Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Diesel cruze turbo failure/ dpf full/ now runs like sh**

3401 Views 47 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Zdm_92
hey guys. Lurked here for a couple years but honestly never had much need for it as my car was bulletproof for a long time. Much like the rest of the world it seems to have lost its mind this past year, but I’ve kept fixing it as the used/new car markets are as awful as I can remember.
Anyhow the latest and greatest was a dpf & underboost warning. Replaced the turbo and have had the dpf manually regenerated twice. I cannot relay enough how gutless it is now, and the scanner would suggest boost is indeed way low. The dpf is also accumulating soot at an alarming rate but it’s running so crappy I’m not surprised.
Any best guesses as to what could be causing my P0299 with a brand new turbo. I’ve gone over everything twice and can’t seem to find a vacuum leak anywhere, but I’m open to any and all suggestion.
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I spoke to the manager of the parts department today and he said I could pay for the part, and it being back ordered would mean it would be some kind of case I forget the exact terminology. But there’s 50 such cases already so assuming I wanted to pony up the 1500 I would be 51st in line. Hopefully you’re a lot further up the list

· Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I spoke to the manager of the parts department today and he said I could pay for the part, and it being back ordered would mean it would be some kind of case I forget the exact terminology. But there’s 50 such cases already so assuming I wanted to pony up the 1500 I would be 51st in line. Hopefully you’re a lot further up the list
TBH unless there are chunks physically missing from the dpf it’s probably fine.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
TBH unless there are chunks physically missing from the dpf it’s probably fine.
I’m inclined to agree, but 2 independent mechanics and 2 dealers now are adamant it’s the dpf because it’s consistently throwing the p2002 code. They swear they’ve checked all the hoses, and I’ve replaced all the sensors at this point so they’re certain that is the fix. I can’t find a crack on the thing so I’m at a loss. I’m in the middle of building a house so I won’t have time to tear into it myself for a while. But I have a feeling it’s something else and I just can’t figure it out

· Registered
71 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck. Reading this **** and the current issues I'm having with this car- along with the previous emissions systems issues I've had with this car is why GM will never get another dime from me. I wonder if I'll be in the same boat to get a turbo? Die in Hell GM.

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,124 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck. Reading this **** and the current issues I'm having with this car- along with the previous emissions systems issues I've had with this car is why GM will never get another dime from me. I wonder if I'll be in the same boat to get a turbo? Die in Hell GM.
Ahh yes, because only GM vehicles are subject to issues like this.

There totally aren't supply chain issues literally everywhere right now.

Not.

Reactions: Tomko

· Registered
3 Posts
Nope. I had to wait on a nox sensor to come in, took 2 weeks. Nox position 2 finally gave all the way out. I also got the pressure sensor for the dpf to see if that resolves the P2002. The shop is currently changing the nox sensor and I’ll go from there. I’m just waiting to hear that I need the dpf, and that no dealer has one in California, and then wait 2-4 more weeks to hope for resolution. That’s been the story with each part so far. Starting to regret not investing in a gallon of gas and a pack of matches
Try a Re gen first? Buy a foxwell scan tool, maybe on Amazon, so if it doesn't work for you, you can return it, but get the one that is able to do re gen. Better to do re gen before new dpf.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Try a Re gen first? Buy a foxwell scan tool, maybe on Amazon, so if it doesn't work for you, you can return it, but get the one that is able to do re gen. Better to do re gen before new dpf.
I’ve done multiple regens via Gretio at various stages and after other sensor changes. So far no luck but no harm in trying it again.

· Reverend Red Bull
1,154 Posts
If you're interested in purchasing a working used DPF, check your private messages.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Update, took it to dealer for formal diagnosis and they did the soot test and confirmed bad dpf. Also confirmed there are 52 cases already for this. He also mentioned there was 170+ and counting cases for DPFs for the 2500 trucks. 71 of which will never get their filters because the factory they were produced in closed for good during Covid.
I currently am waiting for a return call from the California smog ref office. Since the DPF is also the cat, the process is that they attempt to track it down. And when they can’t find it they can then exempt me for smog purposes due to an unavailable part. That’s my last hope before I sell it out of state or part it out

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Update, smog ref called me back. He confirmed the parts are not available and walked me through the process so for you Cali members in DPF purgatory here’s how it’ll go.
1) Call the 800 number for the smog ref
2) follow the prompts and let them know the part you are trying to find is a catylic converter ( this bypasses a wasted step of calling another number and them trying to find the part first)
3) ref will call you back from a no caller ID number 2 weeks later and confirm they are not available.
4) he will give you a list of docs to include in an email that he will provide you.
-1) renewal notice/pink slip/incomplete reg.
-2) copy of failed smog.
-3) formal diagnosis of DPF failure. The smog is supposed to be dated before the diagnosis.

He said after that he can grant me the exemption. I’m assuming it’s a 2 year. And I won’t be able to sell the car in state but I’ll be road legal.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
No, but mine had been doing that for a while. Weirdly, changing the Map sensor seemed to get it back to normal. That isn’t why I changed the map sensor- I just noticed the correlation when it happened.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Update

wasn’t able to get the ref exception because somehow the case I made with GM led to them finding & sending a DPF to my local dealer. DPF was replaced. Drove it past 3 days to get the monitors cleared to smog again.

check engine light comes back on: P2002

When I took it to them, they refused to acknowledge that it could be anything other than the DPF. So now I am $2k poorer and that much more bitter and not only do I still not have a street legal car, but the smog ref won’t grant me an exemption for the unavailable part because it was indeed available. something else is causing the P2002 and no one seems interested in actually figuring out what.

the car runs amazing. As good or better than the day I drove it off the lot, it’s ridiculous. I almost wish I had a smog exempt mini truck or something to swap the motor into.

· Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
105 Posts
Snipsey should know for sure if this is a thing on this car but I wonder if they reset the DPF in the computer. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that option in gretio, I know when I have to have a DPF cleaned or replaced on something heavy duty I have to tell the ECM it's been done.

If that is a thing for this car then check the invoice and see if they documented that it was done. The ECM might still think the filter is full.

· Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Snipsey should know for sure if this is a thing on this car but I wonder if they reset the DPF in the computer. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that option in gretio, I know when I have to have a DPF cleaned or replaced on something heavy duty I have to tell the ECM it's been done.

If that is a thing for this car then check the invoice and see if they documented that it was done. The ECM might still think the filter is full.
There are various resets….. They don’t really do anything.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Mechanic has had the car all week. Can’t figure out what is wrong and is giving up, he needs the space in the shop & wants me to pick it up. I may just be out of options

· Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I'm guessing GM doesn't track accumulated ash then? Maybe it isn't a light duty thing.

Detroit/MB will track it and start throwing codes at a certain point. International tracks it but most of them break before it gets to that point lol
No. It would be kinda pointless. The profile of the DPF makes it impossible to service without welding.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts