Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two Cruze TD's, both with just under 50,000 miles on them. We also have a Cruze Eco: all three vehicles are used by our service technicians.

One of the TD's had a check engine light come on. A trip to the local dealer and the service writer indicated it was a problem with the DEF tank. They went on to tell us that there were only two DEF tanks available, in stock at other dealers, and that the other dealers did not want to part with them. No date or time period was offered: the car was returned to us.

This is a problem because the yearly inspection is overdue. We either have to leave the car sit, or risk getting a ticket for expired inspection.

We were given the card of the Service Director, who declined to put us in touch with anyone at GM.

Anyone heard of this problem? What's the best way to get it resolved?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
From what I have read on here, the dealer has to get hold of GM TAC (Technical Assistance Center or something like that) and they can release/expedite the parts. Many dealer service centers do not know about this apparently... I'm sure others will jump in as well.

Reactions: Merc6 and Tomko

·
Registered
791 Posts
We have two Cruze TD's, both with just under 50,000 miles on them. We also have a Cruze Eco: all three vehicles are used by our service technicians.

One of the TD's had a check engine light come on. A trip to the local dealer and the service writer indicated it was a problem with the DEF tank. They went on to tell us that there were only two DEF tanks available, in stock at other dealers, and that the other dealers did not want to part with them. No date or time period was offered: the car was returned to us.

This is a problem because the yearly inspection is overdue. We either have to leave the car sit, or risk getting a ticket for expired inspection.

We were given the card of the Service Director, who declined to put us in touch with anyone at GM.

dear Garandman...........thank you very much for purchasing a GM car .................oh by the way your on your own now!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Contact the GM Customer representative on this forum. Send them a PM with your VIN, and contact information and they will create an appointment for you.

It's true that GM has these parts on Restricted stock, but a dealership should know the procedure to get them. If they don't they deserve a little push from big poppa GM.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm glad I don't have a diesel vehicle. Never cared for the loud engine, though much quieter these days. Now with the DEF tanks it sounds like a real PITA.
Not worth the extra savings in fuel plus diesel fuel has been more $$$ than gas lately.
Good luck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tips. I sent an email to [email protected] which seems to be the contact.

I'm glad I don't have a diesel vehicle. Never cared for the loud engine, though much quieter these days. Now with the DEF tanks it sounds like a real PITA.
Not worth the extra savings in fuel plus diesel fuel has been more $$$ than gas lately.
Good luck.
Workin' on the old post count, eh?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The email was just delivered and read (I turned on the Notify) so we'll see what happens next! I gave them the dealer contact info.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Good luck.
Not here, regular is $2.09 and diesel is $1.95

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

Seems like if GM social media support isn't able to resolve this for you, you may have to enlist the help of a lemon lawyer. But before all that, someone with more knowledge can chime in, but I would think they are obligated to put you in a loaner car until yours is fixed.

Magnuson moss warranty act and lemon law should be in your corner if needed, but that's only a very last resort. Good luck with this and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had this same problem with my car, took about a month for them to get me the tank. Now its sitting at the dealer because the DEF tank is now leaking. GOOD LUCK!! Calling GM did help a little, because when i did they got me a tank the next week after i called.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Good luck.
Thanks for the tips. I sent an email to [email protected] which seems to be the contact.

Workin' on the old post count, eh?

Not just post count, but he doesn't know what he's talking about. ^^^^ While the DEF tank has been an issue, many have not suffered from it and it's no reason NOT to buy a diesel. Right now, in Hellinois , I am getting #2 diesel for 20-25 cents less than regular gas.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Not just post count, but he doesn't know what he's talking about. ^^^^ While the DEF tank has been an issue, many have not suffered from it and it's no reason NOT to buy a diesel. Right now, in Hellinois , I am getting #2 diesel for 20-25 cents less than regular gas.
You guys are making a lot of false assumptions. For example Diesel has been more expensive than gas until recently like I mentioned but you two took it out of context to cause a problem.
Way to go.
I mentioned the reasons I don't like diesels(not you)yet again you guys took that out of context also.

Yesterday I saw gas for $2.00 and the same station had diesel for $2.05. Pretty close to the same price now. Not long ago I remember diesel was .50 higher. But I don't pay much attention to diesel because I don't use it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Seems like if GM social media support isn't able to resolve this for you, you may have to enlist the help of a lemon lawyer. But before all that, someone with more knowledge can chime in, but I would think they are obligated to put you in a loaner car until yours is fixed. //
GM Social media support contacted me very promptly, contacted the dealer, and made sure they took the necessary measures to obtain "Restricted Stock." They emailed me Friday to say it was in process.

We got a call from the dealership notifying us that the part was in, and sent the car over to be repaired. The remote start wasn't working but that may have been tied to the check engine light. It may linger a day but should be all set. The dealer said they won't sure they could work on it tomorrow because "We didn't expect you to bring it over today."

We could still drive the car, so a loaner wasn't really necessary. The only snag for us was that the inspection sticker was due. Now that should be behind us.

We still like the TD's better than the Eco and they are always the first ones chosen for trips. The new 1.6L TD should get insane mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
791 Posts
GM Social media support contacted me very promptly, contacted the dealer, and made sure they took the necessary measures to obtain "Restricted Stock." They emailed me Friday to say it was in process.

We got a call from the dealership notifying us that the part was in, and sent the car over to be repaired. The remote start wasn't working but that may have been tied to the check engine light. It may linger a day but should be all set. The dealer said they won't sure they could work on it tomorrow because "We didn't expect you to bring it over today."

We could still drive the car, so a loaner wasn't really necessary. The only snag for us was that the inspection sticker was due. Now that should be behind us.

We still like the TD's better than the Eco and they are always the first ones chosen for trips. The new 1.6L TD should get insane mpg on the highway.
was the tank under warranty? you where past your bumper to bumper.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

Glad to hear progress is being made. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The def system is covered under the emissions warranty. I can't remember how many years but its 88k miles. I recently had a check engine light for SCR inefficiency and they found one of the three DEF tank heaters to be bad (was the middle of winter). have 60K on the car and covered under warranty.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts