an error.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Can you explain to me why we have to be hooked up to the "GM Cloud" in order for a manual regen to happen? I do not understand why things like that can't be standalone.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Im a proud Diesel owner and Fleece tune user and i can say one conclusion about my experience : Not worth it. :signs053:

Unless you're willing to remove ALL the anti-polution devices on the exhaust, you can forget about it.

Why? Because of the soot build-up.

With Fleece, you have 3 tunes : 30, 40 and 50hp. The result is this :

- The 50hp is epic, punchy, powerfull and bring the car to a performance lvl near a stock GTI, very impressive. But because of the soot, you can use it in normal/aggressive driving for a couple of hour only before you get reduced power and check engine lights.

- The 40hp is about the same as the 50hp, but alot less punchy and powerfull, but you still get reduced power when pushing hard real soon. Imo the worst tune of the 3.

- The 30hp is the best, always performing the same, no check engine and decent performance. The main problem is that the power and driveablility is so close to stock that paying what Fleece is askin isnt worth it.

If i could go back in time, i would stay stock, especialy since as a Canadian, i paid, with the export and exchange rate more then 1100$ for the tune.

The ONLY Cruze Diesel tune that is worth it imo is someone that go straith-pipe from the Turbo to the back with the equivalent of the 50hp Fleece tune.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Can you explain to me why we have to be hooked up to the "GM Cloud" in order for a manual regen to happen? I do not understand why things like that can't be standalone.
Dealership $$$

·
Registered
706 Posts
the only real thing stopping me from really buying a tune is say you run the tune and "clog" your dpf now your off to gm if we could do a manual regen to get it cleaned then i would be more onboard.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
straith-pipe from the Turbo to the back
:)

Really just milking money. GM also switched to a newer style for diagnosing in 2013 called the MDI. It replaced the old Tech 2 system which has been around for ages. I don't exactly have all the details but I am guessing the MDI costs around $1,000. Otherwise, a China ripoff could maybe slack it down to less than $400 but I would tread carefully on that one. Then you would still need access to the actual software which is subscription based. You can find info on that here https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome

Once you've got that, then you can do your service regen or idle regen as it may be called. A bunch of other neat tricks as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My brother in law has a Cummins diesel straight truck and it offers a driver actuated regen where a light goes on and he has the option to regen then or if not, the system will do it for him later. He laughed at idea that we'd have to take a car in for a manual regen since he always had the option to do it once the light comes on. Why did Chevy make it so difficult??

Reactions: Snipesy

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Probably a case of sales overruling engineering. A regen light/switch would just confuse the customer.
Yeah it would confuse the gas market but I balk at the fact that it would confuse someone willingly buying a diesel vehicle. Everyone knows we're complete wierdos from the start and would welcome it! :)

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Maybe someone from GM will read this thread and engineer it in to the new one, but I am not holding my breath.

As for the manual regens "in the cloud" I wonder if this type of thing will render our cars unuseable after the 10 year support period by GM.

·
Registered
246 Posts
dont understand that

they make it so you cant shift into X gear at X rpm

so make it so you cant regen unless certain parameters are met

/problem

If we can figure it out from a Scangauge, they certainly could put on a red/yellow/green light for regen status. When my BIL light goes on, sometimes he's stopped idling making a delivery and he'll turn on regen when he gets moving on road again. His does it about once a week or every 1000 miles and says the truck makes a deep rumble. If he fails to do it, then the light comes on and truck does it by itself.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Probably a case of sales overruling engineering. A regen light/switch would just confuse the customer.
Yeah...there are enough idiots out there that can't comprehend how to change a flat tire. (True the Diesel cruze has no spare). They wouldn't know what a regen is or why they would have to do it and would probibly take it to the dealer anyway "because some light is on" or put a piece of tape over it.

I agree...just a way to get a few more bucks out of you somehow.

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
I don't believe in cloud storage/computing for my personal use, because I don't like not having control of my hardware. But from a corporate viewpoint, cloud makes a lot of sense, from a version control and distribution perspective. I'm a software engineer, and configuration management is by far the most painful aspect of this job. GM being able to update files in a central location and forcing every service site to use it guarantees that every car is using the same software on the road. It makes troubleshooting a whole **** of a lot easier when you know exactly what your starting point is.

It's what makes Apple software so easy to write and update...everyone has the same thing so compatibility is not an issue.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I don't believe in cloud storage/computing for my personal use, because I don't like not having control of my hardware. But from a corporate viewpoint, cloud makes a lot of sense, from a version control and distribution perspective. I'm a software engineer, and configuration management is by far the most painful aspect of this job. GM being able to update files in a central location and forcing every service site to use it guarantees that every car is using the same software on the road. It makes troubleshooting a whole **** of a lot easier when you know exactly what your starting point is.

It's what makes Apple software so easy to write and update...everyone has the same thing so compatibility is not an issue.
at work we were using a non updated version of diagnostic software for detroit diesel

various field mechanics would give us their log ins so we were able to keep access to it

we were able to diagnose and repair and reset things, etc...and as long as the laptop wasnt connected to web, all was good....we got things passed thru as warranty etc

then someone connected to the web, and lotsa info was then available to detroit and they saw what we had done, many times causing further problems , and then the warranty coverages became waaaaaaay less frequent, lol

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You guys turned this into a GM rant.

I still haven't even flashed the file in yet to you know... See if it even works! Be embarrassing if it didnt. All the work for nothing. Tough to justify flipping the switch when it only has 5K miles.
Any volunteers?
No?
:uhh:

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
You guys turned this into a GM rant.

I still haven't even flashed the file in yet to you know... See if it even works! Be embarrassing if it didnt. All the work for nothing. Tough to justify flipping the switch when it only has 5K miles.
Any volunteers?
No?
:uhh:
I will enjoy watching from the sidelines. :)

Reactions: KpaxFAQ and _MerF_
1 - 20 of 123 Posts