Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Diesel Exhaust Pump Repair over $1500?

3387 Views 24 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  MP81
I bought the 2014 Chevy Cruze used with about 62k miles on it in 2018. Now I have had some minor servicing done due to leaving it sitting for months while I went through basic training which was to be expected. Now at 74k miles my def pump went out. The repair and labor totaled over 1500 which I don’t know if I overpaid. I initially brought it in for the “poor exhaust fluid quality, speed will be limited to 65mph in 100mi”. Also not even a full week later on my way into base my check engine light turns back on. Help please
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
Where did you bring it for this service?

Why was this not covered by the Special Coverage that GM gave to all CTD owners? Did you delete your emissions or otherwise alter your vehicle from factory?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve made no changes to my vehicle at all. I don’t know much about cars and I brought it to a local Chevy dealer here in Jacksonville Florida. I wasn’t aware of any special coverage from GM. Is there a link or something I can use to find that information?

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Reactions: MRO1791 and Tomko

· Reverend Red Bull
1,154 Posts
Dealer list price on the pump is just under $500 (but sells online for less than $250). Replacing pump is no more than a 30 minute job, so not sure where the other $900 came from, unless they spent a full day running diagnosis on it before doing the repair.

The pump is bolted to the top of the reservoir, so only the reservoir underneath, but not the pump itself, is covered under the special coverage. I've never heard of a def pump going up yet, though, which makes me wonder if it was really a NOX2 sensor, clogged injector, etc. and they just threw parts at it, thus the return of your engine light immediately after.

· Registered
1,088 Posts
This is why I buy the tools and do my own work. There is no way that repair should cost you $915 in labor. That is insane.

Reactions: A2N1T5

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Says it was opened at 1:30pm 21oct20 and completed 5:27pm 22oct20. However I was waiting at the dealership from 1:30 until 4 before they told me the diesel tech isn’t in and will have to look at it tomorrow. So I have no idea how long the repair actually took there’s nothing on my receipt that says anything otherwise

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.