Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Diesel Cruze Tuning Project

60528 144
At this point I think its deserving of its own thread.

To those of you unaware, tuning the Diesel Cruze is a bit tricky because well, its protected. Like really protected. Some people managed to get past these protections like Fleece, Trifecta, and DuramaxTuner. Sadly they won't share :( .

WELL needless to say I made Trifecta share. Now the legality of that is kind of grey. I obviously won't release their tune or my methods of getting them, but the stock file is.... A different story.... Does Trifecta own it? No, but they spent thousands to get it in the first place. My inner lawyer (not a lawyer) would claim Trifecta only owns the modifications they do. Even then, say I did release the files. We'd see everyone and their dog offering tunes for the Cruze. And that's not something I want to happen out of respect for the people who read the ECU legitimately.

Anyway, I'm still thinking on that one. I made some quick documentation to go over what I have done thus far in terms of mapping out the ECM. Figured some of you may find it interesting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1G4P68q0FbjTE03R2Y2Z0N2dk0/view?usp=sharing

Always looking for help. If you are proficient with Assembly and are willing to take up a challenge, then you have a new best friend.
101 - 120 of 145 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Reactions: gammey4

· Registered
13 Posts
Snipesy,

Thank You Thank you Thank YOU
:bowing::bowing::bowing:

I was going either trade my Chevy Crud TD in at a huge lo$$ or set it on fire.

thank you for your hard efforts

· Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
working on tuning the 2015 CTD with Snipeys CAX and EFI Live

My cruise had / has huge drivabilty issues
after several dealerships telling me there is nothing wrong with it :th_down:
it was time to jump into the big end of the pool

I have made huge progress, but
have some questions,

-is the factory oxygen sensor reliable for tuning purposes?

-is there a goal fuel ratios I should be looking for light throttle and boost?

You modify the smoke limiters, that's pretty much the only tables the O2 sensor relies on. Lower number = richer. 1.1 Is usually safe min for 'economy' .9 for performance.

Although these are just limits. So even if its .9 it can still run at 1.7 if thats what the tune asks for.

-the turbos VTG is used in place of a waste gate? correct?

Yes. No wastegate.

-99DC means no boost and 0% DC is full turbo boost potential?

You mean VGT Position?

At 95% vane position, there is higher backpressure which helps spin the turbo faster. However at high vane position there isn't much throughput.

That's why when building boost its a a very % and low % afterward.

-at lower RPMs is there a sweet spot DC like say 60% that matches the volume of air the turbo is moving?

-How do you know what mode the ECU is in for fuel and timing delivery / lookup?
-any general guide lines on were to set the timing?

You really don't. Mode 0 is usually the 'normal' state. While anything else is used for regens, warming up, etc.

anyone that wants to swap or trade info or files let me know :tututtongue4:

· Registered
13 Posts
Snipsey

Wow you are fast!

>>You modify the smoke limiters, that's pretty much the only tables the O2 sensor relies on. Lower number = richer. 1.1 Is usually safe min for 'economy' .9 for performance.
Although these are just limits. So even if its .9 it can still run at 1.7 if thats what the tune asks for.<<

ok that makes sense

Yes. No wastegate.

-99DC means no boost and 0% DC is full turbo boost potential?

You mean VGT Position?

Yes Variable Geometry Turbo.
Sorry Diesel is not my normal sandbox.

>>At 95% vane position, there is higher backpressure which helps spin the turbo faster. However at high vane position there isn't much throughput.

That's why when building boost its a a very % and low % afterward.<<

OK it is a a balance of putting your thumb over the end of the garden hose while working the spigot. :tempted:

>>You really don't. Mode 0 is usually the 'normal' state. While anything else is used for regens, warming up, etc.<<

OK got it Mode 0 is were 95% of the driving is going to happen.

Thanks!

· Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Generally the VGT positions are kind of only used when the car has nothing better to do (if that makes sense).

The actual VGT position is going to be based on the desired boost tables, and the position is calculated for you to get to the desired boost the quickest / maintain.

· Registered
13 Posts
>>VGT positions are kind of only used when the car has nothing better to do (if that makes sense).<<

Could we say that the VGT position tables are the default or park position.?
Then the ECU shoots for the desired boost using the default VGT position as that starting point and the desired boost as the destination?

· Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
>>VGT positions are kind of only used when the car has nothing better to do (if that makes sense).<<

Could we say that the VGT position tables are the default or park position.?
Then the ECU shoots for the desired boost using the default VGT position as that starting point and the desired boost as the destination?
Kind of yes. It's kind of unknown territory to me. I think the 'braking' table is actaully a max, even with desired boost.

· Registered
13 Posts
. I think the 'braking' table is actaully a max, even with desired boost.
I played with the Braking tables last night.
Normally my CTD will not build boost at the line and leave super soft.

Boosting at the line in 1st against the trans defiantly uses this table!:dazed052:

Changes to that table maybe reduced my 60' time by like .5 seconds or more
Because now I can build boost at the line on the foot brake.
Leaving at near full boost @ 2500RPM the 2.0L rapidly pulls thru first gear. :signs013:

· Registered
13 Posts
BTW what version EFILive should I use?
Does Beta V8.2 work for the CTD or are we still working in 7.5?

· Registered
101 Posts
wait till BCM Tuning comes out should follow same features as : GM BCM tuning for the 2007-2014 Gas/Diesel Trucks and SUV’s exclusively via the EFILive Tuning Platform.Standard features are listed below.
· Remote Vehicle Start Timer Extended to 32 min (21 min first start) (11min second start)
· (Unlimited Restarts and 40 min runtime Requires ECM cal update)
· LED turn signal compatibility (Eliminate fast flash when LED’s are installed)
· Add manual high-idle based on Cruise Control & Parking Brake (requires ECM reflash)
· Add Manual DRL Control for Canadian/Export Trucks (DRL Override)
· Add Manual Headlamp Control for Canadian/Export Trucks (Manually Override Headlights)
· Fog Lamps on with High Beams
· Door Chime Timer (Limits chime to 30 seconds per event)
· More custom features to follow
Users will need to have an unused EFILive TCM VIN license slot or purchase a new VIN license if no TCM slots are available to program the BCM.

· Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
wait till BCM Tuning comes out should follow same features as : GM BCM tuning for the 2007-2014 Gas/Diesel Trucks and SUV’s exclusively via the EFILive Tuning Platform.Standard features are listed below.
· Remote Vehicle Start Timer Extended to 32 min (21 min first start) (11min second start)
· (Unlimited Restarts and 40 min runtime Requires ECM cal update)
· LED turn signal compatibility (Eliminate fast flash when LED’s are installed)
· Add manual high-idle based on Cruise Control & Parking Brake (requires ECM reflash)
· Add Manual DRL Control for Canadian/Export Trucks (DRL Override)
· Add Manual Headlamp Control for Canadian/Export Trucks (Manually Override Headlights)
· Fog Lamps on with High Beams
· Door Chime Timer (Limits chime to 30 seconds per event)
· More custom features to follow
Users will need to have an unused EFILive TCM VIN license slot or purchase a new VIN license if no TCM slots are available to program the BCM.
BCM isn't really my territory so best of luck :).

· Registered
86 Posts
This has been my favorite thread so far. It looks like the thread died out in 2017 but has now two new 2021 posts. I think the companies that offered tuning products have dried up and newbies like myself are looking to this old thread more than ever. A free alternative tuning file that covers the basics is more relevant than ever. Thanks Snipesy.

101 - 120 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.