Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

With everyone seemingly have issues with the emission related components, would we have a case, especially for DEF related components I see people paying $400 for, saying the emission components are not meeting the federal standard of 120k miles?

To me, the SCR is not just the catalyst but anything that makes it work. With the crack down on emission chest devices, it is not a far off assumption that when a CEL appears for any sensor related to emissions that the emission output is altered.

This is just for discussion.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
While a good number of people are having issues, I certainly wouldn't say everyone is. I haven't had a single problem with my car in general, let alone the emissions system.

·
Registered
706 Posts
good luck seems gm dosent really care about our issues after they get our money its bullshit that monitoring/controlling emissions is not considered part of emission warranty as ive said many times this put a bad taste in my mouth and first/last gm when i was a Chrysler tech that was a non issue

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I think "useful life" and "warranty" are two totally different things. There can be manufacturing or design defects in something that shortens its useful life

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
If people can, it's an excellent idea to get the emissions delete.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Fleece. Will void your warranty but in all honesty the only issues we're seeing anyway is emissions

Reactions: silvertank

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
I'm not sure that Mother Nature or the people who enforce emissions compliance would agree with you.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
It depends on the exact wording of the Clean Air Act. I suspect GM's legal team had a large role in writing the warranty coverage for all their vehicles.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I don't know about that. I am at 182K miles, and my total out of pocket for all emissions related repairs and service is still about $1000 less than what a delete would have cost - plus I am polluting a lot less too.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I don't know about that. I am at 182K miles, and my total out of pocket for all emissions related repairs and service is still about $1000 less than what a delete would have cost - plus I am polluting a lot less too.
I guess I should have said people who are experiencing lots of emissions issues. I'm with you, i like that I'm not polluting and only the NOx #2 sensor has failed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's unfortunate but you seem to be the exception and not the rule. I was put out an extra $40/wk in fuel driving the courtesy vehicle. Then spending time on the phone. A months payment I didn't drive the car but was then reimbursed. Currently, if I valued my time, I'd be at $240 out of pocket. Not bad but then came the stress of making sure I didn't do anything to the courtesy vehicle.

This was just driving to and from work. I also missed out on a drag race I wanted to attend so it may have saved me money there but was a nuisance. I didn't have use of it like I would going to do some shopping with my family. Instead of $10 in fuel to do the required shopping an hour away, we spent more taking the minivan. We try to use it for longer trips where less comfort and space is something we tolerate to save on fuel.

So out of pocket is small but there's things I use the economical car for that it was unavailable for me to do. It is quickly adding up to the point a delete is looking VERY tempting and would pay for itself back quickly. Not just in time in the shop, or the mileage increase it'll bring but also the reason I bought it, to be an economical car.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
It's unfortunate but you seem to be the exception and not the rule. I was put out an extra $40/wk in fuel driving the courtesy vehicle. Then spending time on the phone. A months payment I didn't drive the car but was then reimbursed. Currently, if I valued my time, I'd be at $240 out of pocket. Not bad but then came the stress of making sure I didn't do anything to the courtesy vehicle.

This was just driving to and from work. I also missed out on a drag race I wanted to attend so it may have saved me money there but was a nuisance. I didn't have use of it like I would going to do some shopping with my family. Instead of $10 in fuel to do the required shopping an hour away, we spent more taking the minivan. We try to use it for longer trips where less comfort and space is something we tolerate to save on fuel.

So out of pocket is small but there's things I use the economical car for that it was unavailable for me to do. It is quickly adding up to the point a delete is looking VERY tempting and would pay for itself back quickly. Not just in time in the shop, or the mileage increase it'll bring but also the reason I bought it, to be an economical car.
I know my experience seems unusual, but keep in mind there are thousands of happy diesel Cruze drivers out there that never come to the forums. The forums tend to attract people who have issues with their cars, so it skews the numbers. If you go to any car forum and read a few posts, you wouldn't buy anything!

Reactions: Kris_r and obermd

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know my experience seems unusual, but keep in mind there are thousands of happy diesel Cruze drivers out there that never come to the forums. The forums tend to attract people who have issues with their cars, so it skews the numbers. If you go to any car forum and read a few posts, you wouldn't buy anything!
You're right...

But you're wrong.

You're right if you use this as a statistical standard. The sample size here is excruciatingly small. The few people who come here are information seekers. They also are engaging to either help find a solution or backup a preconceived notion. I also realize people only seek help when something goes wrong.

What you don't realize is forums show trends. If it was a few people saying a def tank here or DPF there, then it's not enough for a trend.

What I'm seeing is a trend of sensor failures in the exhaust system. What's that from? Poor QC? Poor tuning? Poor parameters?

If you went to the forums for Cummins VP pump failures, Duramax LLY overheating issues, or Powerstrokes 6.0L, you'd say there's s problem. Many reports.

How many reports of 6.4L powerstroke cracked pistons, Duramax Lmm broken cranks, or 03-04 Cummins dropped valve seats? Not as much but there's a trend. With those trends are also solutions.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Seems like one of those situations that if you have had lots of emission issues with the CTD, you would obviously be frustrated and think the EPA screwed the consumer and maybe GM didn't build a good product.

On the other side, if you have not had issues and get lots of miles like many have without any dollars spent, you would conclude hey this is a Great car and very efficient and a pleasure to drive. And wonder why would people drop a lot of money to delete the emissions and pollute the air we all breathe.

I can see both sides, I haven't had any issues yet and hope it stays that way.

Reactions: obermd and diesel

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You're right...

But you're wrong.

You're right if you use this as a statistical standard. The sample size here is excruciatingly small. The few people who come here are information seekers. They also are engaging to either help find a solution or backup a preconceived notion. I also realize people only seek help when something goes wrong.

What you don't realize is forums show trends. If it was a few people saying a def tank here or DPF there, then it's not enough for a trend.

What I'm seeing is a trend of sensor failures in the exhaust system. What's that from? Poor QC? Poor tuning? Poor parameters?

If you went to the forums for Cummins VP pump failures, Duramax LLY overheating issues, or Powerstrokes 6.0L, you'd say there's s problem. Many reports.

How many reports of 6.4L powerstroke cracked pistons, Duramax Lmm broken cranks, or 03-04 Cummins dropped valve seats? Not as much but there's a trend. With those trends are also solutions.
What's this about the LLY overheating? I own a 2004.5 duramax so I'm curious.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What's this about the LLY overheating? I own a 2004.5 duramax so I'm curious.
Iirc, it was a combination of too small of an oil cooler, head gasket design, and coolant spec. There's a famous YouTube video where a guy recorded his truck over heating, getting passed by a Cummins with a bigger load. The biggest complaint is the coolant temp stays in the normal range when temps are really around 215-220*.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
You're right...

But you're wrong.

I do realize that, and you just reminded me that I started working on a "Cruze Diesel Common Issues and Fixes" document. I really need to finish that.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts